interesting computer boot problem, need help

Sep 17, 2018
i have a very interesting problem thats getting to me. i have an HP Desktop PC Pavilion 500-c60, running on windows 10. i booted it up and logged in, and went to do something for about 30 minutes. when i got back, the monitor was black (i assumed it was in sleep mode). i tried to wake it up by pressing buttons and wiggling my mouse, nothing worked. the power button did not shut the pc off, so i pulled the plug. when i try to turn it on, hard drive powers up, fans spin, and everything seems okay except it wont post. things ive tried: resetting the cmos, reseating the ram, disconnecting everything except mouse/keyboard, a different monitor, and turning off the system and draining of power. nothing works. holding the power button does not turn it off either, and the LED in the power button does not turn on.

Sep 17, 2018

I have tried booting into just the bios without the hard drive connected. also i should mention no power goes to the USb ports

Sep 17, 2018

the "psu" is an external brick-- the power connects directly to the motherboard

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
Get a can of keyboard cleaning air and spray the hell out of motherboard, psu, any cooling fans etc. Then retry starting it. It sounds to me like you have a dust arcing going on from dirty computer inside.

Sep 17, 2018

i tried a few keyboards, and i cleaned the heatsink/fans thoroughly. i even replaced the thermal paste just about 3 months back when i reassembled the thing. and again, the power supply is an external brick, so that cant really get dusty enough to cause a problem

Sep 17, 2018

i doubt it, it is secured to my desk and cannot move, and it was working just 30 minutes earlier, nothing was running when the problem started

Sep 17, 2018

the system would not boot with a guaranteed working stick of ddr3 from my main rig, and the cpu is soldered to the motherboard

Sep 17, 2018

+ if it was the cpu/motherboard, the fans would spin out of control (i think). they are running at a normal speed though

Ralston18

Titan
Proprietary I think....

Not sure how to troubleshoot unless you happen to know someone with an identical "brick" and wires.

May be able to test the brick's output if you know how to safely do so and have a multimeter. Or again, someone who can help with that as well.

Last resort would be to purchase a replacement brick etc... Hope being that the problem is indeed the power brick.

No guarantees....

Sep 17, 2018

I dont think the power supply is the problem. just to verify this, i tried it on a laptop that uses the same connector, and it charged properly

Ralston18

Titan
Good - if the brick and power cables work elsewhere then you have most likely narrowed down the problem to being within your desktop.

However, charging a laptop is not the same as providing the necessary power to a working desktop.

Not being able to post - could be the motherboard.

Sep 17, 2018

its not a very powerful desktop-- there are many laptops with the same processor (a6-5200). and how would the motherboard break from being idle? thats why this whole situation is confusing me so much haha

Sep 17, 2018

yes i checked with only 1 ram stick installed, one from my main rig that i know works, and i tried it in both slots. every test i did i unplugged it then held the power button down for 15 seconds. i then plugged it in and left it to run for about 2 minutes before testing another variable

Sep 17, 2018

none of the caps are blown, there are no burn marks, the fan was on, if the motherboard really failed when doing nothing im never buying from hp again

techiebee18

Great
Aug 20, 2018
You have mentioned that the system displays a black screen automatically. Verify if the power outlet is working correctly. As you are running your system on Windows 10 OS, it has two options-Hibernate and Hybrid Sleep mode. Check if any of the modes are enabled. If yes, disable it and check if the system works properly.

Sep 17, 2018

nope i already tried a different outlet