News Intel's Raja Koduri Teases Xe HPG GPU Development Board

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I'm not a big fan of how Intel conducts business or how they support their graphics products. However, I'm excited for Intel's entrance into the GPU market. Consumer Xe products can't come soon enough. We need more supply and more competition. Competing with the 3060 Ti is good enough. Somewhere between the 3060 and 3070 is ideal. I hope Xe is just as disruptive to the GPU market as AMD's Ryzen was to the CPU market.

Last year I would have laughed at the idea of replacing my 1070 with a Xe GPU. After months of trying, and failing, to acquire a new Nvidia or AMD GPU, I'd be thrilled to have a Xe.

Reactions: panathas

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Unless mining becomes unprofitable on GPU's, nothing is going to change no matter how many entrants there are. Demand will continue to greatly exceed supply. If nothing changes on the mining front, then the only way Intel's Xe graphics will have any real availability is if it stinks at mining, which won't bode well for its gaming performance.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Unless mining becomes unprofitable on GPU's, nothing is going to change no matter how many entrants there are. Demand will continue to greatly exceed supply. If nothing changes on the mining front, then the only way Intel's Xe graphics will have any real availability is if it stinks at mining, which won't bode well for its gaming performance.

Not true. Remember, Intel isn't beholden to anyone else for fab capacity and has a worldwide network of advanced fab facilities. Also, our D1 facility is the biggest cleanroom in the world by a good amount and can crank out silicon like you wouldn't believe. Now that Pat is back and has taken some steps to right the ship, everyone else is on notice.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Not true. Remember, Intel isn't beholden to anyone else for fab capacity and has a worldwide network of advanced fab facilities. Also, our D1 facility is the biggest cleanroom in the world by a good amount and can crank out silicon like you wouldn't believe. Now that Pat is back and has taken some steps to right the ship, everyone else is on notice.
You work for Intel, and you didn't get the memo? TSMC is going to be producing Intel's GPU's.

Also, don't forget to put a cover sheet on your TPS reports.

You work for Intel, and you didn't get the memo? TSMC is going to be producing Intel's GPU's.
Using TSMC doesn't force intel to use their node for everything.
They could use their node only for the workstation GPUs where the lowest power draw makes the most sense and use their own nodes for the mass of their production.
They are just about to release a backported CPU, it would make sense for their GPU to be designed to be node agnostic.
Also we already saw something like that with nvidia GPUs if I'm not mistaken were they have GPUs made from TSMC and samsung.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished

Also, don't forget to put a cover sheet on your TPS reports.

Oh you sweet, summer child.

JayNor

Reputable
May 31, 2019
Intel built Xe-HP on their own 10ESF process. It is already sampling. Their gaming chip, Xe-HPG, is being built externally.

Intel claims to have Xe-HPC in the lab. The process for the 41 chiplets are labeled in one of Raja's twitter threads. According to the labels, the compute chiplets being used are Intel's 7nm process.