[SOLVED] Intermittent PSU "Buzz" Corsair TX550M 80 Plus Gold

May 24, 2020
Hello there,

as per title I have been hearing from the case some buzz noises for a week now, at irregular times. Started days back and I managed to pin point the noise at the PSU. First thing I tried was simply to power it off, remove and insert the cable again, which did fix the problem the first time. Some hours later it came back and randomly showed up the days after.

Tried to see if the noise would show up under heavy load, for example in videogames, nothing specific. So next step just to be sure I bought a new power strip. The noise did go away for three days, but just came back today and lasted for some minutes, showing up from time to time throughout the day.

Decided to look very closely and I did notice that at the base of a brown cable I could see the rubber being shredded and showing a metal part. Now I apologize for being so vague here, but my knowledge is very limited, in any case I will upload the photo and try highlight the part as best as I can, and I also took a recording of the sound.

Here are the specs just in case the are needed:
Windows10x64
16gb
amd radeon rx 5600 xt
amd ryzen 5 3600 3.60ghz
msi b450 tomahawk max
1tb sabrent rocketq nvme SSD
1tb seagate HDD

The "Buzz" Noise:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKcvZytUjA0

Cable:
View: https://imgur.com/RReUsON

Thank you all in advance for the help, cheers.

Solution
That second picture is too small to see.

Someone told me that noise is coil whine, thought myself it was something else, but he knows way more about psu's than i do. Hope he sees this and chimes in.

If it really bothers you and is that loud is an rma a possibility so could just start one at Corsair support.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
That second picture is too small to see.

Someone told me that noise is coil whine, thought myself it was something else, but he knows way more about psu's than i do. Hope he sees this and chimes in.

If it really bothers you and is that loud is an rma a possibility so could just start one at Corsair support.

Solution

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
If the coil whine is intermittent then most likely there are some heavy equipment or otherwise low quality on the same circuit generating interference which PSU input transient filter filters out and dissipates in the form of acoustic noise.