Question Intermitent BSOD

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
I keep getting random BSOD's that dont seem to be realted to anything.
It fist started after i upgraded my motherboard, memory and cpu. I didnt do a clean install of windows so i thought it was that. Done a clean install and that stopped it.

Then i upgraded my HDD to a SSD and my GPU . I also moved my last HDD to a usb enclosure. This caused random black screens and my SSD to not show up in the bios, i now uses the HDD in a NAS and i havent had any problems in days. Played red dead 2 all day for two of them, pc was on for 48 hrs at one point coping files an no issues. Today i turn it on, watch a video from the NAS and i get a WHEA uncorrectable error, it restarts and does it again 20 min later just looking at the web. Hasnt happend for 2 hrs on the 2nd restart.

I have no idea whats wrong here and its driving me nuts please help! lol

Heats doesnt seem to be a issue its a custom loop and evryting is in the low 30s to high 20s at idle. Whent he BSOD happend it was all but idle so the temps where the same.

I9-9900K
Maximus XI Formula
Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
Adata SX8200 Pro M.2-2280 2TB PCI Express 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XTREME WATERFORCE WB 11GB
Creative Sound Blaster ZxR

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
First of all thanks for helping

Im self taught so there is some weird holes in my knowlage, especially when it comes to software and windows.

Okay that didnt find anythign.

So it crashed first after about a hour of watching movies, then it crashed again 20min later just browsing the web, i went straight to BIOS to check temp in case my pump had died or somthing with heat but it was in the 30s everywhere. I spen about a hour browsing the web and trying different things that i didnt really expect to help but i would try anything, then played RDR for over 2 hours without a problem. This is so weird and far above my skill level.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents

upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Ok so my pc ran for 13 hrs straight playing RDR 2 for 8 hrs and video for the rest, no crashes. I am so confused and i dont think its fixed, so i would like to keep going to see exactly what is wrong.

I will do that in case it crashes again, is there anythign we can do even if it doesnt cras again anytime soon? so i can know for sure if its fixed? I have blue screen view if that helps anyone?

Yeah when i put in the ssd i done a clean install of windows and updated all the drivers.

Thank you all for your help so far!

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Some BSOD have been fixed by windows updates recently so its possible the problem is fixed.
BSOD don't wave a white flag, they just stop so only true way to know its fixed is by them not happening

What does Blue screenview show? If its recorded any BSOD at all the minidump files will already be in c:/windows/minidump folder

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
I dont think i have had any windows updates since it stoped.

==================================================
Dump File : 110719-10390-01.dmp
Crash Time : 07/11/2019 22:07:15
Bug Check String :
Bug Check Code : 0x00000124
Parameter 1 : 0000000000000000 Parameter 2 : ffffd80f5ab3c028
Parameter 3 : 00000000f2000000 Parameter 4 : 0000000000030005
Caused By Driver : hal.dll
Caused By Address : hal.dll+47fe8
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+1c1220
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\110719-10390-01.dmp
Processors Count : 16
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 18362
Dump File Size : 944,180
Dump File Time : 07/11/2019 22:08:02

Colif

Win 11 Master
WHEA error. Windows Hardware Error Architecture. Its an error called by CPU but not necessarily caused by it.
Can be caused by heat
can be caused by overclocking, so remove one if you have it oc now.
can be caused by overclocking software - remove AI Suite, remove MSI Afterburner
Can be fixed by updating BIOS
Can be caused by any hardware

You replaced entire PC?
New cpu, ram, motherboard, GPU & SSD. Is there anything else in PC not mentioned?

Can you go to C:/windows/minidump
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

you have one now as your report says - Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\110719-10390-01.dmp

hal.dll - Hardware Abstraction Layer
Ntoskrnl = Windows kernel

even without the Bug Check Code : 0x00000124 , those 2 files names would have told me what BSOD you got.

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Yeah whole thing is new, only thing thats a couple of years old is my 1200w corsair psu and my DVD/Blue Ray player/writer.

I did say in my originl post ot was WHEA BSOD and that temps arent a problem, evrything is in the low 30s. No Overclocks.No Overclocking software either.

Yeah thats from the crash on the 7th, its been runign full bore 12 hrs a day for 2 days and no issues. I can put it here but i dont use file sharing websites so where do i go?

Thanks for the help so far.

Last edited:

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Nope i did have a 2tb hdd and 4tb hdd, now i have a 2tb ssd and 4tb NAS thats soon to be 6TB. I also have a external 6TB backup drive. I never needed the "the could", i worry about rain....

Memtest checks out fine already tired that, i stress tested the crap outta it using 3d mark when i built and it all went fine, it worked fine for days before BSOD twice, hasent happend sice and i been runing it full bore (mainly RDR2 on 1080p all ultra) for over 12hrs a day since the last crash.I play a lot of total warhammer 2 as well that stress the cpu a lot. The BSOD's happend watching vidoes off my NAS the first time and using firefox the 2nd time, for this PC that basicly idle, temps were as idle low 30s-to high 20's. All the drivers are up to date.

