[SOLVED] Internal hard drive shows up on boot but then disappears

geraintwd

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
Hi, I'm having an issue with one of my internal hard drives.
I have the following physically installed in my machine:

Disk 0 - Samsung SSD 960 Pro 512GB / Drive letter D:
Disk 1 - Western Digital WD10EZEX-60ZF5A08 1TB / Drive letter E:
Disk 2 - Hitachi_HDS721010KLA330 1TB / Drive letter G:
Disk 3 - Corsair Force GT 120GB / Drive letter C: (boot drive)

The Samsung is an M2 drive but the others are all connected via SATA ports.
The drive experiencing issues is the WD10EZEX (drive E:).

Intermittently (I've been unable thus far to establish a pattern), the drive will disappear. Not just from File Explorer, but from Disk Management and Device Manager as well.
If I then reboot and go into the BIOS, the drive is shown in there and it will show up again the next time I boot into Windows.

This issue has only started happening since upgrading my motherboard. The new board is an ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero WiFi. It didn't happen on the previous system.

I have tried the following already:
Checking for errors on the disk.
Moving the disk to a different SATA port.
Checking the power and data cables are connected properly.
Checking for updated drivers via both Windows Update and Device Manager.

About the only thing I haven't tried changing yet are the cables themselves, though, as this problem has only started since the upgrade, I'm inclined to suspect a configuration issue rather than a duff cable.

Any suggestions as to what might be causing this behaviour?
Thanks
G

Solution
@geraintwd
To be clear ... the drive always shows up on boot, but after running for a while it disappears? If that is the case, the problem is more likely a hardware issue. I would switch out the SATA cable, but I would also download WD Life Guard Tools and test the drive. If there is important data on the drive, I would back it up sooner rather than later.
@geraintwd
To be clear ... the drive always shows up on boot, but after running for a while it disappears? If that is the case, the problem is more likely a hardware issue. I would switch out the SATA cable, but I would also download WD Life Guard Tools and test the drive. If there is important data on the drive, I would back it up sooner rather than later.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS