Internal to external data gone?

MA70Snowman

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Hello,
I have a 2TB HDD which I've been using as a shared network drive w/ tons of movies/photos/music. I recently had an overnight business venture. So I pulled the drive, and slapped it into an External enclosure I had, and plugged it into my laptop. After messing with drivers i got the drive to be recognized, but it showed up as "unallocated" and wanted me to format it before I could do anything,I finally gave up as I didn't want to jeapordize my data, and took it back home and plugged it back in as an internal on the original computer.. I now have the SAME issue.. any ideas?

Solution

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hello and Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

On your desktop, go to Disk Management, and in the lower graphical area, is your 2 TB HDD listed in a row below your system Disk 0, as Disk 1?
If so, report what is listed under the Disk Status area (Basic, etc) and below the dark blue band in the Volume Status area (VolumeName, DriveLetter etc)

If it's not recognized, go to Disk Manager to see if the OS sees the HDD, and at next boot, if the BIOS sees the internal 2TB drive on the Standard CMOS Settings page,k along with your other fixed drives.

MA70Snowman

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
John, thanks for the quick reply.
It is listed as Disk 2 (I have two other 400GB HDD aside from my Boot drive)
in the left block under disk 2 it reads
Basic
1863.02 GB

Then in the next area there's a "Black Bar" with 1863.02 then Unallocated below that.
It sees the drive as a NEW drive that needs to be formated, I have the option to format, but I don't want to loose the data (i have a ton of pictures that are irreplaceable, and my Backup drive of this data, is experiencing same problem but it's mounted in an external enclosure so I assume If I can fix this then the other can be fixed to.. or just format that and back up again. )

I ran Partition Find and mount on my Drive (Disk 2) and it found no partitions on the drive.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

Windows sees a standard Basic simple disk normally but you are correct a black band and 'Unallocated' means it does not have any partitions recognized. As you know that doesn't mean the data is not there. Don't try to write anything to this drive until you can get the partitions re-established or the data copied to a good partition. Did this HDD have just the one partition originally?
Go the the Aeseus web site and try the free version of Partition Master to see if it can re-establish the partition. If not they have another very good free application called Disk Recovery Wizard which may be able to copy all those files to a safe spot

Solution

MA70Snowman

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Holy ****!!! That worked like a champ. Saw the drive in under 5 seconds, and was recovered 10 seconds later, and now I'm backing up my photos like there was never a problem.. The longest part of the entire process was downloading the software.

LIFE saver John. Thanks.