Question Intermittent Network drop issue

Feb 6, 2021
Hi everyone, I've tried everything I can think to solve this problem and can't seem to figure out what's causing this issue.

Summary: My network will randomly drop on my desktop for 10 to 20 seconds and come back. the only thing that pops up in event viewer when it happens is a "DistributedCOM Event 10016 warning" When this happens, webpages fail to load, if I'm playing a game I'm disconnected, discord get disconnected, ect. My system is connected via ethernet to my modem.

Specs:
Asus Z370-A 2 motherboard Bios revision 2403
Intel i7-9700K
32GB Kingston DDR4 RAM
Asus RTX 2080 Super
Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD
Windows 10 20H2 (19042.789)

Things I have tired:
Updated network drivers - issue remains
Ran latest Windows updates - issue remains
Tried different port on modem and a different Ethernet cable - issue remains
I have an AMD computer connected to the same modem - AMD machine doesn't have this issue

There are no other errors that are present in the event viewer when this happens. It just started today and has happened 6 or 7 times now. I can't think of anything else to try at this point.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Did you install the network drivers for your platform in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator? You might want to specify what the make and model of the modem is. You should also see if the modem is pending any firmware updates.

Feb 6, 2021
Thanks for the quick reply.

I ran the driver update again as an admin for the 1219-V network controller and reset the modem to factory settings.

Modem: Motorola MG7540 - No firmware updates

Feb 6, 2021
I ran a constant ping for almost two hours and did not experience any issues.

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 5515, Received = 5515, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 27ms, Average = 0ms

The only other thing that it could possibly be is that a new wireless HP printer was added to my network the other day. I have disconnected the printer and factory reset my modem. I will continue to monitor this situation but could it possibly be the wireless printer causing this problem? Has anyone ever heard of network drops with the addition of a printer? The print isn't connected to any computer and is an Officejet 5255.

So you say running the ping command "fixed" the problem, you no longer see drops OR you still see the drops but ping is fine.

For a printer to break another device you would have to some kind of ip conflict. You would defiantly see that on the ping command.

Feb 6, 2021
Thanks for the support everyone. After setting my modem back to factory settings the issue never came back. I believe there may have been an ip conflict with the addition of the wireless printer and will add it back to the network to see if I can replicate the issue.