Intel's Medfield Phone Beats Galaxy Nexus in Benchmarks

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

When discussing Intel processors it is necessary to tell the reader if the processor has hyperthreading!!!
The medfield processor does have hyperthreading and this should always be part of any true discription
of the intel processors!!!

[citation][nom]bystander[/nom]I don't read all the articles here, and I don't go to every major site. Do you feel that anyone who reads one site is expected to have read every article on every other site?[/citation]

Erm, isn't that what Google and Bing are for?? :D

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]BT[/nom]Why are they not using the 22nm process? Seems like that could save them on the power consumption and shrink the cpu? Is too expensive, and there fore cannot make money?[/citation]

It takes a lot of time to make your design compatible with a new process. You can't just copy and paste your old design over to a new process - it has to be tweaked for the performance characteristics of the transistors being produced.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]kronos_cornelius[/nom]You have to compare them using performance/watt, otherwise the information is meaningless when talking about phones.[/citation]

If the battery can handle it - It don't matter if it eats 15% more power and are 10% faster than any competing phone, performance is a metric as well you know. Its up to the company that are designing the phone if they want that extra performance at the cost of a tad larger battery or the other way around, sluggish phone but can spare the money on the battery. The consumers will ultimately choose what the companies designs...

G

The fact that we only see such a select few Medfield benchmarks indicates that those are the only areas it does well in.

If Medfield was so great, don't you think that the major international handset makers would all be lining up to be the first to release one? Instead, we're only allowed to see synthetic web browser performance, and we should assume from there that everything else about it is great, right?

One must assumed that the very few handset makers that are releasing a Medfield phone were offered "incentives" to do so, 'cause the product obviously ain't selling itself.

G

Shmedfield please go to the first page of these comments and follow the link to the anandtech review of this medfield phone. do not expect one article to accurately describe everything read more articles to get the a more complete understanding!!!

[citation][nom]BT[/nom]Why are they not using the 22nm process? Seems like that could save them on the power consumption and shrink the cpu? Is too expensive, and there fore cannot make money?[/citation]

22nm is probably limited in capacity because it is new and Intel probably doesn't have enough 22nm fabs to go around for multiple types of chips. We already have delays and such on Ivy Bridge so Intel decided to use fabs that they have a surplus of and were still good enough for their first Medfields anyway.

[citation][nom]Shmedfield[/nom]The fact that we only see such a select few Medfield benchmarks indicates that those are the only areas it does well in.If Medfield was so great, don't you think that the major international handset makers would all be lining up to be the first to release one? Instead, we're only allowed to see synthetic web browser performance, and we should assume from there that everything else about it is great, right?One must assumed that the very few handset makers that are releasing a Medfield phone were offered "incentives" to do so, 'cause the product obviously ain't selling itself.[/citation]

This is a CPU that is fairly incompatible with most of the software and such in the current market it is trying to get into so of course it isn't huge yet. Would you expect companies to line up for building machines with a 16 core ARM Cortex A15 desktop CPU if no software is around that can use it properly, despite it being pretty fast?

Honestly, just think about it and it should be obvious. The current Medfield cores seem to be almost as good as the projected performance of Cortex A15 cores so unless Intel starts ramping up the core counts and/or the 22nm node shows a huge improvement, ARM is still going to have faster CPUs for a while. At least Google is having a lot of the Android apps being eritten in code that isn't tied to ARM CPUs and shouldn't have a problem moving over to these Atoms without needing to be ported, but some Android apps use ARM specific code and obvioously won't work on Medfield and it's successors unless Intel does some hardware emulation (to save performance) and that seems unlikely because they would probably need to pay ARM for that.

Maybe Google can design a low overhead emulation for such apps, solving the problem for everyone themselves.

znakist

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
well...this is weird. My Galaxy s2 score 103035 with android 4.0.3 with default browser. how can iphone 4s score only 87,801?

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Now all they need is to re-brand these CPUs. I know I sound silly, but wouldn't be proud of having an Atom CPU in my phone. They're associated with cheap quality, slow-ass CPUs for me... call it "Core i1" or something respectable.[/citation]

I totally agree, as opposed to associating the name atom with anything powerful and positive, i see "Atom CPU" and picture bare minimum budget slow processors for netbooks. A rename to i1 would be extremely clever as people would be more excited to buy it as it sounds superior, Wow i'm buying a desktop chip in my cellphone!

[citation][nom]jgutz2006[/nom]I totally agree, as opposed to associating the name atom with anything powerful and positive, i see "Atom CPU" and picture bare minimum budget slow processors for netbooks. A rename to i1 would be extremely clever as people would be more excited to buy it as it sounds superior, Wow i'm buying a desktop chip in my cellphone![/citation]

I agree that a renaming to i1 or something similar sounds like a great idea, but I would not be thinking "Wow i'm buying a desktop chip in my cellphone!" because I know it's not a desktop chip and the laptop Nehalem/Sandy/Ivy chips also have the Celeron/Pentium/i3/i5/i7 naming scheme.

[citation][nom]g-unit1111[/nom]When are we going to see some actual phones on actual carriers and not just Apple-style PR noise?[/citation]

Would you rather hear nothing? Besides, the article clearly states that the Chinese market will see a Medfield phone this quarter and that the European market will see it this summer. The USA and the rest of the world are in the dark as of now (at least, for this article), but that clearly states that there will be phones soon enough and on actual carriers.

Status
Not open for further replies.