INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR Windows 10 Restart Loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

supersnicks123024

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
I upgraded to windows 10 this morning and after logging into my computer i am greeted with a blue screen saying that my computer needs to restart. This always happens about 1-2 minutes after i log in. 1-2 minutes is not enough to try to access any settings and do something about it. Is there any way to fix this? I am on a Lenovo y40 laptop that came installed with windows 8. There is no optical port so i cant insert a disk and go back to 8.

Solution
I have the same issue, after research and I tried this post below, it worked. (I laptop is Dell Inspiron 15 n5548):

"The problem is that during the Windows 10 installation, the computer installs the wrong graphics card driver. It installs the AMD Radeon R7 M265 driver instead of the M270.

Here are the steps to fix the issue.

1. As soon as the computer boots up, login, and then hit the Windows Key button and the X,

2. Go to "Device Manager"

3. Scroll to "Display Adapters / AMD Radeon R7 M265 / Driver/ Disable". This will stop the computer from rebooting.

4. To install the correct graphics driver, just hit "Update Driver" and have it "Search Automatically" for it.

Everything should run smoothly now!"

Good luck!
Hello supersnicks123024

Since your Windows 10 restarts within 1-2 minutes of booting, I think it would be best to use another computer to burn the Windows 10 ISO image to a DVD, boot the problematic computer using that bootable disc and open external command prompt. You can do so by following the steps given below:

> After booting the computer using the Windows 10 disc, click the Next button from the first screen that appears.

> From the next window, click Repair my computer from the bottom-left corner.

> From the opened Choose an option window, click Troubleshoot.

> From the Troubleshoot window, click Advanced options.

> From the Advanced options window, click Command Prompt.

> When the command window appears, type C: and press Enter.

> Once on the C: drive, type and execute the commands given in the first reply by Gloria in this link to resolve the issue.

Let me know if this helps and feel free to revert if further assistance is needed. Good Luck!!

Chypmonk

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015

I have the same problem, my laptop is a Toshiba P55T, If you get it figured out let us know and I will do the same.

Chypmonk

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015

Did all of this with no luck. Not Sure what to do other then reload Windows 8.1 back onto my laptop.

Venimuslysound

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
I also have a lenovo y40. With the two minutes I had until the system crash I hit "windows+r" then typed "msconfig" then went to "boot" tab then enabled "safeboot" in "minimal" setting then hit apply and then ok. Restart option is given but it doesn't matter. You will get the blue screen again, but it will restart in safe mode. Then do the above

Kurtthewurt

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015

When you say above, which fix are you referring to?

Venimuslysound

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015
The hibernation settings were what I was originally referring to. After that (while still in safe mode) get into your device configuration and DISABLE the AMD driver. Windows installed their own and that is what is screwing everything up and giving the blue screen. So after you disable it hold windows and press "r" . "MSCONFIG" should already be there, as you had to type it to get to safe mode. Then disable safe mode and restart. When your computer restarts go to the LENOVO website and go into the "support and download" tab. From there install the AMD display driver software. While this is downloading go into your C drive and delete the AMD file. The files you are downloading will be under "program files" and not just "C"

vinayaketx

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013

Similarly, I just installed new windows 10 update from official servers. But later then my PC got stuck in boot loop. Get restarted every-time I reboot my PC, even I was not able to check my updated OS version.

But from this page, I got solved my error: Its all about drivers and library files... check out:
Boot Or Restart Loop Error After Update To Windows 10 [SOLVED]

mtchll31

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
try going into device manager and disabling your gpu under display adapters, (right click on the windows button), this has stopped the bsod for me but i can't get u proper fix yet.

German Galvan

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015

1 After login, go fast to START and do a right click.
2 Choose Device Manager
3 right click in ATI video card and disable it (After this point , Windows will not crash)
4 Remove / Uninstall ATI Drivers
5 Go back to Device Manager and right click in ATI video card, again
6 Choose Update driver
7 Enjoy Windows 10
8 Sorry about my english

bill-b

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015

My P55 kept blue screening over and over on Windows 10 upgrade. Just got the laptop beginning of the month and not been impressed with its 4K performance and speed for a quad core i7 and 16GB of ram. So when I got the notice to update to Windows 10I jumped.

Everything went great till the initial start and it just about just when done loading all the icons and was looking at the new desktop the blue screen of death and Internal_Power_Error! As posted in threads nothing was working. Dam thing does not give you enough time to do much and safe mode was not cutting it.

Solution for me was simple. I put in Kubuntu 15.04 goodbye Windows! Typing this now on the Satellite. Running great and what I would expect from the hardware on this system to do.

