News Intel's stock drops 30% overnight —company sheds $39 billion in market cap

SonoraTechnical

Reputable
May 28, 2020
I really didn't think I'd see the day where Intel would falter this badly. They owned desktop, server, and mobil CPUs forever... Just stayed on CoreDuo with larger processes for too long without any major innovation or quality breakthroughs.

I'd like to see them recover. They keep AMD and Apple honest. Of course now the existential threats are coming from other players too.

Well, anyway.. This round I'll be building a Zen5/RDNA4 rig... so skipping Intel and nVidia.

Reactions: DS426

vanadiel007

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2015
As I mentioned in another thread: The issue with the crashing CPU's will cost them a lot of stock value, so they should look at a recall rather than anything else, as a recall might be cheaper.

This CPU crashing might not affect them much this time around, but next quarters they will for sure.

vanadiel007

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2015
It's almost like they didn't innovate or increase core counts for a decade because they had no competition. Sitting on your laurels only gets you one thing in the business world...disaster.

They had competition, but their marketing department was very good at explaining you needed an Intel CPU for gaming to a point where a lot of people went Intel simply because of the marketing hype.

Jul 26, 2024
It's almost like they didn't innovate or increase core counts for a decade because they had no competition. Sitting on your laurels only gets you one thing in the business world...disaster.
Didn't they also strip hyperthreading from i7s at one point? One page I found pointed to them doing it to the i7-9700K.

When greed and setting on your laurels catches up to you.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Didn't they also strip hyperthreading from i7s at one point? One page I found pointed to them doing it to the i7-9700K.

When greed and setting on your laurels catches up to you.
More of a production distinction at the time. 9700K vs 9900K. 8700K had hyperthreading, but only six cores.

In some regards the non hyperthreading chips of that time were the best. Avoided most of the side channel attacks.

DS426

Proper
May 15, 2024
I really didn't think I'd see the day where Intel would falter this badly. They owned desktop, server, and mobil CPUs forever... Just stayed on CoreDuo with larger processes for too long without any major innovation or quality breakthroughs.

I'd like to see them recover. They keep AMD and Apple honest. Of course now the existential threats are coming from other players too.

Well, anyway.. This round I'll be building a Zen5/RDNA4 rig... so skipping Intel and nVidia.
Agreed and agreed. They used to be the seemingly unstoppable behemoth to beat, especially with most of the corporate world being married to Intel with AMD never getting nearly as much traction as they have now.

Yep, looks like Zen 5 pricing is very aggressive. Hopefully the same will be true of RDNA4, or even if launch MSRP's are about the same but with good gen-on-gen performance uplift, the increased value will be appreciated.

ekio

Reputable
Mar 24, 2021
Anyway, x86 needs to go away, this tech is obsolete/bloated/ugly/inefficient AF. Time to stop doubling down.

We need a world where CPUs are all RISC type, ARM/RISC-V ISA with many competitive vendor implementations sounds about right to me.

and less than half of AMD's.

oh how the times change...
there was point that would of been something nobody believe.

while this is true...that isnt even related to current intel issues. Doesnt matter if they kept pushing everything if they had these issues same thing woiuld of happened.

called Intel never re-did their mentality the way AMD did (even if AMD had to do so out of desperation w/ ZEN).

Intel's mentality is always more power more speed makes numbers go bigger to point it became a meme.

A bug finally caused it to become an issue & the widespreadness of it is going to be a bad medicine.

Even when Intel adds more cores now they still lose vs AMD in server (i forget which one it was but i recall intel released a XEON that had more cores than a epyc, cost more than the epyc thats been out for yr or 2, yet performed worse)

Intel felt punishment for the core stagnation but that was long ago & they recovered after in a few yrs.

On the GPU side they are "fine". 1st gen had issues but they worked most of the mout & hopefully 2nd gen is able to compete vs nvidias low end (as 60 tier is a joke and we need alternative in raytracing which amd sadly doesnt have)

Anyway, x86 needs to go away, this tech is obsolete/bloated/ugly/inefficient AF. Time to stop doubling down.
and it'll stay around due to that exact thing.
many important systems rely on it. Cost to change it for many doesnt make sense & to home end users it makes no sense until you see devs of alternatives fully support it.

x86's backward compat & "it just works" is why it has stayed for so long.
Yes, it is harmful long term, but its benefit is seen as "worth it".
Nothing to do with the 13th and 14th gen processors "melting"?
dying not melting & it would impact it but not this much. This wasnt intels 1st time having issues about cpu's. (the issue around the specter/meltdown yrs was much much worse than this and barely effected their value)

Intel straight up stated its cutting jobs & stuff due to bad sales, issues w/ its latest mobile chips (as in yield of actual chips) & a bad forcast for profit coming up.
thats the stuff investors see & go "oh they are admitting to issues so think its time to get out of here for a bit" & thats when you lose value.
Didn't they also strip hyperthreading from i7s at one point?

and plan remove it on upcoming chips...which isnt 100% a bad thing as it has benefits. (especially if they keep core counts high like do w/ their e-p core chips) Biggest one is less power req which for intel is a big thing.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Honestly, Intel needs to fall and sell off their foundary business and become "Lean & Mean".

