Intel's Core i7-4770K Overclocked to 5.0 GHz on Just 0.904 V

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmpumper

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009

The CPU would be downclocked along with downvolting on idle. As you can see, the CPU is at 5.1GHz, therefore the voltage is load, not idle.

As for the second part, other CPUZ screens show all cores/threads enabled at 5.1GHz 0.9v so I don't know what the hell you are talking about here:
4770K-5-GHz-OC.jpg

ohhgourami

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011

CPU-Z is currently reading the FVIR as VCORE. Tom's has no idea. This is actually a few days old news...

That's just bad new reporting!

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011

Christian Ney from OCAHOLIC speculated about 5.5 on air, people have already pushed it 7 on all 4 cores and 8 on 2C/2T, if memory serves me correctly.

Between Silvermont and Haswell, I've come to the conclusion that Intel is brilliantly mad. :D

G

something is wrong it says 4 cores 4 threads
wasnt the i7-4770k 4 cores 8 threads?
or is it an setup ment to be?

InvalidError

Titan

If you disable SpeedStep as most overclock record attempts do - many gamers do so to avoid potential stuttering from clock changes, the CPU remains at full-speed/voltage regardless of load.

So full clock/voltage is not a reliable indicator of actual CPU load.

gsxrme

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
WoW! good god, I want to see this compare from my 2600k running at 5049Mhz 1.5v w/o hyper junk enabled in gaming benchmarks. This CPU might be an upgrade unlike Ivy from Sandy. Ivy was nothing more than a HUGE let down. GO HASWELL!

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/2087/hoodwinkedz.jpg

The 4770k screenshots could have been taken during a low-power state, the same way I took the screenshot above of my 2600k @ 4.4gHz on just .936 volts... I let the computer idle, then opened up Google Chrome, and captured that sliver of time in a screenshot. The chip ramps itself up to its highest multiplier but doesn't need to raise the v-core too much since the load is transitory. 5gHz at .904 is good, my 2600k would BSOD before I could ever get it there... but we should still put things into perspective.

7ghz on a suicidal 2.56v, now 5ghz on 0.9v. Thanks for the fish but I ain't hungry, this is another fantastic photoshoped effort. I mean 5ghz on less voltage than its stable stock voltages.
/exits another waste of time.

laststop311

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
I'm impressed, too bad the hex core 49xx series will be ivy bridge. Why must intel make their enterprise cpu's 1 generation behind. I won't be moving from my i7-980x. It's got at least another year in it maybe 2-3.

InvalidError

Titan

Likely so they can work out any significant architecture bugs and do that much more testing before risking putting it into potentially mission-critical servers.

That way, they get a whole year of "field-testing" in consumer CPUs by millions of developers and hackers to help dispel doubts that there may still be significant latent bugs waiting to be discovered. No CPU manufacturer wants to be the proud owner of the next AMD's TLB bug or Intel's FP bug type episode... particularly in the server market where liabilities can be much higher than just replacing defective CPUs.

cmi86

Distinguished
I don't buy it, Id wager a significant bet that the second you put a load on that system it will go down faster than Barrack Obama's approval ratings. It's not that I don't give haswell props for improving on intel's already great efficiency because it did. However ill believe a crazy claim like this when i see it.

5 Ghz on .097V and posting so I would think even when cherry picked so the speeds will high

InvalidError

Titan

Wait and see. Only two more weeks to go before reviews start pouring.

Since Haswell has more complex circuitry on the same process as Ivy Bridge, I would not expect substantially better overclocks under normal operating conditions with a real workload applied.

ShiftyTys

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
You all do realise that CPUz incorrectly reports voltage on newer CPU's right? my 2600k when it first came out: CPUz picked up my 5ghz, but it was @ .9vcore as well. needed to use the bundled OC software with my board just as a vcore checker.

ShiftyTys

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
You all do realise that CPUz incorrectly reports voltage on newer CPU's right? my 2600k when it first came out: CPUz picked up my 5ghz, but it was @ .9vcore as well. needed to use the bundled OC software with my board just as a vcore checker.

Status
Not open for further replies.