[SOLVED] Intermittent grinding noise, do I have a drive about to die?

Oct 4, 2020
In the last week I've been hearing a faint grind noise for less than a second at random times.

Near the start there would be a few hours between the noises, but now it's starting to happen more frequently, with around 10 minutes or fewer. Here's the sound: https://voca.ro/2TpeePQWTzC

Thank you!

Solution
I begrudgingly then swapped the power cables, but have heard the grind again.
You need to open your case and stick your head in to try to locate where the noise is coming from. I thought you said it was coming from the drive.
You didn't say you had multiple drives.
Oct 4, 2020
I gather you're hearing this noise from the drive itself. The noise sounds like head arms doing a read and/or write.
You can chcek the drive with Seatools - https://www.seagate.com/au/en/support/downloads/seatools/
So replace it and transfer the data as soon as you can. Drives should not make any noise.
I now use only SSDs.

All basic tests reported no errors, but if it's a physical issue that's potentially on the brink of collapsing, I'll back everything up now. Thankfully it appears to be my lower capacity drive. Thank you! (and thanks fred!)

Oct 4, 2020
Update: I tested by unplugging one of my drives' SATA cable (without the power, mistake), and backed up the smaller drive to the larger drive, and everything seemed solid, until I heard the grind noise again. I begrudgingly then swapped the power cables, but have heard the grind again.

What else could be making this noise if not a drive? Functionally whatever's making the noise shouldn't have been on during one of the two tests. I'm less concerned, more confused.

SteveRX4

Notable
BANNED
Sep 29, 2020
I begrudgingly then swapped the power cables, but have heard the grind again.
You need to open your case and stick your head in to try to locate where the noise is coming from. I thought you said it was coming from the drive.
You didn't say you had multiple drives.

Solution

fredfinks

Honorable
If its not the HDDs, then check fans - Case, PSU, GPU

There should be no other moving parts in system. i.e. to produce a 'grinding' sound.
oh any water cooling? pumps. Like Steve says, stick your ear hole close up with side panel open.