Sure not the answer some are you are not looking for but I just got so dam frustrated!

varma rakesh

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR Windows 10 Restart Loop:
firstly want to go to the my computer and right click to properties,
then go to device manager ,
and disable the video graphic driver(AMD) ,
and uninstall the disable graphic driver .
Then next the download the suitable Graphic Driver,
and install the Driver and enable to it,
feel & enjoy the windows 10;
THIS SOLUTION CAN HELPFUL FOR ALL THE LAPTOPS;
WHO ARE HAVING THE INTERNAL POWER ERROR

qle

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
I have the same issue, after research and I tried this post below, it worked. (I laptop is Dell Inspiron 15 n5548):

"The problem is that during the Windows 10 installation, the computer installs the wrong graphics card driver. It installs the AMD Radeon R7 M265 driver instead of the M270.

Here are the steps to fix the issue.

1. As soon as the computer boots up, login, and then hit the Windows Key button and the X,

2. Go to "Device Manager"

3. Scroll to "Display Adapters / AMD Radeon R7 M265 / Driver/ Disable". This will stop the computer from rebooting.

4. To install the correct graphics driver, just hit "Update Driver" and have it "Search Automatically" for it.

Everything should run smoothly now!"

Good luck!

Solution

rmmillertime

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015

I am also having the exact same issue on my p55t. I have been on hold with microsoft for the last hour. Hopefully they have some kind of solution for me.

I booted in safe mode and uninstalled all of my network/display drivers and it fixed all of my problems for about 7 hours yesterday then while i was trying to trouble shoot why my xbox app wasnt working it started doing it again. Now it takes me roughly 25 min and 6 reboots for me to get it to stay on long enought to get it into safe mode. Now just trying to figure anything out. This thing is basically a new laptop that is now useless. I am going crazy over here hearing how great windows 10 is on this hour long hold line for customer support. Let me know if you find a solution!

geeth772663

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015

I also have same problem and I have y40-80 lenovo laptop

geeth772663

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015

this does work it kept my laptop on!

sbg97

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015

I seem to have the exact same problem. I just started my y40 in an area where it doesn't know any of the internet connections and it stopped crashing. It then complained the AMD graphics driver wasn't installed correctly. This could be the problem. I still haven't fixed it though.

Roark_23

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

This worked for me. Thank you!

paullewis

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
I also have a Toshiba P55T and am starting to have the same issues. Anyone figured out a fix yet?

Dougaj4

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
Thanks qle, I had the same problem with a Toshiba Satellite and your procedure looks like it saved me from a tedious and frustrating time.

A couple of points that might help others:
To get to the device manager, hold down the windows key and tap x.
When I search for the updated AMD driver it says I already have the latest installed. I have left it switched off, and the machine seems quite happy using the Intel driver also listed.

This procedure might not work for everyone, but it is very quick and is certainly worth trying.

Tiroba

Reputable
Aug 1, 2015

I installed Win 10 on the same laptop as you and had the same problem as you. After hours of working on the damn thing I decided to cut my losses and recover my old version (8.1) of windows. You have to be quick, before it crashes, but it is possible to go into settings > security & updates > recovery > etc. It crashed while recovering, but on restart it commenced the restore of Win 8.1.

I've read that AMD driver and Catalyst Control Centre updates may fix the crash problem, so you could do that and try reinstalling 10. I've lost confidence so I won't be doing so.

I have no idea why MS decides to tell people that their devices are suitable for upgrades when plainly they are not. If MS weren't so damn slack we wouldn't have to waste hours of our valuable time trying to recover from their errors.

Dougaj4

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015

Did you try disabling the AMD driver? My machine is working is working fine with Windows 10 after disabling the AMD driver from Device Manager.

maxsmith77

Reputable
Aug 3, 2015
""basically what it says there is that the problem is caused by your graphics card. By killing the processes mentioned in that thread, the failure can be averted, allowing you to update the drivers for the graphics card and prevent further trouble.[/quotemsg]""

Agreed, though I have seen elsewhere in other forums that it has to do with the PC's hibernation dump file size limitations. I was leery about that answer since I don't use hibernate and have it completely disabled. What's more is that I see a majority of users that are experiencing this specific issue on their laptops (hence the hibernation issue?), however I am running a Dell Inspiron One 2330 (all-in-one touchscreen desktop PC) that I ordered a little under two years ago with top-notch upgrades, to include an AMD graphics card (can't remember the specs at the moment). Since day-one we have gotten messages after startup that "Catalyst Control Center.exe has failed" which I only later on found out was ancillary software for AMD's card. The computer had been running fine without ever needing to reboot, all I had to do was click "okay" on the dialog box and carry on with whatever I was in the middle of. Now, with Window 10, instead of a dialog box I get the BSOD with the message indicated in this thread.
NOTE: I have tried to update the AMD drivers many times and have sought a fix for the CCC.exe issue for more than a year now to no avail. Even with the release of Win10 there are still no answers to this dilemma. As advised, I killed the AMD processes in TaskMan and have not experienced any issues yet with the latest boot - while this family PC is "always on," it occasionally needs to reboot for security pack installs thus pushing my patience to the limit with only a temporary fix that has to be done with each boot... Both AMD and Microsoft have yet to provide viable fixes, pointing the finger at each other like petulant children. Dell is the unwitting parent that wants to stay the hell out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.