[SOLVED] Internal HDD vs External SSD?

DirtySZN

Commendable
May 6, 2020
So currently my gaming PC consists of one internal SSD - Samsung M.2 EVO 850(250GB) + one internal HDD - Hitachi HUS724020ALA640 6gbps(2TB).

My SSD is almost at capacity due to Windows programs/files plus Call of Duty Cold War.
I didn’t build my PC and I am not sure how to physically install another SSD, and I’m not sure if you are allowed to even have 2 different SSD’s in one PC honestly.

So I wanted to know if there are any external SSD’s out there at 120-250GB that I can install other games on to get better performance than my current internal HDD at a reasonable price?

I appreciate any help here, thanks!

Solution
External SSDs are fairly expensive, so I wouldnt go that route.
Another option is an external enclosure for an internal SSD, cheaper, but also poses risk if you happen to unplug or otherwise smack around the enclosure.

Adding an SSD to your system internally is fairly easy depending on available ports on the motherboard and power supply.
Its as simple as plugging in a single data cable, a single power cable, and screwing the drive into its spot.
(and yes, you can have multiple SSDs in a system, you just tell your motherboard BIOS which one has the OS and thats it)
Another option is an external enclosure for an internal SSD, cheaper, but also poses risk if you happen to unplug or otherwise smack around the enclosure.

Adding an SSD to your system internally is fairly easy depending on available ports on the motherboard and power supply.
Its as simple as plugging in a single data cable, a single power cable, and screwing the drive into its spot.
(and yes, you can have multiple SSDs in a system, you just tell your motherboard BIOS which one has the OS and thats it)

Reactions: DirtySZN
Solution

DirtySZN

Commendable
May 6, 2020

Okay, got it.
I know you would not know the available ports on the motherboard and psu without seeing in person, but do you think you can help me with choosing an affordable internal SSD as my second SSD based on my specs if you have time? Thanks!

Specifications of my current gaming PC:

AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 4-Core, 8-Thread 3.70GHz with Radeon RX Graphics Processor
AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 8GB Graphics Card
OLOy CL16 DDR4 RAM - 16GB(2x8GB) - 3000MHz
ASRock ATX Motherboard - B450 Pro4
SSD - Samsung 850 EVO M.2 - 250GB
HDD - Hitachi (HUS724020ALA640) 2TB Internal Hard Drive
PSU - ARESGAME 750W Power Supply Semi Modular 80+ Bronze
OS - Windows 10 Pro
Fans - (x6) GIM KB-28 RGB Case Fans - 120mm
Case - Rosewill ATX Mid Tower Gaming PC Computer Case - Prism S - Tempered Glass + White Steel

I can tell you right now you have plenty of ports, its only an issue with older boards that have 2-3 ports available.
As for affordable SSD, that would depend on the budget.
Crucial MX500, 860 EVO, etc in whatever capacity you want.

You dont need another M.2 drive, a standard SATA drive will be fast enough and save money. I also would not get one smaller than 500GB.

Reactions: DirtySZN

DirtySZN

Commendable
May 6, 2020
I can tell you right now you have plenty of ports, its only an issue with older boards that have 2-3 ports available.
As for affordable SSD, that would depend on the budget.
Crucial MX500, 860 EVO, etc in whatever capacity you want.

You dont need another M.2 drive, a standard SATA drive will be fast enough and save money. I also would not get one smaller than 500GB.
Sorry about the available ports thing, I guess I don’t know what I’m talking about since I’m new to this stuff so I apologize about that.

As far as which one to pick, that’s awesome news as I had no idea I could have 2 SSD’s in one PC.
Okay so I’ll probably pick whatever is most cost effective. Most likely the 860 EVO as thats what immediately pops on Amazon when I search for “internal SSD” haha, I appreciate it!