Question Intermittent wifi connectivity on my laptop, all other devices work well

Zero19579

Prominent
Mar 21, 2019
Hi all,

First of all, thanks to all the helpful people in this community. I haven't had to post about any issue until today.

I've tried searching the forums for a fix to my problem with my laptop's Wi-Fi, but nothing is working for me. The problem is basically just as the title says: For some reason, I am experiencing intermittent Internet connectivity on my laptop - all other devices connected to the same router, like this phone I'm using to post, are working just fine.

My laptop:
ASUS X455LF
Windows 10 Home SL
Version 1803
OS build 17134.590

Wireless network adapter:
Qualcomm Atheros AR956x
Version 10.0.0.341 (I had to remove the latest version then install this older one some few weeks ago because then it wouldn't connect to the router at all.)

Router:
TP-Link Archer MR200

The indicator for Wi-Fi is showing full signal with status "Connected, secured".

Please let me know if more information is needed to help me fix the issue and I will provide as much as I can.

Last edited:
The latest driver is from 4 days ago and is 10.0.3.458 (after rereading this it is almost exactly 1 year old)

It is very common for microsoft to load their crap versions of drivers with patches lately. I really wish they would change the default option to not do that. There is a setting in the updates screen to prevent driver download.

You have few other options than the drivers. There is nothing you can change on the pc side really. You check for antenna issues but with a laptop it not likely they are loose or removed.

Other than that you try the standard use the other wifi band 2.4 or 5g you could try to change the channels used on the router but since other devices are ok it likely will make no difference. You could try using the laptop in a different location but that really isn't a solution it just might avoid a strong interfering signal from outside your house.

Zero19579

Prominent
Mar 21, 2019
The latest driver is from 4 days ago and is 10.0.3.458 (after rereading this it is almost exactly 1 year old)

It is very common for microsoft to load their crap versions of drivers with patches lately. I really wish they would change the default option to not do that. There is a setting in the updates screen to prevent driver download.

You have few other options than the drivers. There is nothing you can change on the pc side really. You check for antenna issues but with a laptop it not likely they are loose or removed.

Other than that you try the standard use the other wifi band 2.4 or 5g you could try to change the channels used on the router but since other devices are ok it likely will make no difference. You could try using the laptop in a different location but that really isn't a solution it just might avoid a strong interfering signal from outside your house.

I can confirm it's not my laptop. I am able to use it without interruptions on Internet connectivity (via WiFi) on the other side which has Xubuntu 18.04 installed. I need to be able to use the Windows side for work.

It is also not location because I have moved around the house, closer and closer to the router, and interruptions still happen.