Internal HHD will not show in Disk Mgr

ElFubar

Reputable
Jun 19, 2016
I picked up a used WD 2TB Green Drive to use as storage in my PC. I have verified the drive works in an external dock via USB. But it's not working internally. Under Device Manager it shows up under Disk drives (WDC WD1001FALS-00E8B0), but not under Disk Manager. The steps I took so far are replacing the STAT cable, deleting the partition that originally came on it via the dock. (Note: It will show up in Disk Mgr with the dock.), And refreshing the IDE ATA/ATAPI controller. It also shows up in the BIOS.

Solution
I found a solution to my problem by using an old trick when my BIOS sees the drive, but Windows will not. After unplugging all the other drives (purely for safety reasons) I booted up the PC with the Windows disk and started to run through the installation process. Near the beginning of the installation where you configure the disk partition, I simply created a partition, then deleted it and exited the installation. I plugged my other drives back in and booted up normally. The drive now shows up in Disk Management and I’m able to initialize it. I don’t understand why this trick works, or whether or not unplugging the other drives had something to do with it. In the 4 or 5 times I’ve done this, I always unplugged the other drives out of...

ElFubar

Reputable
Jun 19, 2016
I found a solution to my problem by using an old trick when my BIOS sees the drive, but Windows will not. After unplugging all the other drives (purely for safety reasons) I booted up the PC with the Windows disk and started to run through the installation process. Near the beginning of the installation where you configure the disk partition, I simply created a partition, then deleted it and exited the installation. I plugged my other drives back in and booted up normally. The drive now shows up in Disk Management and I’m able to initialize it. I don’t understand why this trick works, or whether or not unplugging the other drives had something to do with it. In the 4 or 5 times I’ve done this, I always unplugged the other drives out of fear of deleting the wrong one.

On a side note, I forgot to note that is a Windows 10 Pro machine, and the Windows boot disk is Win7 Pro.

Solution