Question Intermittent Freezing, bad PSU?

zmihlrad

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
I have been trying to get to the bottom of this intermittent freezing I am getting with my new PC (november 2018)

Since day 1 its been freezing intermittently with no obvious reason why. When it freezes, it only stays frozen for around 3-5 seconds and then lets go. During the freeze, the HDD light will stay on solid as well and sometimes will hear something winding up like the HDD spinning or something I don't really know.

So far I have run
furmax nothing seems wrong
Memtest86 no issues
Prime95 for 40 hours with no failures.

Also, this freeze sometimes occurs when the PC is just sitting idle/playing music and nothing else really putting it under a load. It sounds like a fan winding up or something when it happens.

I asked this question in another section thinking my memory was the issue but it was suggested it could be the PSU? (Which is brand new as well)

Windows 10
ASRock G370 Extreme 4 MOBO
Intel Core i7 8700 Coffee lake
AMD Vega 64 video card
8gb G Skill Ram
250gb SSD Crucial MX500 that literally everything is loaded onto currently
128gb backup SSD that is empty
1TB Seagate HDD that is empty
Rosewill Hive series 750w Gaming Power Supply.

zmihlrad

Reputable
Nov 20, 2018
I appreciate the input but could you elaborate why?

It had very good reviews on newegg from what I could see. I don't know much beyond being able to plug components in so if there's a reason I will replace the thing...

ayazam

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2013
since you already had all the test trying all the main component, how about trying to test the SSDs and HDD and since you have 2 empty drives, could you try with 2 empty drives unplugged from the motherboard? and you should borrow and try another psu and test it too (i cant elaborate why, but it eliminates the psu being one of the problem)

TRENDING THREADS