Intel's Ivy Bridge CPU Prices to be Similar to Sandy Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeh

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
I don't think it's going to be such a huge performance increase over last gen as SB was. Intel doesn't even have to, since AMD is pretty much out of the game for at least a year.

I'll guess the main upgrade is the lower power consumption and better IGP. Ofc I expect a ~15% increase in CPU performance, but that's about it, with a lower TDP they're not going to increase performance much.

hardcore_gamer

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
[citation][nom]target3[/nom]How is this different to Sandy bridge?[/citation]

I was also thinking that. Same architecture, same clock frequency ,whats new in it ? :S

dgingeri

Distinguished
not surprising. They have no competition, so they come up with a way to make them cheaper, then sell them to us for the same price at the same speeds, and make more profit.

I bet we won't see a real boost in performance for the next 3-4 years now, just like back in the early P4 days.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Look at those TDP's!Insanely low. Although.. Performance better be worth the price, because buying a new motherboard and CPU isn't cheap.[/citation]

New board not needed, P67 and Z68 support IB.

What I wonder is who the hell buys those "T" and "S" versions...

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Zeh[/nom]I don't think it's going to be such a huge performance increase over last gen as SB was. Intel doesn't even have to, since AMD is pretty much out of the game for at least a year.I'll guess the main upgrade is the lower power consumption and better IGP. Ofc I expect a ~15% increase in CPU performance, but that's about it, with a lower TDP they're not going to increase performance much.[/citation]
Intel may not have to, but their road map was set years ago and there was no way to know that AMD would fall behind so far in the mid-high end market. If you have an SB based system then I would agree that it may well not be worth the expence of upgrading your system but for anyone else I think it will be a good choice. Just as long as you don't have to lash out on new HDD's that is...

I for one will be building a new rig based around the i5 3750k, now I'll sit back and see what happens with the GPU market...

G

Different fabrication process. Therefore smaller transistors, therefore slightly increased speed in transistor on/off switching, therefore slightly increased performance on CPU bench tests.

spookie

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
[citation][nom]target3[/nom]How is this different to Sandy bridge?[/citation]

It has a different name...and don't forget the die shrink, so its basically the same thing, only a bit more effective

verbalizer

Distinguished
I couldn't wait for Ivy and now it seems I can.
maybe Haswell will be the one top make me upgrade from an i5-760 @ 3.52GHz and SLi GTX 460 HAWKS.
I passed over SB and now it seems Ivy too.

reports say that in gaming only circumstances moving up from Nehalem is not worth it right now.

It's looking good! shaving off 20W while having a 5-10% expected performance increase on the processor, and nearly doubling the onboard GPU is nothing to snuff at. That is absolutely amazing. Plus the added PCIe3, possible Thunderbolt(though this will likely depend on the chipset), possibly native support for faster ram, possible WiDi, and more. Part of me is kinda sad that I could not wait for it to come before upgrading, but I'm still happy with my 2600.

For whoever asked what the T and S modles are for: these are for special nitche markets, like workstation laptops, or specific use applications like kiosk setups and other things where they have a constrained power budget, but still need features like added cores, a larger cache, or hyper-threading. Most people would not want/need one.

They should have had a different name scheme with SB-E to make things less confusing. SB-E should have stuck in the 2xxx range for processor numbers, and left the 3xxx for IB chips. Sure the SB-E will be faster, but the IB and later IB-E chips are rather a different monster.

Cant wait for official reviews!

Stza

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
My understanding is that the die shrink/lower TDP will potentially allow for greater overclocking headroom on the 'K' versions... with Sandy Bridge overclocking so well, it'll be interesting to see how much horsepower the enthusiast crowd can crank out of Ivy

rikperry

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
What I wonder is who the hell buys those "T" and "S" versions...
Low-power 'T' ?

Individuals, Companies buying < 10? Probably not.

Companies buying 100s, 1000s, 10,000s of units?
Very likely. 1000s of units X $/kwh = big 'T' savings!!!

Laptops, no. (You're probably plugging into someone elses power source)

Kiosks, maybe. (Depends on how you market/contract the sales. Mall managers may be very in-tune with kiosk power usages, but I understand getting good data on unit power usage is difficult if not impossible.)

100s or 1000s of In-house data clerks, you betcha!
(Think of Thousands of call-center reps; all those units burning juice)

Homeboy2

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
[citation][nom]spookie[/nom]It has a different name...and don't forget the die shrink, so its basically the same thing, only a bit more effective[/citation]
Also has trigate transistors

Homeboy2

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]not surprising. They have no competition, so they come up with a way to make them cheaper, then sell them to us for the same price at the same speeds, and make more profit. I bet we won't see a real boost in performance for the next 3-4 years now, just like back in the early P4 days.[/citation]
Wrong, haswell will be out next year, is there something wrong with making more profit? This is their schedule they have had for years, tick-tock.

It is very similar but Intel is making some changes. Other than the die shrink using Tri-gate transistors the major points are
DDR3-1600 support(up from Sandy Bridge DDR3-1333), PCI Express 3.0 support, and Intel HD Graphics with DirectX 11, OpenGL 3.1, and OpenCL 1.1 support. They also beefed up the GPU which "should" be great for transcoding and for those that don't play games

The PCIE 3.0 update it just future proofing more than anything but it might be pretty cool when PCIE based SSD drives make use of the full speed. The Directx 11 update just brings up the minimum level (finally) for all new PC's.

Status
Not open for further replies.