Inter Rapid Start and Rapid Storage problems

Stelios_1

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Hi everyone,

This is the first time I am posting a question in this forum, although i am using it quite often in order to find answers.

My question to which I really need your help:
I have recently replaced the HDD with a SSD on my laptop (Dell XPS 9530 mid tier model: 32GB mSATA & 1TB HDD). The laptop in its original configuration used the Intel Rapid Start and Rapid Storage technologies.

I replaced the HDD with an SSD (SAMSUNG 500GB EVO) disabling both of the intel technologies, since I am not interested in using the RAID function any more. I am also not interested in using the mSATA drice anymore.

But I have noticed that after installing the SSD my laptop became slower than before!! How is that possible?
I have performed a clean install of Windows 10 64-bit on the SSD and the laptop is still slower that before.

What are the proper configurations on the BIOS after installing replacing the HDD with an SSD? Do I need to re-enable any of the Intel technologies?

Please Help!!!

Thank you in advance.

Stelios_1

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Hi POPATIM. Thank you for your reply. Sorry if I was not very clear in describing the problem I am facing.

I have replaced the 1TB HDD (not the mSATA) with the SAMSUNG 850 EVO 500GB (http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MZ-75E500B/AM)

I have also disabled RAID in the BIOS and set it to AHCI.

I do not believe it is possible for a 1TB HDD (at 5400rpm) to be faster than a SSD drive. But in my case this is a reality!!!
And I think that this problem is related to the Intel Rapid Start and Intel Rapid Storage technologies, which I have both disabled after the replacement of the 1TB HDD with the samsung SSD.
I have also performed a clean installation of Windows 10 64-bit on the SAMSUNG SSD 850 EVO.

What should be the exact configurations in the BIOS, especially regarding these two INTEL technologies? I have tried disabling and enabling these technologies in the BIOS but it made no difference in the speed of the SSD. It is still slower that the 1TB HDD. Please also note that the SAMSUNG SSD drive has no faults, since I have already installed on a desktop PC and it run fine.

Is there something else I should notice? Is there any other BIOS configuration that might fix the speed of the SSD?

Thank you in advance

Stelios_1

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Thank you once again for your response. I have used a number of programs for checking the SSD, including the 4K alignment. The SSD is fine. There are no issues whatsoever. I have even used benchmarks to check speeds, etc and the results came out fine.

I need someone to tell me what the exact configuration in the BIOS should be?
Should the Intel Rapid Storage be enabled or disabled in the BIOS?
Should the Intel Rapid Start be enabled or disabled in the BIOS?
Should the UEFI Secure boot be enabled or disabled?
Should I use UEFI or Legacy configuration in the BIOS?

Please note that I have not cloned the original 1TB HDD to the new SAMSUNG SSD 850 EVO. Instead I have clean installed WIndows 10 64-bit from a USB drive.

Please Help!! The laptop is still slower than with the original configuration.