Intermittent screen flicker

PCAardvark

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015
Wasn't sure if I should put this under screens or graphics cards. I'm running a custom build, MSI gaming 9 ACK mobo, i7 5820k cpu, 16gb ram, 1 gtx 980. Within the last 2 weeks or so when I boot the computer up there's a really bad flicker. This only happens when booting, not coming out of sleep. Over the course of about 5 minutes the flicker slowly decays, now to the point that as I'm typing this thread up its actually gone.

My monitor is an ASUS ROG 27inch, I have it running on WQHD at 144hz. I've already checked all the cables, no problems no tears everything is seated properly. Drivers are up to date. There's no heat issues, I live in AZ so it isn't like the card is starting out too cold. CPU is watercooled, everything else is air, but my average temperatures (under load) are in the 34-6s for the mobo, and mid to low 60s on the card. This doesn't happen under load - in the time it takes me to pick something to play and load it, the flicker is gone.

Interestingly, if I go into settings and chance it from 144hz to 120, it goes away,and then if I change it back to 144, problem is still gone.

It isn't a huge issue, like I said the problem is fixing itself, but it bugs the crap out of me that something isn't working, and I don't want this to be heralding a bigger problem that is coming down the line.

Thanks in advance

PCAardvark

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015

No, just one monitor. Guess I should add, I'm using a display port cord so I can't just plug it into the mobo and see if it persists.

hiyabusared

Reputable
Dec 24, 2015

I don't know what resolution your using assuming 1920x1080 try down scaling that to next lower resolution. Also have you tried turning down the brightness just a little? Some solutions I would try and see if the flicker goes away. I do remember there was issues with NVIDIA cards and screen flicker. I mean I have temp issues with the 980 ti I have using dual monitors when one monitors at 144hz n the others at 60hz but turning the one monitor from 144 to 120 fixes the temp issue for me

PCAardvark

Reputable
Feb 11, 2015

The resolution is 2560x1440, its just bizarre that it decays over time, which implies that it is some sort of warmup error that is gradually fixing itself