Intel's Cedar Trail-M to be Released in December

Status
Not open for further replies.

marclee37

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
release some more powerful models the demand will come, it is still 1.6ghz so how is its difference from the very original n280? ppl who already bought netbook don't have great reasons to upgrade their netbooks. do the coming netbooks still have 2gb ram limitation on it? make something that meets people's need please. tablet is not good for inputing text, i would rather stick with netbook, use it as a complement to desktop is good.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009

I agree. There is not much difference between my 3 year old netbook and a netbook I could buy today. The big difference is that they have 10" screens now (I have 8") and some models have HDMI out. Unless it has an AMD APU and can have more than 2 gigs of RAM there is not much reason I would buy a new one.

[citation][nom]marclee37[/nom]release some more powerful models the demand will come, it is still 1.6ghz so how is its difference from the very original n280? ppl who already bought netbook don't have great reasons to upgrade their netbooks. do the coming netbooks still have 2gb ram limitation on it? make something that meets people's need please. tablet is not good for inputing text, i would rather stick with netbook, use it as a complement to desktop is good.[/citation]

You forget Atoms main design goal, low power consumption.

Cedar Trail is 32nm, current is 45nm, has a integrated GPU that will fully support Blu-Ray 2.0 and full 1080P. It will also sport DP, enable much lower TDPs that can allow a fanless design and as well longer battery life.

jamie_1318

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
The reason is probably duel core on a much lower Power usage. That said a 1.6GHz single core CPU will still be botlenecked be the HD most of the time. Especially for the typical things you would do on a netbook and with cheap Hard Drives they ship with.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]marclee37[/nom]release some more powerful models the demand will come, it is still 1.6ghz so how is its difference from the very original n280? ppl who already bought netbook don't have great reasons to upgrade their netbooks. do the coming netbooks still have 2gb ram limitation on it? make something that meets people's need please. tablet is not good for inputing text, i would rather stick with netbook, use it as a complement to desktop is good.[/citation]
Since when is a MHz figure the definitive performance indicator? In your perspective a Pentium IV 3.8 GHZ should be just a little slower than the top of the line i7-3960X. There's a lot more to a CPU performance than a simple MHz figure. Also N280 is a single core CPU while the N2600 is a dual core CPU.

c_herring

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]Intel Atom Cedar trail I bet is still slower than a Pentium M Dothan clock for clock, core against core.Too slow.[/citation]The first Atoms definitely were slower clock-for-clock, but the Atom D410 @ 1.6GHz (single core, ~10W TDP - and that includes IGP and memory controller) has similar performance compared to a Pentium M @ 1.6GHz (20W TDP, and memory/graphics require supporting chipsets) - surprising for an in-order-execution CPU, but the microarchitecture has come a long way; Dothan was a die-shrink of what is now a 10 year old design and a "backup" in case Netburst wasn't suitable for laptops. (Someone must have been prescient!)

The real issue is whether or not Cedar Trail tablets and netbooks can beat the price and battery life of ARM tablets. I can't imagine full-fledged laptops with Atoms yet, and in the meantime AMD is going to entrench itself in that market.

marclee37

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]You forget Atoms main design goal, low power consumption.Cedar Trail is 32nm, current is 45nm, has a integrated GPU that will fully support Blu-Ray 2.0 and full 1080P. It will also sport DP, enable much lower TDPs that can allow a fanless design and as well longer battery life.[/citation]

did THG do any review on atom cpu? i dont have any impression.
as an end user, i only care the value the new netbook can bring me, whether the new netbook meet my new need. i looked at wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_atom

The Pineview platform has proven to be only slightly faster than the previous Diamondville platform. This is because the Pineview platform uses the same Bonnell execution core as Diamondville and is connected to the memory controller via the FSB, hence memory latency and performance in CPU-intensive applications are minimally improved

and i trusted it, i would not spend money to test myself. how intel market their "new" product is their issue, as a user i only care what change this new cpu can bring. my current netbook cant last long after unplugged from power outlet. all mobile devices face this same problem: notebook, netbook, tablet, phones.. i don't think this new atom can have big achievement.

on the wiki page it said , performance of a single core Atom is about half that of a Pentium M of the same clock rate if there is greater increase in mhz figure, i expect it has greater advancement, it's normal for most users

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Sure, an improvement is nice, but I do think that after a good year or two, Intel's missed the boat. While the base CPU's TDP is slightly higher than that of the existing Intel Pineville cores, AMD's Ontatio-core netbook CPU easily have the Atoms thoroughly beat in performance. It's just the CPU's power, but also the VASTLY better integrated GPUs, which ironically wind up being the best graphics performance one could get on a laptop.
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]Since when is a MHz figure the definitive performance indicator? In your perspective a Pentium IV 3.8 GHZ should be just a little slower than the top of the line i7-3960X. There's a lot more to a CPU performance than a simple MHz figure. Also N280 is a single core CPU while the N2600 is a dual core CPU.[/citation]
It is indicative when it's the same architecture. Otherwise there'd be, y'kow, no point to overclocking? A chief problem of the Atom is that, clock-for-clock, it more closely matches the Pentium 4 than modern Athlon/Phenoms, let alone antything of Intel's with the word "Core" as part of the brand name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS