Intel's Core i7: Blazing Fast, But Crippled O/C

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MafiaAce

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
It looks like Intel is starting to get cocky with its huge performance lead over AMD with the i7 architecture... limiting OC ability is going to turn off a lot of gamers and overclockers. I guess Intel wasn't lying when they said the e8600 would be the last great dual-core cpu. That said, I think Gamers will continue to base their systems off of the LGA775 for some time now, even when the price drops into next year and it isn't so ridiculous, what is more attractive for a mainstream gamer... an i7 running at ~3ghz that you can't overclock, or an e8600 that is 10-20% slower at gaming, is stock at 3.33Ghz, and easily overlclock to 4.3-4.5Ghz on air alone?

Personally, I'm sticking to the 775 socket until i7 drops in price to the point where it is actually cheaper than a 775 cpu, mbo and ram and offers better performance at the same time.. which looks rough considering limited overclocking. AMD, the next couple years look like a great time to make a comeback....

Area51

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
There is no limit on OC with the 920 and 940.. didn't you see the Intel Guy's comments? Why are we still talking about this...Just because Tomshardware said so it dosn't make it true. look at other sites. they have done it.
my i965 run great at 1.30V with AIR COOLING at 3,9GHz Prime95 stable ...

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=205779

i920 is pretty stable at 3,6GHz with AIR COOLING and base clock at 170MHz ...
best choice for money/value is i940, is overclockable to 3.7 - 3,8GHz on AIR ... with best mobo

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
What percentage of chips get overclocked? I am guessing the vast majority of CPU's are bought by large OEMs and get used in motherboards with no over clocking potential.

If so then am not sure how much overclocking can help or hurt their bottom line.

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
The writer of this article must own alot of stock in Intel to write "this processor is 2.6 time as fast as AMD's fastest". Even looking at your selected benchmarks I only see around 50-90% greater benchmarks. Mabye this was an error on your part but statemants like these could end up unjustly damaging an already hurting AMD. If AMD goes out of business then you would have snail pace improvents in processors in general due to no competeition. The price of computers would stay high Just look at microsoft. Their operating system hasn't dropped in price in 15 years although computer hardware has dropped due to competition. I agree AMD has some catching up to do but it's not as lopsided as you make it out to be.

anartik

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
For the most part the article was pretty informative regarding Nehalem.

However there is a huge glaring point that Tom's has neglected to respond to and I'm quite surprised no one has pointedly asked the question. The answer to this may tend to discredit this whole article and of course all the alarmist banter in this thread. I could possibly understand the error due to the testing with an Intel board that maybe does not have the option.

Tom's does "CPU VR current override" exist in the BIOS and do the non extreme chips respond the the setting by ignoring the thermal limits???

anartik

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
Ok my bad... you did answer the question in a completely different article. I'd probably still ask the question why this article was not fixed.

zads

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
The memory multiplier on the X58 and Core i7-940 is not limited to 6x and 8x.
10x and 12x are also unlocked.
I am testing using the retail version (not engineering sample) of the motherboard and the processor.
How you ask?
I'm an engineer for one of two Intel Master distributors in the US.

drysocks

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]zads[/nom]The memory multiplier on the X58 and Core i7-940 is not limited to 6x and 8x. 10x and 12x are also unlocked. I am testing using the retail version (not engineering sample) of the motherboard and the processor. How you ask? I'm an engineer for one of two Intel Master distributors in the US.[/citation]I'm not clear on what you are saying. Are you saysing that the Core i7-940 has multipliers of 6, 8, 10 and 12 on your plateform?

da bahstid

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2008
So I think the objective conclusion from the benchmarks when clocks are left stock would be that Nehalem is a mild improvement over Core2, maintaining a relatively solid lead over AMD. Actually it's a bit less than I expected, so I'm glad I wasn't planning on replacing my 3.8GHz E8500 anytime soon. Similarly leaves me happy enough with my 3.0GHz 8750BE triple-core, which still comes close enough in practical performance that I'm not really worried.

Really, Intel is almost being nice to AMD by pricing things so high. Would we really prefer that Intel drops prices as much as possible, completely ensuring that AMD goes under? Naw. Intel may as well reap the benefits from pushing the boundaries, even if only incrementally. Where CPUs are, I'm fine getting 85% of the performance for 50% of the cost.

neonvii

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
looks like The Empire has struck back once again! AMD was our protection against this price-gouging policy that intel wants to resurrect once again. but thanks to this "no more overclocking" policy, i think AMD will be champoined by the people, especially the enthusiasts. sometimes having a quick out-of-the-box CPU is only have the fun, pushing the limits of a cheap CPU is what facinates the techies.
AMD will now have the chance to once again count on their original base of enthusiasts and progressives, but hopefully they do it soon so we dont have to suffer for long. GO AMD!!!!!

[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]Very disappointed in the hard coding of the OCing barrier. Seriously puts a dent on Intel for that. Too bad it's hard coded else there will be a mod for any BIOS solution. [/citation]
After reading the Core i7 editorial, I am now informed that the OCing protection can be indeed disabled. You might want to edit this article or at least add a link to the Core i7 Editorial. Disregard my earlier post.

jv_acabal

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
i7 is Amazingly fast. I believe, with all research and costs, AMD gave Core2 its best shot but can't get past its speed and efficiency. Only Intel knows how to beat the fastest Core2 CPU.

jv_acabal

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
One question. Why does the mobo cost more now that it has lost the memory controller part? Perhaps it is more difficult to make mobo's without memory controllers..just kiddin'

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Overclockers shouldn’t get their hopes up though: all standard models are equipped with an overclocking lock.
To put a stop to the practice, Intel has ensured that only the $1,000 high-end model will operate beyond the TDP barrier of 130 W (110 A). The less expensive Core i7 versions—the 920 and 940—will begin throttling back their clock speeds once they reach this threshold. Sadly, it looks like the days in which a $150 CPU is able to reach the performance of a $1,000 processor are over—at least for now. While small tweaks are still possible, major performance increases through overclocking are no longer an option.
Cangelini, Please fix these pretty serious bits of misinformation, as per the quote below.
Let me add a little detail. In the BIOS, you have a setting call "CPU VR current override", and if you select this to ENABLE, your CPU will ignore the TDP limits, and the TDC limit. There is no "cripple Overclocking", we proactively putted this feature to make sure the Overclockers will have fun.
Try it yourself, and have fun!

Thanks!
Francois Piednoel
Intel Corp.

shadowmaster625

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
What kind of idiot is going to pay $1000 for a cpu just to get the version that can overclock? Who is going to pay $500 for a cpu that wont even be as fast as an overclocked core 2 that costs half as much? shrug. I dont know who these idiots are, but please buy as many as you can so the rest of us dont have to pay as much!

wavebossa

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Intel has to right to limit OC*ing. Although it is VERY annoying, it is their product and all they have to do is to garuntee that it runs at specificied speeds.

This is similar to when Nvidia started laser-locking their chips so that people couldn't just re-enable shaders and bump a 6800 to a 6800GT and a 7800 to a 7800GTX.

I will still admit, overclocking is a big part of computing for most of us techies. This is annoying, justifiable, but annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.