Intel's vPro Core CPUs Can Take SMS ''Poison Pill''

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

banthracis

Distinguished
So question, how does disabling the CPU prevent loss of data which is stored on a HD that can be removed and installed onto another PC?

edit: Ok, nvm read greyed out comments. Seriously, though, Tom's, you really shouldn't do that. Way too easy to skip over that light grey text >.<

G

@WhosHarryCrumb

the reason why vPro is not mainstream is cause it's expensive, both in design and implementation, it takes up valuable silicone required hardware support on the Motherboard and component side and then's there's the cost of setting up and implementing the infrastructure....... we talking about the NSA here, ive a feeling they dont need vPro, if they wanted then they can already do it without intel's help, and you know there is always AMD.........

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
I wonder what hackers will be able to do with it, scan where my pc is? Remotely disable millions of pc's through a software hack or worm?

No, give me the less automation the better!

G

A corrupt government could EASILY use this as a form of control, and considering ACTA and clone-laws, mandates could be emitted to let an organization (be it government's or 3rd party) send the sigkill.
This is only a first step, selling it as a feature, while it can be used to stop cyberactivism, operation assange-revange or the one used against the governments of Tunis and Cairo could be answered with a simple pingback with a kill switch.
It is like producing a weapon, for now it maybe yours, tomorrow, the tide change.

G

@Cianureto

now im all against government control but..... im not crazy lol, this tech has been around since core 2 duo days, if they wanted to use this tech to quash the protesters in Egypt they could off....... oh wait it only occurs in corporate PC and only those that use Intel business class chips........ and for the record it's the single biggest reason why IBM was kicked out of every government institution right after the china (lenovo) buy out, governments do not trust sensitive infrastructure to foreign technology

G

Is there any single reason to believe that your code is the only code that deactivates your computer? Is there any single reason to believe that your unlock code can be used if your computer was disabled by, e. g. governmental code? I did not read sources of this `feature', so I have no reasons to trust it. And how can I count on a computer that can be disabled by some random guys?

G

LAPTOP AND PC KILL SWITCH IS A THREAT TO SECURITY, PRIVACY,& DECENCY.

I read the intel info about it on their website if you knew what this thing can do you would not even consider using it ever.

HERE'S a PREVIEW OF WHAT THIS THING DOES !

1. THEY CAN REMOTELY ERASE A HARD DRIVE

2. TAKE PICTURES REMOTELY

3. TAKE VIDEO REMOTELY

4. RECORD AUDIO REMOTELY

WHEN I SAY REMOTELY I DON"T MEAN WITH YOUR PERMISSION I MEAN THAT THE HACKER DOWN THE STREET JUST WATCHED YOU AND YOUR WIFE MAKING LOVE WHILE WATCHING NETFLIX WITH YOUR PC ON REMOTELY.

So what you can take a picture or the guy who stole your laptop great, but wait... hmm does that mean someone can also take your picture remotely .. OHHHH YES IT DOES ??? !!!

Just wait until the malicious crackers, perverts or the government just starts abusing this.

The to 10 ways to abuse this technology

1. Everyone's PC can get erased at any time.

2. Stalkers start remotely taking pictures of girls they are cyber stalking.

3. Perverts start remotely taking inappropriate video of women and men. Then people start finding video of themselves getting dressed or worse online because they left their laptop open.

-I don't know about you but I leave my laptop open all the time. I sleep with my laptop next to my in bed. Me and my wife listen to music in bed and watch movies and more in bed-

YOU CAN PROBABLY THINK OF SOME THINGS YOU DO IN FRONT OF THE COMPUTER YOU MIGHT NOT WANT ONLINE, CHANGING, MAKING LOVE, AND FOR SOME GUYS... I AM SURE YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. NOT EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT OTHER PEOPLE BEING ABLE TO TAKE A PICTURE, VIDEO OR AUDIO FILE OF IS IT ?

3. The government starts using personal conversations people had at home with their wife or friends as evidence against them because their computer can record audio remotely.

4. Your computer magically locks down "accidentally" after you stop paying for the tech support server and you have to pay for tech support again just to unlock it.

5. Your Ex boyfriend or girlfriend sends you kill signals daily because you left them.

6. A guy from your work that wants your job remotely erases just your reports and important project files to make it look like you didn't bother to do them.

YOU CAN ACTUALLY ERASE SPECIFIC TARGET FILES OR THE ENTIRE DISK YOU GET TO CHOOSE WHAT GETS DELETED REMOTELY.

7. Your husband or wife does a trace on your computer to see where you are at any given time because you have a traceable lo jack type transmitter in your computer.

8. Your in the witness protection program and the criminals that want you trace your computer to find you.

9. People remotely listen to your private conversations and use them against you somehow. then post them to youtube put them on the radio or make a commercial with your voice without your permission.

10. Your business's competition regularly erases your hard drive to try to make you lose time and money.

Sure your tech support guy at work can turn your bios and hard drive back on but there will be nothing to turn on once it is erased.

Imagine that your building a video game and you just finished it. Your about to send the compiled game to a company for development and you have been guarding it as a top secret project the whole time, nobody has ever seen it. You are so paranoid about keeping this game safe you made sure that you were not even connected to a wireless network, you made sure you were not online at all. 2 and a half years into your development your finally done and your only copy is on your laptop hard drive. Then a malicious cracker finds your sms number, he remotely copies your game and then sends your laptop the kill and erase "poison pill". You get your work stolen and the original copy is destroyed so he can copyright your game and you can't prove it was yours in the first place.

You thought you were not connected to the internet but it can be triggered remotely means that when your not online you still online. The cpu itself has a device that lets you remotely kill it or access it anywhere even with no internet. It basicly has a combo lo-jack and on-star tracking device in your cpu.

I own a computer repair business. Right now business is slow but I bet you once those get popular I am gonna be swamped with business. Antitheft is a bit different than having the ability to spy on people remotely and be connected to the internet without being online.

If they had stopped at disabling the boot from cd and hard drive like they included in this poison pill technology it would be perfect and no damage to privacy, security or data safety. It would have been great and so another thing that could have been wonderful has been perverted to give people one more way of having a camera on you at all times and making sure that any privacy you have left is taken away.

GOOD JOB INTEL.YOU MAKE ME WISH LINUX MADE A COMPUTER TOO. SAD SAD SAD.

G

ITS REAL NICE TRYING TO MAKE PEOPLE SIGN UP FOR A USER NAME TO BE ANONYMOUS. YOUR REAL ASSHOLES. !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.