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
I did run chkdsk on the 4TB storage drive thats now in my NAS, I havent run it on my SSD yet because i stopped having issues with it when i removed all my HDDS and put them in the NAS.

I only have the SSD and my Optical drive installed, no other drives are conected other than through a network, the SSD is my OS drive and im pretty sure its first on the boot list.

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Ok just had my first BSOD since the 7th.

DPC Watchdog

Dump File : 111019-8250-01.dmp
Crash Time : 10/11/2019 13:06:44
Bug Check String :
Bug Check Code : 0x00000133
Parameter 1 : 0000000000000000 Parameter 2 : 0000000000000501
Parameter 3 : 0000000000000500 Parameter 4 : fffff80725d73358
Caused By Driver : hal.dll
Caused By Address : hal.dll+1848
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+1c1220
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\111019-8250-01.dmp
Processors Count : 16
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 18362
Dump File Size : 2,397,194
Dump File Time : 10/11/2019 13:07:21

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Im still getting BSOD's and sometimes a freze and reset. It still makes no sense, i can play game for hours, up to about 12 or more in some cases no problem then for reason i get BSOD or a freze. its happend on the 26th/23rd/22nd but from then to the 10th nothing. sometimes its happens watching movies online but today was the first time its ever done it while i was playing.

Its either DPC watchdog or i had one that was something to do with nvlddmkm.

I still really need help with this, i was only just able to afford to build this and its seems like i never going to get it to work right.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you could find somewhere you trust to upload the minidump files, we could use those to fix your problems.

the codes aren't enough, dump files can show what drivers were running and often those can be the cause

DPC watchdog can be drivers.
WHEA errors can be drivers

can you download and run driver view - all it does is shows what drivers are currently running
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
When you run it, go into View tab and set it to hide all microsoft drivers, that will radically reduce list.

DO you trust image sharing websites? If so, upload a screenshot that shows all the columns from (and including) Driver name all the way to (and including) creation date

If you don't trust image sites, I would look through the list and look for any drivers that are older than 2017. Give us the names and I can see if there are newer versions

Asus motherboards could have a process called Asus Input output driver, its often called ASio.sys. I have seen it cause WHEA errors as it changes CPU values.

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Sorry my reply is late i have a lot goin on right now. Thank you for taking the time to help.

I didnt mean to give the impression that i wouldnt use could storage for this, i just dont know how and would need somone to explain what to do. I just wouldnt trust them with my photos or my movie collection its not some crazy tin hat thing.. I havent lost any data since the 90s so i dont see why i should use them so i havent, thats why i dont know how.

Ill try and run driver view tomorrow.

I have updated my bios and havent had a crash since but it hasnt even been a day yet. its was 4 versions behind current, one of them had a stabilty fix for ssd's. Other than my DVD play my only drive is a 2tb SSD by ADATA. The only reason i didnt think to do it before if because i got the impression EZ update would tell me it was out of date and it didnt, so i got rid of EZ Update and cheked the version numbers

Colif

Win 11 Master
I get the losing data thing but if anything, cloud has made my life easier and less stressed. Before i could upload all my music to a cloud I was always concerned about losing it and having to recreate it the slow painful way. Now I have it on 2 cloud services I am more relaxed.

Easiest one would be onedrive since its built into win 10. You can choose what to put on it and therefore just use it for this particular case if you like
how to upload files to onedrive (I just use this site as they make clear instructions, no offence meant) - https://www.dummies.com/computers/o...-to-upload-files-to-onedrive-with-windows-10/

This shows how to share files - https://www.howtogeek.com/233339/how-to-share-files-and-folders-from-onedrive-in-windows-10/

If you can do that much, we might get somewhere :D

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/XWGZ.html
File information:112919-10921-01.dmp (Nov 29 2019 - 01:38:57)
Bugcheck:CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (101)
Probably caused by:Unknown_Image (Process: esrv.exe)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 5 Hour(s), 08 Min(s), and 03 Sec(s)

File information:112619-9562-01.dmp (Nov 25 2019 - 21:43:38)
Bugcheck:DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)
Probably caused by:ksthunk.sys (Process: audiodg.exe)
Uptime:2 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 57 Min(s), and 32 Sec(s)

File information:111019-8250-01.dmp (Nov 10 2019 - 08:06:44)
Bugcheck:DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: System)
Uptime:2 Day(s), 14 Hour(s), 08 Min(s), and 13 Sec(s)

File information:110719-9203-01.dmp (Nov 7 2019 - 17:27:21)
Bugcheck:WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
Probably caused by:GenuineIntel (Process: firefox.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 19 Min(s), and 30 Sec(s)

File information:110719-10390-01.dmp (Nov 7 2019 - 17:07:15)
Bugcheck:WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
Probably caused by:GenuineIntel (Process: System)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 13 Hour(s), 10 Min(s), and 53 Sec(s)
Possible Motherboard page: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-XI-FORMULA/
There is a BIOS update available for your system (version 1302). You are using version 0903. Wait for additional information before deciding to update or not. Important: Verify that I have linked to the correct motherboard. Updating your BIOS can be risky. Never try it when you might lose power (lightning storms, recent power outages, etc).

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.