News Intel's Xeon Emerald Rapids CPUs Could Wield Up To 64 Cores

Once again Intel is behind the 8 ball for RAM density. Last time they went 6 channel when the competition was going 8. Now Intel is going 8 channel when the competition is going 12. That reduction in density will make a huge difference when it comes to cloud providers and places that need a lot of RAM.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I think as the article rightly pointed out, we have not even seen Sapphire Rapids, and Intel has gone ahead to share more details of their future product. If Emerald Rapids is on schedule for 2023, basically Intel's key message to their potential buyers is, avoid Sapphire Rapids. While it is important to share details to keep buyers interested, I think Intel failed to realized that it will negatively impact sales until Emerald Rapids gets launched. And as we have observed many times of late, Intel likes to pull last minute delays, and multiple delays, which I guess will send some of their potential buyers towards AMD/ ARM (via designing their own SOC).

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
'Unlike Sapphire Rapids, Intel is confident that Emerald Rapids will meet its 2023 deadline.'

Does this imply that Sapphire Rapids has been delayed again to 2024?
Delay it? They should just can it. Its too late. Looking at the timeline, it is indeed possible that Sapphire Rapids will end up with very very limited quantity just so that Intel can tick the box to say that they have delivered it. They won't admit that they failed to deliver the product, and so will squeeze something out at the very last moment. It likely going to be like their first gen 10nm Cannon Lake where we only see the smoke of the cannon fire, but don't see any cannon at all. :LOL: The product exists for a tiny window and it is gone and replaced quickly by Ice Lake.

TRENDING THREADS