News Intel's Iris Xe DG1 Graphics Cards Not Compatible with AMD, Older Systems

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
Special bios for some novel unnamed feature?
Or maybe just a driver lock to bioses that say they are the required hardware because arbitrary reasons agreed upon at some meeting.
I would have bought one of these to play with. At the very least for Intel's good display support, and the fanless version makes it even more attractive. But if Intel is driver locking it, I guess not.
Trying to break into a competitive market by locking out most potential customers apparently to help sales of products not helped by exclusivity to a low end gpu sounds like a strategic blunder.
Edit: maybe they only plan to make a few and are limiting distribution to only promotional purposes.

Special bios for some novel unnamed feature?
Or maybe just a driver lock to bioses that say they are the required hardware because arbitrary reasons agreed upon at some meeting.
I would have bought one of these to play with. At the very least for Intel's good display support, and the fanless version makes it even more attractive. But if Intel is driver locking it, I guess not.
Trying to break into a competitive market by locking out most potential customers apparently to help sales of products not helped by exclusivity to a low end gpu sounds like a strategic blunder.
Edit: maybe they only plan to make a few and are limiting distribution to only promotional purposes.
It could be that this is just an OEM part and not part of the final line up for customers, who knows, we will have to wait and see.

Also we have seen it a lot of times where OEM-only parts get released after some time as weird customer parts.
For example now you can get a mobo with the xbox soc.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf_YK2kSN_g

Reactions: rluker5

BillyBuerger

Reputable
Jan 12, 2021
I wonder if maybe the point of this is that OEMs could sell systems using a CPU with no onboard GPU and then include this external GPU in the base models. They could then also sell more expensive models with a "real" GPU or users could buy the base model and then swap out with their own GPU later. Then if the user gets a new PC in the future and want to use their nice GPU, they can swap this one back in. In that use case, there's no reason for the GPU outside of this specific system.

Still seems a bit odd as even in those cases, you have this GPU sitting around unusable where if it didn't require the specific hardware, could be used on a different system. But as others said, maybe they didn't want to have to support that at this point either.

TRENDING THREADS