Intel's Haswell May Be Last Interchangeable Desktop CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
This is just another rumor, that will end up being false.
At most, it will be used in the mobile sector, that is the only case I can see it being remotely truthful.

v90k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
[citation][nom]xpeh[/nom]I wonder who thought this was a good idea? If I wanted a console I'd buy a PS3 or an Xbox 360 or something.[/citation]

Some idiot who just graduated from Harvard with a Master's in tardology.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
i tend to buy one chip and stick with it, till upgrading the machine, but it is nice to have the option... also very enthusiast and gamer unfriendly, if amd doesn't go this way and they can keep price to performance competative i agree with spentshells amd will get my buisness

guru_urug

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Tomorrow's news,
AMD: No plans to stop competing in the Desktop CPU market.

The only way this might help is by making it easier to optimize the performance of the board with the CPU. But would it really be worth it leaving the consumer no upgrade path?

yeesh

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
The impact wouldn't be about upgrading. With the pace at which the tech in mobos evolves (and the limitations of support for newer CPUs), I figure most of us buy a new CPU and a new mobo together. But the impact in that purchasing would be enormous. How many variations of a CPU would your preferred maker offer with the mobo you want? How many different varieties would a vendor carry? The change would vastly narrow everyone's choices when it's time to build a new PC, not just the minority of people who actually upgrade CPUs independently.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
[citation][nom]spentshells[/nom]AMD didn't even need to make up its own comeback strategy.[/citation]
Agreed, If Intel does do this, they just automatically handaded AMD the torch.

frombehind

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
although this *may* make sense for applications where space is at a premium and high-end performance is not as important as the tiny form factor (ultra-books, other "mobile" devices, and maybe integrated "appliance" solutions) This simply does not make any sense for desktop computing where form is irrelevant and pure horsepower (various benchmarks, and game frame-rates) is the most common unit of measurement.

bucknutty

Distinguished
The biggest problem I see with this is what happens to the motherboard manufacturers. For example right now I want an i5. I have like 250 boards to choose from starting at $50 and going all the way up to 350. Are all those now going to come with a cpu attached? How many different board and cpu options will there be on the market? It just seems from a inventory and manufacturing view it would be much more difficult to have as many options. Right now there are like 10 i3s and 10 i5s and 5 i7s that will all fit in the same 1155 board. So to have as many options in a basic $50 mobo the manufacturer would need to have 25 skus instead of only 1.

Think about an e-tailer like newegg. Right now they have 250 1155 boards and 25 1155 cpus. Thats 275 inventory items for them to stock and it allows the customer a million options. If they had to carry every board with each of the 25 cpus they would need to stock 6,250 different boards (with CPUs) to give the customer the same amount of options.

Thats just not realistic. If Intel does move to the ball packaging I have a feeling many manufactures will stop making mother boards, and many e-tailers will offer much fewer options.

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Good for the mobility market, bad for the desktop market. Maybe they think that, by 2014, desktops will be phased out and we'll be using nothing but laptops? Sorry, that's just not going to happen.

The worst part here is that mobo manufacturers would have to make a decision to what chip they would sold into the motherboard. This means they would have to have more "Inactive investments" in their stock, having to upgrade prices of their products. This would also mean less products being produced.

In general its such a bad idea, that i think even Steve Balmer would not belive it.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Could you imagine having a motherboard junk out on you and having to scrap that i7 along with it?

Why is it that history has always shown that when a company gets TOO far ahead of the competition that they start pulling out and executing asinine ideas? I could see this though, doesn't anyone remember the article awhile ago that Intel wanted to "streamline" the motherboard business by making the CPU/APU more and more the central focus? Add to it that you would then purchase a processing motherboard as a unit and they just brought an even larger piece of the market back to themselves. Hopefully it doesn't follow through, and if it does, hopefully AMD doesn't come out and say "us too!" and follow the rabbit down the rabbit hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.