Question Internal USB adapter assistance

Hello,

already purchased all these parts, and completely missed the internal I/O conflicts.
I'm having trouble identifying which specific adapters I need, and which ones would be best to go where. I'd rather the build have the higher speed for the type C header, but not that serious either way.

This is what it says;
  • A USB 2.0 to USB 3.2 Gen 1 header adapter is required.
  • A USB 3.2 Gen 1 to USB 3.2 Gen 2 header adapter is required.

Little help? Thanks

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,

already purchased all these parts, and completely missed the internal I/O conflicts.
I'm having trouble identifying which specific adapters I need, and which ones would be best to go where. I'd rather the build have the higher speed for the type C header, but not that serious either way.

This is what it says;

Little help? Thanks
Rather than guessing, get the parts in your hand. Assemble everything but the front panel USB ports, if they really are incompatible. THEN buy the adapters after you have seen exactly what you need.

Hello,

This is what it says;

Little help? Thanks
Well, its a low cost mini ITX board, so they didn't have room for and couldn't include the new standard USB 3.2 Gen 2 header. You can see that if you download and read the manual. As the diagram on page 4 indicates, you have 2 headers; 1 for usb 2; and 1 for usb 3.2 which the specs indicate is Gen 1. So if you want to connect the usb 3.2 header to a gen 2 type C port on the front of your case that would be the adapter you would need. Alternately, you could get a usb C extension cable and connect it to the usb C port on the back and tape the socket end to the front of your case or some convenient location.

Rather than guessing, get the parts in your hand. Assemble everything but the front panel USB ports, if they really are incompatible. THEN buy the adapters after you have seen exactly what you need.
No guessing involved, the motherboard has a USB 2.0 header and a USB 3.2 Gen 1 header.
The case has a 3.2 Gen 1 Header and a 3.2 Gen 2 Header

Makes no sense to wait till I have it lol

Well, its a low cost mini ITX board, so they didn't have room for and couldn't include the new standard USB 3.2 Gen 2 header. You can see that if you download and read the manual. As the diagram on page 4 indicates, you have 2 headers; 1 for usb 2; and 1 for usb 3.2 which the specs indicate is Gen 1. So if you want to connect the usb 3.2 header to a gen 2 type C port on the front of your case that would be the adapter you would need. Alternately, you could get a usb C extension cable and connect it to the usb C port on the back and tape the socket end to the front of your case or some convenient location.
I included the adapter requirements in my post lol.

My question is more which specific adapters I need. I see tons on amazon/newegg, I've no idea the price/quality ratio on these components I've never used them before.

Hoping these work;
vgNmrGP.png

Hoping these work;
vgNmrGP.png
There's no way of telling that these will definitely result in higher data transfer speeds until you install them and perform various data transfer speed tests. Since they state that "NOTE: Does not convert from 5GB/s to 10GB/s" and "The power from the USB 3.0 header on the motherboard has a power rating at 4.5W (0.9A x 5V). However, many USB-C devices can withdraw power up to 100W (20A x 5V). This may result in a power shut down to protect the motherboard and its components." they may not be worth the money and risk to your motherboard. Using the rear panel usb C port might be more prudent.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The current versions of USB have undergone several changes of name, but now ALL are called USB 3.2 Genn and the main differences between the three Gen's are the max data transfer speeds they can support. Gen1 is 5 Gb/s, Gen2 is 10, Gen2x2 is 20. NOTE that these are the max data transfer speeds possible, limited by the communications subsystem in the links. They are NOT the real speeds of the entire device attached. These are DESIGNED so that the specified max speed is supposed to be MORE than the real speed of data transfer, limited by the actual speed of data access of the device. That way the communications subsystem will never be the real limit. For example, among data storage devices there are NO mechanical hard drives (spinning disks and moving heads) that can exceed the 5 Gb/s data transfer rate because those mechanical components simply cannot move that fast. There are SOME non-mechanical SSD's that can access data a bit faster than 5, but none I have seen that can exceed 10 Gb/s. I have yet to see any device that can get close to 20 Gb/s. When such things will appear, and what purpose they serve, is yet to be seen.

