[SOLVED] Intermittent audio distortion and video lag using Skype and Zoom

Oct 6, 2020
Concise:
Intermittent audio distortion and video lag using Skype or Zoom.

Baseline:
My internet connection is over 100 megabit per second down load and 11 megabit per second upload. For years I have used an under powered Laptop with no issues on either application. If my target had a poor connection, I would ask that they stop sending me video and that usually resolved the problems.

I do public speaking at elementary schools, colleges and community clubs. Due to Covid I work mostly remotely but I have used both Zoom and Skype to do presentations interstate with no problems. I was forced to work with a low-quality camera in a cheap laptop and I had to lean forward to make sure that my face was near the microphone in the laptop.

Recently I have completed a new workstation using an Intel 11900k processor, Logitech BRIO camera and Elgato Wave III microphone. When using Zoom or Skype I now get intermittent lag and distortion in cycles of approximately 45 seconds of distortion followed by 3 to 5 mins of clear communication. I get complements on the new clarity of the Wave III microphone but I now deal with these periods of distortion.
I do not get the problem when testing on my machine. I need a connection to another computer to observe the problem. I use ethernet connections between the computer and the router.
I have tried using OBS Studio and the Wavelink app. These seem to make no difference when present or absent. With the laptop I share the screen to show PowerPoint full screen with no problems. With the new machine I want to use OBS to develop a format that allows me to show the full PowerPoint presentation while presenting my video image on screen at the same time. I also use a lower third graphic on top of my image. The Wavelink application provides a mixer that will allow me to include music from Tidal, Sound from Youtube and System audio into either the stream output or the monitor loop with independent volume control for each. The distortion seems to be independent of the use of these features.

Question 1. How do I test this without using a remote computer for a connection? To date I make changes and wait for a friend who is willing to put up with my asking for a short skype meeting to allow me to run test.

Question 2. Does anyone know the root cause of this problem? The distortion is loud and quite noticeable in sharp contrast to the clarity produced by the upgrades that I have made. This application of remote presentation is the primary reason that I built this new workstation.

Check for updated drivers for the system, you may need to go to Intel to download the video drivers for the CPU video chip directly from them instead of the PC maker to get the latest one.

How to test, no real way aside from setting up a second system somewhere to use.

Did you contact Zoom support to check with them? Are you using a virtual back-ground? Those can cause issues with some versions of the program and video chipsets.

Most cases the issues with remove video/calls is the internet link between the systems.

Oct 6, 2020
Hi! Thanks for the reply. Due to the fact that the problem does not occur unless I am in a call I have made several changes between each test. I have updated drivers for the Wave 3 and windows 10. I am not currently using the iGPU in the processor. I have an ASUS RTX 3060 OC which also has updated drivers. I currently do not use NVENC or the AI noise reduction.

So far I have seen no difference in performance using the Wave 3 directly into Zoom or Skype vs using the Wave Link application. Also I have tried working through OBS Studio using the virtual camera output. None of these seem to affect the problem. It only occurs during an actual call. Currently I am tied up trying to run two different probate issues one in Cal and one in Tx*. There are times when I cannot afford for my computer to be unavailable.

My next step is to create another Skype account and attempt what you suggest to see if the problem occurs. Generally this happens within the first 10 minutes of the conversation. I do not have accurate timing information because it happens when I am in a real call and I have to pay attention to the meeting rather than taking data.

I am in contact with Elgato and my ISP. The problem has not occurred when using the Webcam microphone, Logitech BRIO, and seems to be associated with actual connections over the net. I have already tried the things suggested by Elgato. The ISP has been less than helpful. They suggest that I purchase a new router and pay for upgraded service. I currently measure 171 megabit download and 11 megabit upload. I live alone and usually use only one device at a time. There are never other devices active while I am on a call. I resist getting a new router because both these applications worked great using the same cable modem and router with my old slow laptop. I use only Ethernet connections for these meetings.

It may be that the faster 11900k and motherboard may be sensitive to the issue that the slower system ignored. This was often the case at my work with old parts were no longer available and a "drop in replacement" was offered. The replacements were usually faster and would often cause mysterious new problems. I am willing to get the new router but I would like to understand the problem better before making that investment. One reason I want a new router is that my motherboard supports 2.5Gig Land connections and the router is 1 gigabit.

I really like the microphone and love the way it sounds when the distortion is not happening. My friends now say that I have "Radio Voice".

* Do your loved ones a favor and make an estate plan!