Question Intermittent Computer unresponsive/black screen/peripherals stop responding

Mar 15, 2019
Hi All,

I've been battling an intermittent problem for a few weeks now and since I've had no luck in narrowing it down, I thought I'd bring the questions/symptoms here. You will see the symptoms and things I've done below. I've also checked the Event Viewer but there are gaps in time. For example, the computer had a black screen and unresponsive after sitting overnight. After a hard reboot, I checked the Event Viewer and saw the hard reboot at 9:50am, but the last log before the hard reboot was at 11:47pm and was only info messages. The computer may run fine for several days straight (maybe even a week), or it could happen a couple times in one day. Has anyone experienced something like this? Does anyone have any ideas to help narrow this down?

Most recent symptoms:
-After sitting overnight, computer will still be "running" but there is no network, mouse and keyboard don't work, and screen remains black. requires a hard reboot

Symptoms that have occurred over the last ~4 weeks:
-All peripherals stop working while in a game (can still see the game running) or while casually using the computer (these times did not have something like a game on the screen to show that it wasn't completely frozen)
-WHEA BSOD (this only occurred on one day within the last month. I restored from backup and haven't seen this since)

Things I have done:
-CPU stress test
-Mem test
-HD restore from backup
-chkdsk
-removed all but one RAM stick
-reset CPU, GPU, and RAM
Note: i have not overclocked the system

Crucial_ct750mx300ssd1
Asus p8z77-v lx
intel i7-3770k
don't have power supply make/model but it is right at 2 years old

Mar 15, 2019
Update: I ran a more extensive memory test and found reports of a bad ram module. I'm continuing testing but I think I just had the bad luck of keeping the wrong ram stick.