The most common connectors for older USB 2 systems are those called Type A - rectangular shell with a BLACK plastic insert supporting FOUR contacts. The newer version of that Type A has a BLUE insert with the same four contact strips PLUS FIVE more contacts. This means you can plug either version of plug into either version of socket, but you get the USB 3.2 speed only if ALL of your items on that port - connectors, cables, and devices - are USB 3.2. Beyond that the newest connector system is the smaller Type C which carries the same connections as the Type A USB 3.2 system, but is much better at faster data transfer. So the strong recommendation is that Type A will work for Gen1 (5 Gb/s), it MIGHT work for Gen 2 (10 Gb/s) but you really should be using the Type C, and you MUST use Type C for Gen 2x2. Note that you CAN use USB 3.2 Type A connectors and sockets for any of those Gen's, but you will NOT get the max speeds - you may get only up to 5 Gb/s.

The basic USB 3.2 system specs say each USB 3.2 port can supply power at 5 VDC up to 0.9 A to connected devices. Many systems also can supply more power at other voltages and use some "smarts" to negotiate with the connected device and control that power, but these features are not part of the basic specs. Also be aware that there are many high-power "charging" systems that use USB 3.2 style connectors but are NOT full USB 3.2 ports.

Regarding connections from a mobo header to front- or rear-panel sockets, the external SOCKETS may be Type A or Type C, but the mobo headers come in three possibilities. The older USB 2 headers are relatively simple (10-1) pin male headers requiring a common connector and cable to reach an external socket. A different header is used for BOTH USB 3.2 Gen1 AND Gen2 - they differ only in the max speed available from the controller chip feeding them. So you can use the SAME cable from either of these headers to connect to external sockets. Normally in a case the front panel sockets - whether Type A or Type C - have cables permanently attached to them and ending on the other end with a connector that plugs into EITHER (Gen1 or Gen2) mobo header. The rating and performance of that resulting front panel socket depends on the rating of the mobo header, NOT on the connector or cable type, EXCEPT that a Type A socket may NOT deliver full 10 Gb/s capability. By the way, USB2 , USB 3.2 Gen1 and Gen 2 mobo headers all contain two actual ports so the connecting cables and sockets normally provide those two sockets per header.

For the fastest Gen 2x2 version of USB 3.2, the mobo header is surely different. A new header called Type E is used, and it contains only one port. So the cable from that to an external socket (and this WILL be only Type C) is different. NOTE, however, that I have seen mobos using the Type E header fed by a controller chip that does only Gen2 speeds, so that's what you would get at a front panel socket fed this way.

Since the speeds of the three Gen versions of USB 3.2 are set by the ratings of the controller chips for each mobo header, adapters cannot do anything to change this. They only can make it easy to connect from one system to another with no change of performance. Well, I guess if you down-convert from a USB 3.2 header to a USB 2 cable and external socket, you will get only USB 2 performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: dwd999
There's no way of telling that these will definitely result in higher data transfer speeds until you install them and perform various data transfer speed tests. Since they state that "NOTE: Does not convert from 5GB/s to 10GB/s" and "The power from the USB 3.0 header on the motherboard has a power rating at 4.5W (0.9A x 5V). However, many USB-C devices can withdraw power up to 100W (20A x 5V). This may result in a power shut down to protect the motherboard and its components." they may not be worth the money and risk to your motherboard. Using the rear panel usb C port might be more prudent.
Huh? I'm just looking to physically connect them, I'm not looking for a speed boost. I just want them to work at all.

The current versions of USB have undergone several changes of name, but now ALL are called USB 3.2 Genn and the main differences between the three Gen's are the max data transfer speeds they can support. Gen1 is 5 Gb/s, Gen2 is 10, Gen2x2 is 20. NOTE that these are the max data transfer speeds possible, limited by the communications subsystem in the links. They are NOT the real speeds of the entire device attached. These are DESIGNED so that the specified max speed is supposed to be MORE than the real speed of data transfer, limited by the actual speed of data access of the device. That way the communications subsystem will never be the real limit. For example, among data storage devices there are NO mechanical hard drives (spinning disks and moving heads) that can exceed the 5 Gb/s data transfer rate because those mechanical components simply cannot move that fast. There are SOME non-mechanical SSD's that can access data a bit faster than 5, but none I have seen that can exceed 10 Gb/s. I have yet to see any device that can get close to 20 Gb/s. When such things will appear, and what purpose they serve, is yet to be seen.

The most common connectors for older USB 2 systems are those called Type A - rectangular shell with a BLACK plastic insert supporting FOUR contacts. The newer version of that Type A has a BLUE insert with the same four contact strips PLUS FIVE more contacts. This means you can plug either version of plug into either version of socket, but you get the USB 3.2 speed only if ALL of your items on that port - connectors, cables, and devices - are USB 3.2. Beyond that the newest connector system is the smaller Type C which carries the same connections as the Type A USB 3.2 system, but is much better at faster data transfer. So the strong recommendation is that Type A will work for Gen1 (5 Gb/s), it MIGHT work for Gen 2 (10 Gb/s) but you really should be using the Type C, and you MUST use Type C for Gen 2x2. Note that you CAN use USB 3.2 Type A connectors and sockets for any of those Gen's, but you will NOT get the max speeds - you may get only up to 5 Gb/s.

The basic USB 3.2 system specs say each USB 3.2 port can supply power at 5 VDC up to 0.9 A to connected devices. Many systems also can supply more power at other voltages and use some "smarts" to negotiate with the connected device and control that power, but these features are not part of the basic specs. Also be aware that there are many high-power "charging" systems that use USB 3.2 style connectors but are NOT full USB 3.2 ports.

Regarding connections from a mobo header to front- or rear-panel sockets, the external SOCKETS may be Type A or Type C, but the mobo headers come in three possibilities. The older USB 2 headers are relatively simple (10-1) pin male headers requiring a common connector and cable to reach an external socket. A different header is used for BOTH USB 3.2 Gen1 AND Gen2 - they differ only in the max speed available from the controller chip feeding them. So you can use the SAME cable from either of these headers to connect to external sockets. Normally in a case the front panel sockets - whether Type A or Type C - have cables permanently attached to them and ending on the other end with a connector that plugs into EITHER (Gen1 or Gen2) mobo header. The rating and performance of that resulting front panel socket depends on the rating of the mobo header, NOT on the connector or cable type, EXCEPT that a Type A socket may NOT deliver full 10 Gb/s capability. By the way, USB2 , USB 3.2 Gen1 and Gen 2 mobo headers all contain two actual ports so the connecting cables and sockets normally provide those two sockets per header.

For the fastest Gen 2x2 version of USB 3.2, the mobo header is surely different. A new header called Type E is used, and it contains only one port. So the cable from that to an external socket (and this WILL be only Type C) is different. NOTE, however, that I have seen mobos using the Type E header fed by a controller chip that does only Gen2 speeds, so that's what you would get at a front panel socket fed this way.

Since the speeds of the three Gen versions of USB 3.2 are set by the ratings of the controller chips for each mobo header, adapters cannot do anything to change this. They only can make it easy to connect from one system to another with no change of performance. Well, I guess if you down-convert from a USB 3.2 header to a USB 2 cable and external socket, you will get only USB 2 performance.

Do you have any examples of high quality adapters that will work? That's all I was looking for.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
First, because of backwards compatibility design, you can always plug a USB 2 cable or device into a USB 3.2 port and it WILL work at the slow USB 2 speeds. But that is not a good use of those ports. To use older USB 2 devices, I suggest you use the USB 2 facilities of the mobo. However, like many boards of this design, there are NO older USB 2 sockets exposed on the rear panel. You can do what I did on my machine. Get a port adapter plate with TWO USB 2 ports on it like this

Mount that in an unused rear PCIe slot, and plug its two cables into the F_USB1 header of your mobo - see manual p. 20, key no. 14 and p. 14. This gives you two USB 2 sockets on your case back for use with older USB 2 devices.

There is NO reason to use any adapter to connect a mobo USB 2 header to any USB 3.2 Type A socket. For such sockets to function at the faster USB 3.2 speed you MUST connect it to a mobo header of that design.

There is NO adapter between Gen1 and Gen 2 versions of USB 3.2. They use the SAME connectors. The only difference is that we are told that using a USB 3.2 Type A socket and plug system may NOT perform at the fast Gen2 speed of 10 Gb/s max, but using the newer Type C socket / cable system will IF the mobo port is of the Gen2 design.

On your mobo there is ONE mobo header available to connect to external USB 3.2 sockets via a cable. This is what you use to connect the front panel sockets of your case to a mobo header, by plugging into that header the cable that is pre-connected to those front sockets. On your mobo, that is the F_U32 header (see p. 19, key no. 13 and p. 14). That header is Gen1 only, so it can be used to feed either Type A or Type C sockets on your front panel, but it will perform only at the Gen 1 speed of 5 Gb/s max. This header contains TWO ports, so you can feed two front sockets from it with one cable. Your case top front panel has three USB sockets on it. Two of these are Type A and labelled "USB 3.0", which now are called USB 3.2 Gen1 and are fed by ONE cable that goes to this mobo header. It also has a Type C socket labelled "USB 3.1 Gen 2", which is now called USB 3.2 Gen2. It is fed by a separate cable which ends in a Type E connector for that style of mobo header, and your mobo does NOT have such a header. Since the only mobo header you have already is going to be used for the two Type A sockets, you have no place to plug in this cable that feeds the Type C socket. IF you have a device with a cable ending in a Type C plug and want to plug it into a top front Type A socket, you can get an adapter like this

NOTE that this one specifies that it does work at the Gen1 USB 3.2 max speed of 5 Gb/s, and is NOT limited to the older USB2 specs.

That covers the mobo headers and how to use them for external sockets. Now look at the sockets pre-mounted in your mobo's rear panel. See manual p. 11 - 12. It has three USB 3.2 Gen1 sockets of Type A design (key no. c), plus another of these (key d) that can be used like the first three, but also is the particular port for use when updating the BIOS using the Q-Flash system and a USB 3.2 Gen1 memory stick. So you can plug ANY USB 3.2 device into any of these sockets and work at Gen1 speeds. Then it has two other sockets that are the USB 3.2 Gen2 faster (10 Gb/s max) version. But of these two, only item h is the Type C socket guaranteed to work at that speed, while item g is a Type A socket (red insert) that MAY work at that speed, or may work a bit slower. This does give you the possibility of using faster Gen 2 speeds with EITHER type of connector on the attached device's cable if you get such a device later. These last two sockets are the only ones your mobo provides at the faster Gen2 speeds. Again, you will NOT need any adapter to work with any of these rear sockets.

Last edited:
First, because of backwards compatibility design, you can always plug a USB 2 cable or device into a USB 3.2 port and it WILL work at the slow USB 2 speeds. But that is not a good use of those ports. To use older USB 2 devices, I suggest you use the USB 2 facilities of the mobo. However, like many boards of this design, there are NO older USB 2 sockets exposed on the rear panel. You can do what I did on my machine. Get a port adapter plate with TWO USB 2 ports on it like this

Mount that in an unused rear PCIe slot, and plug its two cables into the F_USB1 header of your mobo - see manual p. 20, key no. 14 and p. 14. This gives you two USB 2 sockets on your case back for use with older USB 2 devices.

There is NO reason to use any adapter to connect a mobo USB 2 header to any USB 3.2 Type A socket. For such sockets to function at the faster USB 3.2 speed you MUST connect it to a mobo header of that design.

There is NO adapter between Gen1 and Gen 2 versions of USB 3.2. They use the SAME connectors. The only difference is that we are told that using a USB 3.2 Type A socket and plug system may NOT perform at the fast Gen2 speed of 10 Gb/s max, but using the newer Type C socket / cable system will IF the mobo port is of the Gen2 design.

On your mobo there is ONE mobo header available to connect to external USB 3.2 sockets via a cable. This is what you use to connect the front panel sockets of your case to a mobo header, by plugging into that header the cable that is pre-connected to those front sockets. On your mobo, that is the F_U32 header (see p. 19, key no. 13 and p. 14). That header is Gen1 only, so it can be used to feed either Type A or Type C sockets on your front panel, but it will perform only at the Gen 1 speed of 5 Gb/s max. This header contains TWO ports, so you can feed two front sockets from it with one cable. Your case top front panel has three USB sockets on it. Two of these are Type A and labelled "USB 3.0", which now are called USB 3.2 Gen1 and are fed by ONE cable that goes to this mobo header. It also has a Type C socket labelled "USB 3.1 Gen 2", which is now called USB 3.2 Gen2. It is fed by a separate cable which ends in a Type E connector for that style of mobo header, and your mobo does NOT have such a header. Since the only mobo header you have already is going to be used for the two Type A sockets, you have no place to plug in this cable that feeds the Type C socket. IF you have a device with a cable ending in a Type C plug and want to plug it into a top front Type A socket, you can get an adapter like this

NOTE that this one specifies that it does work at the Gen1 USB 3.2 max speed of 5 Gb/s, and is NOT limited to the older USB2 specs.

