Internal HDD Problems - Low Read/Write Speeds

thepumkin

Reputable
Oct 6, 2015
Hi, Im going to go straight to the point here:
A few days ago I started up my PC and Windows 10 Pro 64 bits wouldn't load, it just stayed in the loading screen (logo with dots moving in circle), I immediately booted a DVD with Win10Pro on it to go into the repair options and start if I remember the name correctly the "Boot Repair". The process finished, windows loaded again it took a considerably long time but since it just finished a repair I didn't pay much attention to it.

After Win10 booted (about an hour) I just decided to restart the computer, get a fresh start after the first boot from repair, see how things were doing... it took forever to start AGAIN! At this point I thought Win10 was the problem I did various repair types and even a reset which failed to complete itself.

I then loaded Ubunto on a USB to backup important files, when I noticed that while copying from my Internal HDD (Toshiba 1TB btw) to my External the transfer was extremely unstable and low from 20mb/s to 100kb/s and sometimes even hitting 0kb/s, I did some Disk benchmarks on Ubunto that seemed very low but I wasn't too sure about the results.

After a long backup process I cleaned the disk completely installed Win7 Ultimate on it (I'm currently using the PC) and ran another benchmark, it stills seems very low... but I'm not 100%. I would like some feedback on the situation.

I am afraid its a physical problem as I don't have enough money for a new HDD. All the "troubleshooting" I've done indicates that the HDD just isn't working how its supposed to and its a hardware problem not software but I think its very strange for the read/write speed to just die out like this from one day to another.

*I did switch the SATA cable before posting.
*Sorry for the long post and for creating an account just for asking the question but I'm kinda desperate and really want feedback from more experienced people.
Thanks in advance ♥
*Here is the Benchmark Results on Windows 7
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQnISKCUAAAFTAT.png

Solution
Hi there thepumkin,

Welcome to the forum. :)

It is good that you've backed up the data stored on the drive as it is most probably failing. The graph doesn't look well. My guess would be that there are some bad sectors on the drive.

One thing you can do is to attach the drive with a another power cables as well.(even to a different SATA port). In case the issue persist, you need to test the drive. If your system doesn't boot up properly, you will need to use some HDD testing tool for DOS mode(or attach the HDD to a different system as a secondary one). Otherwise, you can just use some of these: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility

Cheers,
D_Know_WD
Hi there thepumkin,

Welcome to the forum. :)

It is good that you've backed up the data stored on the drive as it is most probably failing. The graph doesn't look well. My guess would be that there are some bad sectors on the drive.

One thing you can do is to attach the drive with a another power cables as well.(even to a different SATA port). In case the issue persist, you need to test the drive. If your system doesn't boot up properly, you will need to use some HDD testing tool for DOS mode(or attach the HDD to a different system as a secondary one). Otherwise, you can just use some of these: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility

Cheers,
D_Know_WD

Solution

thepumkin

Reputable
Oct 6, 2015

Thanks a lot for the reply!