[SOLVED] Intermittent boot on new system upgrade

Guildive

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2015
I just upgraded my system from a Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 running an i5-4690 with 8 GB DDR3 to a B450 Tomahawk Max running a Ryzen 5 3600X with 16 GB DDR4. GPU is unchanged from the old system, a GTX 1080.
I've got a CoolerMaster RS-700 PSU which has given me zero issues for the past seven years, and I've run some tests and it appears I have plenty of wattage headroom, so I don't think its power-related.

I have not done a Windows 10 reinstall or made any driver or software changes, since I did not swap my SSD and HDD and Windows reactivated itself on the first boot automatically. I have not encountered any other issues with the build beyond the boot.

The issue is that Windows will boot about half the time. I get a BIOS splash screen and sometimes I'll get into the OS and sometimes I will get a black screen with no display feed. PC continues to run until I hit the reset button, then it will usually boot normally. I’ve updated to the latest chipset drivers and that has had no effect. Any ideas as to what could be causing this? The issue only began with the hardware change.

Md Noman 1

Reputable
Feb 3, 2017
I just upgraded my system from a Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 running an i5-4690 with 8 GB DDR3 to a B450 Tomahawk Max running a Ryzen 5 3600X with 16 GB DDR4. GPU is unchanged from the old system, a GTX 1080.
I've got a CoolerMaster RS-700 PSU which has given me zero issues for the past seven years, and I've run some tests and it appears I have plenty of wattage headroom, so I don't think its power-related.

I have not done a Windows 10 reinstall or made any driver or software changes, since I did not swap my SSD and HDD and Windows reactivated itself on the first boot automatically. I have not encountered any other issues with the build beyond the boot.

The issue is that Windows will boot about half the time. I get a BIOS splash screen and sometimes I'll get into the OS and sometimes I will get a black screen with no display feed. PC continues to run until I hit the reset button, then it will usually boot normally. I’ve updated to the latest chipset drivers and that has had no effect. Any ideas as to what could be causing this? The issue only began with the hardware change.
Hi there did you try the startup repair??