Intel's Otellini Jabs ARM Over Legacy Support in Windows RT

Status
Not open for further replies.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Intel: "If you can't beat em with performance, beat em with marketing"

ARM chips are hugely superior to intel's on the mobile level. Sadly intel will probably release an "i7 powered tablet" and the masses will flock to it.

G

Intel is correct. Windows RT is crippleware. I don't know why anyone would buy it. Why not just buy an android tablet? Windows RT in a notebook is just plain stupid as it will do nothing for any consumer. x86 tablets have a future as they can do both legacy and RT mode.

SneakySnake, don't know where you are coming up with that. Thus far, only thing I've seen that beats Medfield is Krait and that is because Medfield is single core right now. I believe they will have dual core available for tablets. Problem with the Krait designs are that the Intel Medfield actually has better battery life. Actual performance/watt somehow FAVORS Intel now. Go to Anandtech and see for yourself. AMD will likely have something in the field soon too which also beats ARM.

ARM is not a PC architecture. Excellent for phones for on a PC or PC tablet, it just isn't going to stack up.

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]Intel: "If you can't beat em with performance, beat em with marketing"ARM chips are hugely superior to intel's on the mobile level. Sadly intel will probably release an "i7 powered tablet" and the masses will flock to it.[/citation]

Hugely superior? I'm puzzled, please provide some links with data to back up your claim. Thanks

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]TheMandible[/nom]Intel is correct. Windows RT is crippleware. I don't know why anyone would buy it. Why not just buy an android tablet?[/citation]

Perhaps because android is ugly buggy crap.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]TheMandible[/nom]Intel is correct. Windows RT is crippleware. I don't know why anyone would buy it. Why not just buy an android tablet? Windows RT in a notebook is just plain stupid as it will do nothing for any consumer.[/citation]How many consumers need legacy software? How many would need it on a tablet? Some will, and for those users there are x86 tablets. But as you said, many don't need legacy x86 software - look at Android. As Windows gets more Metro apps that are built for BOTH platforms, the need for legacy software compatibility will diminish even more for your average consumer. WinRT isn't meant to take over the PC market. It's meant primarily for entry-level tablets and low-cost systems.

So from that perspective, it really isn't any worse off than other ARM-based systems. In fact, in the long term the ability to run the same software (Metro apps) on multiple platforms (desktop, laptop, tablet, phone) will be an advantage.

G

Why do they buy the tablet in the first place alex? Right now a tablet is an overpriced paper replacement device that includes a camera and the web. Now that the novelty is over, what will compell people to buy it? The ability to at least do something else might be what sways them which is why the x86 tablet is a bit more appealing. WinRT is just crippleware. It offers nothing compelling over what is already out there. Win8 legacy at least gives you options. You can have best of both worlds and go from there. It makes spending several hundred on a friggin' tablet half bearable. I might actually buy one for the family now.

G

This is going to be where Android + ARM dominates both of them. Android, by virtue of the LInux kernel, has the capability of supporting 95% of devices old and new, right out of the box without having to install anything.

Microsoft broke their monopoly pact with Intel in an attempt to fend off Android, but it's too little, too late.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
Intel's Otellini Jabs ARM Over Legacy Support in Windows RT? So? Maybe... but... there will be new kind of applications for it... and... when intel makes such a statement... it seems, that intel haz jet nothing to offer to counter ARM in mobile space...

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]Intel: "If you can't beat em with performance, beat em with marketing"ARM chips are hugely superior to intel's on the mobile level.[/citation]
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]when intel makes such a statement... it seems, that intel haz jet nothing to offer to counter ARM in mobile space...[/citation]
Odd, there's substantial evidence to the contrary.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]stop the crap talk, get me a x86 laptop that is as cheap as the ARM ones, as long battery life.[/citation]
Seriously? Which ARM laptops are these? How much do they cost? What's their battery life? Where can i buy them? Can they run Crysis at 10 fps?

Talk about crap talk.

math1337

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
I think it's already determined that Windows 8 x86 is beast, while windows RT is suck. On my windows 8 CP tablet, the first thing I did was uninstall all of that "metro" crap. Installing real desktop applications is just like normal.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]Seriously? Which ARM laptops are these? How much do they cost? What's their battery life? Where can i buy them? Can they run Crysis at 10 fps?Talk about crap talk.[/citation]My bad I meant tablet lol.

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]This is all fun and games until somone comes out with a x86 => ARM emulation layer. Intel has a ARM => x86 emulation. Can't be that hard to go the other way.[/citation]

It's already out on android, and works reasonably ok.

ashesofempires04

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
This all just sounds like marketing and PR scare tactics. I doubt many consumers with a WinRT tablet will have much need for legacy programs. If the tablet world has gotten along this far without legacy windows programs, then I think they'll be just fine with a WinRT tablet.

Can you run linux apps on Android, or OS X apps on iOS? The answer is no. Separate programs are written for the mobile/tablet OS. Why does everyone suddenly assume that because it's Windows that not being able to run legacy apps on it will kill it?

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]This is all fun and games until somone comes out with a x86 => ARM emulation layer. Intel has a ARM => x86 emulation. Can't be that hard to go the other way.[/citation]
actually it is, x86 is very complex and x64 requires a license from AMD (x86 is more than 20 years old so inHell cannot sue you for using it)

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]madooo12[/nom]actually it is, x86 is very complex and x64 requires a license from AMD (x86 is more than 20 years old so inHell cannot sue you for using it)[/citation]
Even though several aspects of x86 are indeed open, there are several extensions that are needed in order to emulate most recent CPUs that still needs licensing.

@Vladislaus: the extensions are protected, as is the x86 instruction set (and the x64, too), however they are only protected against hardware implementations (they're copyrighted). As such, writing an emulator doesn't require licensing, as Bosch and Qemu are proof: they are open-source x86 andx86-64 emulators. Qemu is also able to emulate ARM.
@ashesofempire4: sorry to disappoint you, but when you say: "can you run Linux apps on Android?" The answer isn't, as you think, no - it actually is yes. As a matter of fact, this is the main reason for rooting an Android device. And currently, the biggest example is a prototype phone, demonstrated by Canonical, that boots the Android ICS kernel (which is Linux + croutons) and is able to run, side by side, the Android interface (with phone calls, etc.) and the Ubuntu desktop (with LibreOffice, desktop Firefox...)

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]Intel's Otellini Jabs ARM Over Legacy Support in Windows RT? So? Maybe... but... there will be new kind of applications for it... and... when intel makes such a statement... it seems, that intel haz jet nothing to offer to counter ARM in mobile space...[/citation]
... ok... let me put it diferent way... how big is intel's instalbase in android and iOS world...?

Status
Not open for further replies.