That covers the mobo headers and how to use them for external sockets. Now look at the sockets pre-mounted in your mobo's rear panel. See manual p. 11 - 12. It has three USB 3.2 Gen1 sockets of Type A design (key no. c), plus another of these (key d) that can be used like the first three, but also is the particular port for use when updating the BIOS using the Q-Flash system and a USB 3.2 Gen1 memory stick. So you can plug ANY USB 3.2 device into any of these sockets and work at Gen1 speeds. Then it has two other sockets that are the USB 3.2 Gen2 faster (10 Gb/s max) version. But of these two, only item h is the Type C socket guaranteed to work at that speed, while item g is a Type A socket (red insert) that MAY work at that speed, or may work a bit slower. This does give you the possibility of using faster Gen 2 speeds with EITHER type of connector on the attached device's cable if you get such a device later. These last two sockets are the only ones your mobo provides at the faster Gen2 speeds. Again, you will NOT need any adapter to work with any of these rear sockets.

I don't think you're understanding my question. I will admit I didn't read your whole post, because most of what I read seemed irrelevant, and it was frustrating to read.

I'm well aware that my motherboard does not have the required header for my case type C, that's why I made this post. Adapters exist for USB type 2 to USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type C, I was looking for examples of those. Again, I do not care about the speed loss. For my devices that required true type C speeds I will just use the back port, but I still want the front port to even function as a connectable option.

This build is mini-ITX, there is zero room for additional PCI-E slot options.

I don't think you're understanding my question. I will admit I didn't read your whole post, because most of what I read seemed irrelevant, and it was frustrating to read.

I'm well aware that my motherboard does not have the required header for my case type C, that's why I made this post. Adapters exist for USB type 2 to USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type C, I was looking for examples of those. Again, I do not care about the speed loss. For my devices that required true type C speeds I will just use the back port, but I still want the front port to even function as a connectable option.

This build is mini-ITX, there is zero room for additional PCI-E slot options.
Maybe.
Adapter

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
For the specific adapter type you request, look at this to convert a Type C socket into a Type A socket

Although this gives you a USB 3.2 Type A socket, you CAN use that to plug in USB2 devices. The older device merely does not use the 5 extra contacts in a USB 3.2 Type A, and the process of negotiation when a device is plugged in ensures the Controller of that port will use only USB2 features.

Now, where you would plug in that adapter is in question. Your case has only two Type C sockets mounted. ONE of those is on the top front and is fed by a permanently-attached cable with a Type E connector on its end to fit into a mobo Type E header. You do NOT have one of those on your mobo, so this front socket is essentially useless to you. At the top front also you have two Type A USB 3.2 sockets being fed by a single cable that plugs into your mobo's only USB 3.2 Gen1 header. This makes them Gen1 sockets, BUT as I said above you CAN use either of those for any USB2 device, so already you have the front panel sockets you seek without using any adapter.

Your system's second Type C socket is on the rear mobo panel and it IS a USB 3.2 Gen2 socket. Again, you CAN plug any USB2 device in there (using this adapter) and it will work at USB 2 speeds. But bear in mind, again, that the rear panel also has four USB 3.2 Gen1 Type A sockets into which you CAN plug any USB2 device with NO need for an adapter. Additionally, there is a fifth Type A socket on the rear that is USB 3.2 Gen2 - same story for use with USB2.

In short, you have six USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type A (plus one Gen2) sockets on your system and ANY of them can be used without any adapter to plug in a USB2 device with a Type A plug. That plug does NOT need to be a USB 3.2 version of USB. Your only need for an adapter to plug in a USB2 Type A plug would be if you want to connect that to the one rear panel Type C USB 3.2 Gen2 socket.

For the other adapter type that converts a USB 3.2 Type A socket into a Type C socket, you would need this

I doubt you need that. You are VERY unlikely to have a Type C plug on a cable from a USB2 device. You might need one of these IF you ever find yourself with more than one device with a Type C plug and you want to connect it directly to a USB 3.2 Gen1 port, and not via a USB 3.2 Hub.