News Intel's comeback appears on track — CEO Gelsinger says 18A process node performance is 'a little bit ahead' of TSMC's N2, but Intel's process arriv...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sivaseemakurthi

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2012
The only thing Intel is lacking will be credibility considering their abysmal track record since 10nm. It may take a few generations before customers start trusting them.

Reactions: endocine

kjfatl

Reputable
Apr 15, 2020
None of Intel's 5 new processes are likely to remain stagnant. It will take a few years to optimize each of them. I would expect 1 or more of them to be phased out completely with new designs using a different, more cost effective processes In addition, Intel has 2 future unnamed processes that will go online in then next 4 or 5 years. This is nothing new or very different than what is done at other semiconductor fabs. The result is likely to have Intel manufacturing 20 or more flavors parts. The chance of success is high. The chance of disasters on one or more nodes is significant. Every process that Intel has is likely to match a similar process manufactured by TSMC.

Chances are pretty high that Intel 4 is a one and done and won't be used again (at least by Intel), but I expect Intel 3 to be around for a long time. Barring manufacturing problems with 18A I'm assuming 20A will be similar to Intel 4. Intel should have a pretty big technology advantage with RibbonFET (gate-all-around) and PowerVia (back-side power delivery) which could make up for some density disadvantages.

It will be interesting to see if IFS decides to name node optimizations for branding purposes or stick with the same naming as Intel has in the past.

Hoping that Samsung can get their manufacturing squared away since they got GAA working first, but don't seem to have been able to scale it. Having three leading edge manufacturers should do wonders for availability and keeping pricing somewhat stable.

Reactions: kjfatl

Co BIY

Splendid
Intel's says this, Nvidia says that, AMD says this... What a bunch of big-mouthed trash-talkers!

OTOH ...

They are all investing multiple Billions in Fabs producing actual products used by Billions and sold for even more Billions more at generous margins.

It's possible they are not talking enough but even more likely that more people should be listening and responding in an intelligent way.

In our social media age Pericles' speeches to the Athenians and the Lincoln Douglas debates would probably be reduced to Tiktok shorts, humorous memes, and "sick burns".

Dec 22, 2023
Bro, you are gone if you think these companies are being generous. Nothing I can say to help you there. But, as for what I was talking about, I was referring the fact that everyday an article comes up that's about some dude working for either one of these companies, trash-talking the competition. I get it, but it's just very funny to watch. And listening to them? You can't tell how good a product is by listening to the person selling it to you, or its competitor. Nothing that can come out of them has any value.

fret

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2013
"Intel's comeback appears on track: Gelsinger says 18A process node performance is 'a little bit ahead' of TSMC's N2, but Intel's process arrives a year earlier"

At this point, the only real winner is going to us customers. Regardless of who ends up being AHEAD, it likely won't be by much.

Could Intel start to run away with it? Hard to say.; But I'd guess their competition isn't just going to sit there and let it happen.

Either way, in the near future, Performance per PRICE, Ecosystem, and Preference will be the only Primary drivers for future sales. (they likely are right now anyways.)

Good time for PC's.

Status
Not open for further replies.