That means pulling a AMD and seperating the two businesses.

As long as Intel is still attached to the foundary side, there will always be a MAJOR trust issue.

Intel's Foundaries can't take off till they get rid of their chip design side.

We need a world where CPUs are all RISC type, ARM/RISC-V ISA with many competitive vendor implementations sounds about right to me.
Even Jim Keller has stated that the core ISA really is a tiny fraction of what makes a CPU.

If you really are caught up on a decades old argument, you're very much out of touch with what really matters.

ARM or x86? ISA Doesn’t Matter

There's nothing wrong with x86 ISA, it's fine.​

What makes any platform strong is the library of software that you have access to, and what library is larger than x86?

Every major platform that succeeded in console land or PC has had a "Very Strong" library of software.

That's where x86 is strong, it's LONG history and VAST software library.

Last edited:

Along with x86 disappearing so would the enthusiast builder market. Qualcomm et al have no interest in selling you a standalone CPU, and they barely support the garbage they do release. 2 to 3 years of driver support is all we can expect from these shiny new ARM laptops, if their past behaviour is any indicator that is.

ekio

Reputable
Mar 24, 2021
Jim Keller only said x86 is fine........ yeah he wouldn't say "I worked with shit tech all my life".
What did he choose for the CPU part of his company Tenstorrent's products ?

A) Buying x86 CPUs from Intel and AMD, because x86 is so great, let's get the job done by the only two companies that blocked competition for decades

OR

B) He went with his own NON x86 solution, to get rid of this locked duopole and chose RISC-V that has the advantage of being free (as in both liberty and gratis) ?

Answer is B ( NOT x86), and why? Because when it comes to your own money and own ecosystem responsibility, x86 SUCKS.

It sucks because technologically, it's atrocious, and it sucks because it's licensed locked.
Having a strong existing ecosystem just help to suck a tiny bit less.
Does that existing ecosystem justifies that we are stuck forever till we all die with that closed crap ? No.

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
As I mentioned in another thread: The issue with the crashing CPU's will cost them a lot of stock value, so they should look at a recall rather than anything else, as a recall might be cheaper.

This CPU crashing might not affect them much this time around, but next quarters they will for sure.
There's a possibility they couldn't perform a recall. The probably don't have enough spare inventory, and if they divert production capacity away from next gen chips, then they'll be screwing their future even more. The RMA route will likely have a slower rollout and they can control the flow to a better extent.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Along with x86 disappearing so would the enthusiast builder market. Qualcomm et al have no interest in selling you a standalone CPU, and they barely support the garbage they do release. 2 to 3 years of driver support is all we can expect from these shiny new ARM laptops, if their past behaviour is any indicator that is.
That's a world where I don't want to see happen.

If Qualcomm wants to succeed, either embrace us "Enthusiasts" and our modular PC Eco -System, or I hope they die and get kicked out of the business. Go back to Smart Devices, your attitude towards us and limited support isn't welcome.

The Enthusiast PC builder market means ALOT to me.

Jim Keller only said x86 is fine........ yeah he wouldn't say "I worked with shit tech all my life".
What did he choose for the CPU part of his company Tenstorrent's products ?

A) Buying x86 CPUs from Intel and AMD, because x86 is so great, let's get the job done by the only two companies that blocked competition for decades

OR

B) He went with his own NON x86 solution, to get rid of this locked duopole and chose RISC-V that has the advantage of being free (as in both liberty and gratis) ?

Answer is B ( NOT x86), and why? Because when it comes to your own money and own ecosystem responsibility, x86 SUCKS.

It sucks because technologically, it's atrocious, and it sucks because it's licensed locked.
Having a strong existing ecosystem just help to suck a tiny bit less.
Does that existing ecosystem justifies that we are stuck forever till we all die with that closed crap ? No.
Open Source Licensing helps.
Free also helps. I understand why he choose RISC-V, he's a big supporter of Free / Open Source.
Also, less baggage compared to any ISA that's been around for decades.

Good luck finding customers who want to use RISC-V as their main system compared to x86.

One easily has more momentum, while the other is coming for ARM.

Last edited: