Question Intermittent black screens with new GPU ?

Jul 24, 2024
Hey all, so I replaced my aging GTX 1050ti with an XFX RX 580 8GB 2048SP (basically an overclocked RX 570) and currently having a blast with it, though the next day I encountered an issue when playing Warthunder.

During playing the game I had a few stutters then suddenly display went blank and eventually it returned with adrenalin saying that it detected problems with the driver, prior to this I had undervolted the gpu to 990mv at 1286 MHz and ram at level 2 timings at 850mv and 2000 MHz, and a custom fan curve, temps at the time are around 60 - 65c I figured that the problem is probably the undervolt or the overclocked ram with 850 mv so I reverted everything back to stock except for the fan curve and there were no black screen or crashes when playing warthunder.

afterwards I decided to play some helldivers 2 with no problems whatsoever but after closing the game and trying to turn off AMD's overlay the screen suddenly went blank and display a no signal then after a few seconds it went back to normal, adrenalin shows no errors with driver problems and windows event viewer does not mention anything with display driver related errors.

I reinstalled amd drivers and ran uniengine heaven benchmark to see if black screen would occur again, sure enough when transitioning to the dark scene screen went dark temporarily and went back to normal, with the uniengine still going.

I ran the benchmark several times and did not encounter blackscreen again, I currently have the gpu undervolted to 990mv at 1286MHz again and so far had no blackscreen issues as of now, so far encountered 1 driver crash, and 3 intermittent black screens.

here is what I did as of now:
- set custom fan curve
- undervolted to 990mv at 1286MHz at left ram at stock mv and clockspeed
- set power limit to 50%
- repasted the GPU

system specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3400g
GPU: XFX RX 580 8gb 2048SP
RAM: 2 x 8GB 2666mhz ADATA XPG Flame
STORAGE: 512GB Teamgroup MP33 PRO SSD
PSU: Acer AC650

I would appreciate some help, thank you!

Last edited:

ReeDoK

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2017
Hi there! Do you have FreeSync enabled? You should try to install the AMD PRO Driver. It's not meant for gaming (the performance difference is small though), but maybe it's more stable, just for diagnostic purposes. Also, do you have the AMD Chipset drivers installed?

Jul 24, 2024
Hi there! Do you have FreeSync enabled? You should try to install the AMD PRO Driver. It's not meant for gaming (the performance difference is small though), but maybe it's more stable, just for diagnostic purposes. Also, do you have the AMD Chipset drivers installed?
Hi, sure, I'll try out the pro drivers, and no my monitor does not support freesync.

AMD chipset is also installed.

quick question, would you recommend community drivers for the rx 580? I heard that it is better for stability and performance as opposed to the current amd drivers.

ReeDoK

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2017
Hi, sure, I'll try out the pro drivers, and no my monitor does not support freesync.

AMD chipset is also installed.

quick question, would you recommend community drivers for the rx 580? I heard that it is better for stability and performance as opposed to the current amd drivers.
I heard about the RdN.ID (Amernime) drivers, if that's what you mean. I don't think it will do any harm, but in some benchmarks you get worse performance compared to official drivers. You can try of course, but make sure you use Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to remove the previous driver.

TRENDING THREADS