[SOLVED] Intermittent VGA Light On MSI MAG B550 GAMING PLUS Motherboard

Feb 22, 2022
Hello, and thank-you in advance for any help!

I had my PC build in July and it's just now having an issue booting sometimes; the LED light on the board gets stuck on VGA, passes CPU and DRAM fine, but can't past VGA to the BOOT light. The problem seems to be off and on though; it tends to happen when the PC has been shut down for a while, usually an hour, but even then it's inconsistent (I could shut it down overnight and it will boot find in the morning, but if I shut it down and come back and hour later, it will get stuck on the VGA light). If I power off the PC manually it will generally come on right afterwards, but it seems to be a very finicky issue that happens without rhyme or reason. I've tried updating the BIOS and NVidia drivers and the problem still occurs. At the moment I only have one cable plugged into the GPU's DisplayPort going into the monitor's HDMI port. I used to have a pen tablet plugged into the GPU's HDMI port, but that has since been removed and still no change.

Here are the parts, I can provide more if needed:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 5600X 4th Gen 6-core
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550 GAMING PLUS (Socket AM4) USB-C Gen 2 AMD ATX GAMING Motherboard PCIE Gen 4

virxually

Prominent
Jun 10, 2021
Try reseating the GPU. unplug all power and display cables, just take it out, and put it back in. then see if you run into any events.

Solution