Question Intermittent black screen, is it my GPU or my memory or something else....?

Sep 9, 2021
I have been plagued by a problem with the PC for some time and I am running out of ideas.
At irregular intervals, sometimes not for a week, then maybe 2 times a day, the screens simply go out, as if the screens would simply no longer get a signal. The sound is then heard for a few seconds and then the pc freezes or sometimes just restarts. Today for the first time it just happened on the desktop as well.
I have of course tried many things:
-tested different graphics card driver versions, each time with clean install
-reinstalled windows, after that i had peace for a week
-ran gpu and cpu stress test, but no crash.
-tested hardware components with programs (for example the RAM) but found no errors.

If the pc doesn't reboot itself in the process, I have to hold down the power button.

If it reboots by itself I can read the dumps and see which sys files crash.... Can't do anything with it though.

Online research and recommendations have brought nothing. I could not test the PSU until now.

The Pc is no 2 years old and self-built. All components are still under warranty.

I can provide more detailed information.

I am using gpu-z to measure my temps und stuff and at the time of the "blackscreen" the gpu just vanishes from the log and the used memory is pretty high i think (about 11600 MB).

Here you can see the line in the log before the crash:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gatbzvE2G8UFibyiCb5Ztmca2a_WRBwu/view?usp=sharing

Can someone help me please....

With kind regards
Ravencell

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor 3.60 GHz
Motherboard: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd B450 TOMAHAWK MAX (MS-7C02) JA16270667 1.0
Ram: 16 GB (16GB (2x 8192MB) Crucial Ballistix Sport LT V2 Single Rank grau DDR4-3000 DIMM CL15-16-16 Dual Kit )
SSD/HDD: 3000GB Toshiba DT01ACA Serie DT01ACA300 7.200U/min 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s UND Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB
GPU: NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2070 SUPER
PSU: 600 Watt be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM Modular 80+ Gold

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
When "the sound continues for a second", do you mean that it continues normally as if the game/whatever was still running or does it starts looping like a corrupt CD/MP3? If the sound is looping, the computer has crashed and the sound stops when the computer either resets or shuts down.

Random crashes getting increasingly frequent under a wider variety of situations is often a sign that the PSU is wearing out and cannot cope with the same breadth of transient combinations that it could when it was fresher.

This sounds similar to what was happening when my old PSU was going out in my first prebuilt. The PSU is not a diagnosable component, at least by most people or even professionals. I spent hours on tech support with the company (warranty replacement over, lifetime tech support). The guy on the other end tried everything he could think of, and after a week or more of talking, and trying different solutions, he told me he/the company were out of ideas. I would get random game crashes, PC crashes, and BSODs, sometimes multiple per day, sometimes not for a week or more. I had been planning to slowly upgrade what I could on it, and at one point, purchased a new EVGA 750W PSU, which I planned to reuse in a new build later, which I did. After 3 weeks of using the PC every day, I realized that since I had replaced the PSU, the random crashing issues went away. It never came back either. If you can afford to, I would recommend buying (even temporarily) a new PSU, and see if that fixes the issue.

InvalidError

Titan
The PSU is not a diagnosable component, at least by most people or even professionals.
Most PSU issues are easy enough to diagnose with an oscilloscope where a multi-meter and paper clip aren't enough.

Intermittent issues of any sort with any component though are always troublesome since you cannot trigger them on demand and work your way through possible causes.

BTW, the last time I had one of my PCs crash due to a PSU-related issue a few years ago, it was from forgetting to clean the PSU air filter for too long. If your case has a PSU air filter, you may want to check that just in case.

Reactions: Ravencell
Sep 9, 2021
Most PSU issues are easy enough to diagnose with an oscilloscope where a multi-meter and paper clip aren't enough.

Intermittent issues of any sort with any component though are always troublesome since you cannot trigger them on demand and work your way through possible causes.

BTW, the last time I had one of my PCs crash due to a PSU-related issue a few years ago, it was from forgetting to clean the PSU air filter for too long. If your case has a PSU air filter, you may want to check that just in case.

I will do that and thanks for the tip!!

Sep 9, 2021
When "the sound continues for a second", do you mean that it continues normally as if the game/whatever was still running or does it starts looping like a corrupt CD/MP3? If the sound is looping, the computer has crashed and the sound stops when the computer either resets or shuts down.

Random crashes getting increasingly frequent under a wider variety of situations is often a sign that the PSU is wearing out and cannot cope with the same breadth of transient combinations that it could when it was fresher.

it just continuous without any looping. For example if i am in on a discord server, i still can hear the others talking for some seconds but they cant hear me....
an then the sound cuts off , the monitors are still without signal and my pc is still "running". And with running i mean that i can hear the fans runnig etc...The it restarts itself or i have to hard reset it.