Intel's Rumored Coming CPU Price Drops, New Chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

shabodah

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006
Can someone tell Intel that they don't have to use weird frequencies any more since the cpu speed isn't tied to a quad-pump fsb? Please?

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Hmmm, Intel announces price drop on April 19th, right after AMD announced their 3.2 GHz Phenom II X4 955 to drop on April 20th. Competition is a very good thing.

Daller

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
What's up with Pentium Dual-Core E6300? Not long ago I owned a Core 2 Duo E6300? Intel running out of fancy numbers?

G

Seems like a bit of desperation, especially since they're trying to revoke AMDs x86 license right now. Intellectual property laws need an overhaul, things like code and electrical engineering weren't even conceived of when these laws were first written, we'd be so much better off if Intel wasn't holding the computer world for ransom with their stupid x86 patents. I for one, won't buy another Intel product, ever.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Intel has no chance against Phenom II. At least for the price of the platform, just bury your oldie 775 and bring the i5.

It's just stupid to pay so much for the "premium" of energy efficiency.

Q9300 2.5Ghz $213
Q8200 2.33Ghz $213
PII 940 3ghz $210~

E7300 $113
PII 710 $124

No chance in hell.

Nintendork

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
nocommajustno
You're right, x86 need to be opened. If intel fear AMD's comeback, they scream in pain with future ARM(no pun intended) offers in netbooks.

That and their monopolistic ways imposing their cpu's to vendors, and also you can see that in the educational world. Seeing an AMD cpu in that places is like trying to see a Dodo dancing lambada with Tazmanian Tigers.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I was about to say the same think Nintendork. When you compare performance and price, they needed to reduce the Q9550 to $230, yet its $100 over that.

G

If Intel will cut AMD the entrance to x86, they might get it from Via.
And if they don't they will need to come up with another architecture, which might be similar to better.
Then AMD will become totally independent on intel,and Intel might shoot itself in the leg; especially if there will be companies providing support for this newer technology.

Besides, AMD theoretically is still allowed to run x86 in simulation,without paying Intel a single penny.

If AMD starts working together with via or samsung on a CPU architecture, they could deny Intel connection to the architecture as well!

So as long as AMD will be strong enough to survive, it can do more damage then you'd expect to Intel.
Plus, it might get rid of Microsoft as well, by using a Linux based operating system, something MS would probably never do.

But a market like this is no longer a healthy competitive market, but more like a market to promote monopoly, something absolutely forbidden in Europe. So the European market will take notice, and probably bring it to court.

megabuster

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
[citation][nom]Nintendork[/nom]Intel has no chance against Phenom II. At least for the price of the platform, just bury your oldie 775 and bring the i5.It's just stupid to pay so much for the "premium" of energy efficiency.Q9300 2.5Ghz $213Q8200 2.33Ghz $213PII 940 3ghz $210~E7300 $113PII 710 $124No chance in hell.[/citation]

Why bury my 775 when Q9400 for $214@ewiz.com overclocks to 4.0Ghz on air and whoops your Phenom II butt? I bet you can't do that with AMD without liquid cooling and 1.6+V. And clock for clock Q9XXX beats any Phenom II.

Silluete

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
[citation][nom]megabuster[/nom]Why bury my 775 when Q9400 for $214@ewiz.com overclocks to 4.0Ghz on air and whoops your Phenom II butt? I bet you can't do that with AMD without liquid cooling and 1.6+V. And clock for clock Q9XXX beats any Phenom II.[/citation]
Dude not everyone overclock they pc. That's the one separate enthusiast from mainstream.

zedx

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
So does that mean the i7 940 at ~300$? I'd buy an i5 940 if it's available at that price point. I wish someone could do some benchies with GCC 4.3 and Core 2's P II's and core i7 's with SSE 4 and SSE 3, that would be nice for a linux user like me who compiles things. Since P II support's very little of SSE 4 and has it's own separate commands, it'd be nice to see how it turns out. Maybe then I can recommend Intel to someone for it's SSE 4 and power efficiency?

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
although a lot of you are praising the phenom, don't forget the art of conformity...

and don't forget the fact a bajillion people have lga775 sockets.. ;]

maybe my next computer will be amd, if this price pwnge continues

Topcover

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
all intel needs to do is release a cheap i7 motherboard and things will even out whether or not they will do that remains to b seen

G

@megabuster: I'm sure that there are people out there dumb enough to believe that every Intel chip OCs to 4ghz, but those of us who aren't stupid know that < 5% can actually break 4ghz, if anything PhII 940 is probably has the best chance of any chip out there. 3.6 or maybe 3.8 is doable for Intel, and all but a given with PhII with a decent cooler. If it was so damn easy to break the mythical 4ghz barrier, Dell wouldn't have had so many problems with their stock 4ghz OC desktop, note that they were having a very hard time getting enough q6600s that could actually do it.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I read someone make a comment like that.

megabuster

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
@megabuster: I'm sure that there are people out there dumb enough to believe that every Intel chip OCs to 4ghz, but those of us who aren't stupid know that < 5% can actually break 4ghz, if anything PhII 940 is probably has the best chance of any chip out there. 3.6 or maybe 3.8 is doable for Intel, and all but a given with PhII with a decent cooler. If it was so damn easy to break the mythical 4ghz barrier, Dell wouldn't have had so many problems with their stock 4ghz OC desktop, note that they were having a very hard time getting enough q6600s that could actually do it.

You obviously haven't personally had any experience with overclocking Intel Q6XXX or Q9XXX series. I currently have a Q6600 G0 with fairly cheap Zalman 9700 $45 on a budget Gigabyte P35DS3L running at 3.8Ghz. If you need proof I do have a video on youtube. As far as Q9XXX chips are much easier to OC to 4Ghz. As far as Dell having problems with their OC that's an entirely different issue.

megabuster

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]@megabuster: I'm sure that there are people out there dumb enough to believe that every Intel chip OCs to 4ghz, but those of us who aren't stupid know that < 5% can actually break 4ghz, if anything PhII 940 is probably has the best chance of any chip out there. 3.6 or maybe 3.8 is doable for Intel, and all but a given with PhII with a decent cooler. If it was so damn easy to break the mythical 4ghz barrier, Dell wouldn't have had so many problems with their stock 4ghz OC desktop, note that they were having a very hard time getting enough q6600s that could actually do it.I don't know whether to laugh or cry when I read someone make a comment like that.[/citation]

You obviously haven't personally had any experience with overclocking Intel Q6XXX or Q9XXX series. I currently have a Q6600 G0 with fairly cheap Zalman 9700 $45 on a budget Gigabyte P35DS3L running at 3.8Ghz. If you need proof I do have a video on youtube. As far as Q9XXX chips are much easier to OC to 4Ghz. As far as Dell having problems with their OC that's an entirely different issue.

megabuster

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2008
On another note, I've been trying to find the benchmarks of an OC Phenom II 940 since the chip became available on the market. I finally found a screenshot of a Phenom II 940@3.85Ghz VID 1.55V that had a CPU score of 5k in 3dmark06 in Windows XP. It wouldn't clock any higher without LN2 or He cooling. When I ran the same benchmark on Vista x64 on Q6600@3.8Ghz I got CPU score of 5k also. SO for a 2 year old 65nm Intel CPU to do that to a new AMD CPU is just embarrasing.
I used to be AMD owner since the Thunderbird to FX60 series but I've converted to Intel. I would gladly switch to AMD if performance/price ratio was in their favor. Including overclocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS