Question Intermitent BSOD

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
I keep getting random BSOD's that dont seem to be realted to anything.
It fist started after i upgraded my motherboard, memory and cpu. I didnt do a clean install of windows so i thought it was that. Done a clean install and that stopped it.

Then i upgraded my HDD to a SSD and my GPU . I also moved my last HDD to a usb enclosure. This caused random black screens and my SSD to not show up in the bios, i now uses the HDD in a NAS and i havent had any problems in days. Played red dead 2 all day for two of them, pc was on for 48 hrs at one point coping files an no issues. Today i turn it on, watch a video from the NAS and i get a WHEA uncorrectable error, it restarts and does it again 20 min later just looking at the web. Hasnt happend for 2 hrs on the 2nd restart.

I have no idea whats wrong here and its driving me nuts please help! lol

Heats doesnt seem to be a issue its a custom loop and evryting is in the low 30s to high 20s at idle. Whent he BSOD happend it was all but idle so the temps where the same.

I9-9900K
Maximus XI Formula
Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16
Adata SX8200 Pro M.2-2280 2TB PCI Express 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XTREME WATERFORCE WB 11GB
Creative Sound Blaster ZxR

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't know how much PC is back now or if he still on holidays. I had also asked you to post on here but if you get an answer on tenforums, its more or less some of the same people. I will ask gardenman to look at it again but at this point fresh eyes might see something I have missed.

If we had someone close to your location I would get someone to visit you but I am on the other side of the planet...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I don't know how much PC is back now or if he still on holidays. I had also asked you to post on here but if you get an answer on tenforums, its more or less some of the same people. I will ask gardenman to look at it again but at this point fresh eyes might see something I have missed.

If we had someone close to your location I would get someone to visit you but I am on the other side of the planet...
I would agree with this and post on Sysnative, I know the people on there and they're excellent.
Mr Pepka who has responded to you on Ten is also one of the tutors on Sysnative so you might get some luck there.

Have you gotten the sound card out yet? From what you'd written, it seems going without it is not an option. Just pull it out - use headphones if you have to. You must eliminate it as a suspect and waiting for a replacement only delays the answer. I can totally sympathize about not wanting to disassemble your rig due to everything being buried in water cooling, but you're not there yet. Just deal with removing the sound card first. In my situation I had problems with random restarts for months and at first I tried everything software/firmware related. The last thing I did was swap the PSU because my PC is mini-ITX and PSU cables were snaked in and out and through everywhere. In my case, it was in fact the PSU that was the problem. Have you also tried going into BIOS and select "load optimized defaults" or similar? Also, make sure the mobo BIOS itself doesn't auto-enable OC features by default, like multi core enhancement, even though the user might not want it.

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
I have to update the bios.Again. <Mod Edit>

I havent orderd the new card yet but i will soon, i have no headphones. If the soundcard doesnt fix im gunna swap out my psu and follow any other advice i get.

Pretty sure i used optimized defults and i set the auto OC off. I chek after i update the bios,

Last edited by a moderator:

Colif

Win 11 Master
You could give us the dumps.

Unless you still getting help from other places.. I don't want to interrupt them. I have been really busy last (forever) but I have time now to try to get this fixed (jumps up and down). as it shouldn't be this hard to figure out.

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Onedrive wont even work for me, swear this is the last pc i build....

No its tsuck on syncing, stays at 255kb. Even if i had more files they get stuck at the same place.

Ill use google drive and post a link.

So last two times i shut down my pc my family had to wake my ass up to tell me it came back on about a hour later. Thats new and i have no idea why thats started to happen.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So last two times i shut down my pc my family had to wake my ass up to tell me it came back on about a hour later. Thats new and i have no idea why thats started to happen.

Turned off or in sleep mode?

I don't know how that can happen unless you have fast startup turned on. I mean, if its shut down, and fast startup is off, its actually off. Fast startup shouldn't cause it to restart either.

I am not sure how it could do it. faulty PSU? faulty power switch? motherboard? something in the chain of power caused it to start again?

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
It didnt do it today when i was alone on the house, im gunna guess somone is doing the somthing to make it start.

I may fast startup on im not sure.

If the soundcard doesnt work im gunna swap put the PSU and get a longer lead so i dont have to use extension/surge protector in case its that.

Colif

Win 11 Master

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
I can get rid of any old ones, think i did already though trying to fix one drive but ill double check.

As far as i know they stoped replying after asking me to update the BIOS, i dont wana try that yet because i have already tried it and it didnt work.

Its on order so its just waiting now.

gardenman

Splendid
I'm not sure which files are new. I need a link and list of files, every single time. Most people create a new folder each time and upload the files into that folder and just provide a link to the new folder. I'll assume the 7 January files (filename begins with 01) are new so I'll do those.

I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://trifocalstep.htmlpasta.com/
File information:011220-8921-01.dmp (Jan 12 2020 - 17:31:01)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: svchost.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 52 Min(s), and 53 Sec(s)

File information:011220-10187-01.dmp (Jan 12 2020 - 14:35:39)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9F)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 15 Hour(s), 43 Min(s), and 50 Sec(s)

File information:011120-8953-01.dmp (Jan 10 2020 - 21:18:04)
Bugcheck:WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
Probably caused by:GenuineIntel (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 30 Min(s), and 41 Sec(s)

File information:011120-10015-01.dmp (Jan 10 2020 - 22:49:32)
Probably caused by:GenuineIntel (Process: dfx.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 29 Min(s), and 17 Sec(s)

File information:011020-9812-01.dmp (Jan 9 2020 - 21:33:11)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 04 Min(s), and 16 Sec(s)

File information:011020-9468-01.dmp (Jan 9 2020 - 19:26:51)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: svchost.exe)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 25 Min(s), and 00 Sec(s)

File information:011020-8875-01.dmp (Jan 10 2020 - 18:45:15)
Probably caused by:GenuineIntel (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 21 Hour(s), 09 Min(s), and 31 Sec(s)
This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Driver power state error mentions ks.sys. Its used for video capture and often if I see win32k.sys (which is part of kernel) crashing I can point my finger at GPU drivers, and you do have latest Nvidia drivers. It could be them.

Try running DDU and instead of getting drivers from Nvidia, run windows update - https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...n-install-of-your-video-card-drivers.2402269/

its possible the other errors you have received recently are caused by GPU drivers but after 5 pages, I start to doubt it.

your problem seems to move around PC, it could well be motherboard or CPU as suggested by Tenforums. Did you try sysnative as I suggested? I want to fix this almost as much as you do now.

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Well right now i just trying to replace evrything that was in old pc that had similar problems that i never figured out. Could it be power related? Its pluged into the same old surge protector along with a bunch of other stuff, im thinking of getting a power cable long enough to go straiight into the socket and if that fails switch out my PSU for my spare 1000w one.

Sound cards on its way but i had to get it from creative because amazon dont stock the AE9. So god only knows when that gunna show up.

After all that it just random RMA's i guess starting with the CPU then MB,Mem and GPU.

Im pretty sure i tired DDU but i didnt try windows update for drivers so will try that and get back to yall.

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Ok the sound card came today, im gunna try to get that in either today or tomorrow latest.

At least we have a plan should the sound card not work. How important are surge protectors really? Can i just get a kettle lead? Im 30 and i have never seen power surge at all let alone one take out anything.

Id jut like to say thank you so much for the help so far, we have been at this litterally months, i get the feeling it will never get fixed yet yall (colif most of all) have hung in there to help me.Im really greatfull.

Iron_Lion

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
Ok sound card is in. Its now a Sound Blaster AE-9. should i change it in the first post?

Strangly my pc hasnt BSOD for the last 2 or 3 days, not sure why. But we will have to wait and see, but if it is fixed it could have fixed it self, it might not be because of the card so we might never know for sure...