Intel's Ivy Bridge CPU Die Layout Estimated

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battlecarrysabot

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
[citation][nom]vittau[/nom]More cache doesn't necessarily mean better performance, in fact, it can even cause WORSE performance. You realize the processor has to search the cache when it needs information, right? There are many different algorithms for that, but to sum it up, the larger the cache the longer it takes.[/citation]

maybe we should brush up on our computer literacy today. lesson 101 cache is faster than ram!!!

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Current SB offerings are more than adequate for my needs even with the built-in GPU. IB should do better still. More concerned with low TDP, power and heat, something that will not make a notebook feel hot or too warm after hours of online use and watching videos.

[citation][nom]Hardcore_Dude_GPS[/nom]So much misinformation on this site as always. The GPU is hardly 'crappy'. What an insane amount of stupid went into that statement. In fact, the GPU is quite capable. Performs well in DX11 and is 3x faster than Sandy Bridge in 3dMax. [/citation]

Agreed. I think some of us are just thinking that the GPU die space is wasted in many applications.

If Intel offered a chip like the 2500K specifically for gamers with 1) no GPU core 2) lower price ($150), they would absolutely destroy the gaming market and pretty much kill off AMD. I doubt many gamers use Quick Sync applications.

[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]Current SB offerings are more than adequate for my needs even with the built-in GPU. IB should do better still. More concerned with low TDP, power and heat, something that will not make a notebook feel hot or too warm after hours of online use and watching videos.[/citation]
Like SB, this will be the biggest market that Ivy Bridge will impact.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
[citation][nom]edvinasm[/nom]Strongly disagree. According to benchmarks in pure CPU performance Ivy Bridge should lead around 15-20% over 2600k. Obviously there might be much stronger CPUs but I think considering price point (and the price of Ivy isn't going to conquer Sandybridge since so many issues with architecture and delays) Sandybridge is a clear winner to me personally anyway. Until 2nd gen Ivy Bridge or something way faster comes out I am sticking to LGA1155 and 2600k.[/citation]

They already announced prices on Ivy Bridge chips and they are $5 - 10 more than the comprable Sandy part. It is extremely foolish to not wait and get 20% more performance for 20% less power in 2 months for practically the same price.

yumri

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
one of the things which i didn't see in the Ivy Bridge diagram was that encryption support for AES encryption thing which is on Sandy bridge. Can someone tell me if it is or not because it really speeds up my SFTP transfers by alot and the i5 equivalent of Ivy Bridge seems to be a good upgrade from a i3 Sandy Bridge even though it will mean waiting a little while to do.
With that is it also on a LGA1155 or will they be moving it to a different socket this time like always to get a little better performance out of it from not having to have the electricity go as far on the die to get back to the system board or some such like that which is the only reason which i can see why to switch sockets so much so often.

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
[citation][nom]edvinasm[/nom]Nothing fancy in Ivy Bridge design IMO. I was hoping for huge increase in rendering and encoding performance but if the rumours are true mere 20% is not worth it. Better get myself 2600k and overclock it to bits RIP Ivy. Will have to wait for next architecture to show me some 2x increase.[/citation]

20% increase assumes we all have a second-gen i7 to begin with.

Which I don't. And I know LOADS of people that also don't have second-gen i3/5/7.

So when I upgrade, I expect it to be LOVELY...

Now Intel, get your @ss moving!

G

Only problem with the techpowerup article is that they have only 1 quote: “I think maybe it’s June now”. This is all they actually quoted in the article. Sorry, I generally have problems with articles that tell stories but only provide a single quote. If he said all that they said he did, then why not quote him??? I always raise an eyebrow when an entire story is told yet only a simple quote is ever actually written that doesn't tell the story.

Only problem with the techpowerup article is that they have only 1 quote: “I think maybe it’s June now”. This is all they actually quoted in the article. Sorry, I generally have problems with articles that tell stories but only provide a single quote. If he said all that they said he did, then why not quote him??? I always raise an eyebrow when an entire story is told yet only a simple quote is ever actually written that doesn't tell the story.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Intel-Ivy-Bridge-Delay-Confirmed-cpu-processor,14816.html <----- Iv'e read other articles today about this on other sites. The delay affects laptops, notebooks, and prebuilts. Intel is trying to get rid of their current SB inventory.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
I don't see the point of an integrated GPU for an expensive K-edition CPU. What kind of an idiot buys an powerful overclockable CPU and a wimpy GPU?

At least give us K-editions without the GPU and save us $10-20.

mildgamer001

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
u people complaining about integrated GPU, some people can really use this. Say u have a slightly lower budget but want a high end system, but you know you can get UPGRADES LATER when you have more cash but want (or need in some cases) a new systen now, you can get a high end cpu with integrated gpu that can somewhat handle itself for a temporary period of time. then later, after you have saves more money you buy a gpu, then you will still have used that integrated gpu so it does have a purpose, and you can use it as a backup if your discreet GPU ever dies and you dont have spare cash at the time to get a new one. or some people use programs that dont use much gpu but a lot of cpu, and the integrated is plenty for your uses, or for another example, also as some people have said, some programs use the integrated gpu to help out the cpu some. there are many reasons for the igp, maybe not for all users, but there is still a market for it.

G

[citation][nom]hardcore_gamer[/nom]QuickSync is a separate fixed function hardware for video encoding/decoding, it doesn't use the GPUs in the processor.[/citation]

" . . . the video pipeline using dedicated fixed-function logic . . . that fixed-function logic later came to be known as Quick Sync"
and the video pipeline is where?
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sandy-bridge-core-i7-2600k-core-i5-2500k,2833-4.html

btw, if you do not enable the igpu then you cannot use quick sync.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
I still dont understand why they never keep the TDP @ 95w ... at least for the K series. People who buy K CPUs are are normally want the absolute max performance. They dont care about power consumption because the GPU easily top that.

Status
Not open for further replies.