internet access though the linksys WRT54g router

Amazonian

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
I have a dsl modem which works fine when connected straight to the computer. I also have the linksys router, which I have configured for wireless reception, for other computers. They connect fine to the router. The problem is, the internet won't work when going though the router. I have put in the isp PPPoE user name and password, and it still won't work. What might I still lack?

bleijendeckers

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
Did you plug the dsl modem in the right connection on the wireless router (access point)? It generally has multiple slots but one or two should be different from the rest. This is because the modem is on a different network then your home computers, and it uses a specific port for it (generally marked as WAN).

Amazonian

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

Yes, I did plug it into the slot called "internet". Does it matter which port you use going from the router to the computers?

bleijendeckers

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
As you tried the modem straight in the computer we know there is an active internet connection.

As you can connect to the router we know that that works, so it has to be the configuration.
What you might check additionally, when you check networking functionality can you see the other computers on the network? Just another check to make sure the networking trough the access point is active.

One possible solution could be to reset the router and re-enter all data. You can do this by pressing the reset button on the back for 30 seconds, the router will be set at factory default.

What we can do (this is the full Cisco/Linksys dsl internet activation proceudre):

TIP It might be helpful trying this with your computer wired to the router (not the modem) and not using the wireless functionality as of yet. After you get internet you can go to wireless. At least, if you have a spare ethernet cable lying around.

<accessing the configuration menu>
1) Open an internet browser
2) Go to your routers configuration page (for linksys this is usually 192.168.1.1, you can change it however and then you need to use the changed IP)
Note: If this does not work but you can enter the configuration screen at 192.168.2.1 go directly to step 12
3) Login (base login means leaving the username empty and using the password 'admin'

<change the local IP (this is a Cisco recommendation as for dsl connections they do not use their standard IP)>
4) Go to the menu 'Setup'--> 'Basic setup' and change the local IP to 192.168.2.1
5) Click on 'save settings'
6) Close the browser window

<release and renew your pc IP address so it can reconnect, the old IP is now invalid>
7) Press the windows key and the R key simultaneously
8) Enter 'cmd' in the run box that appears and press enter
9) In the shell that appears type 'ipconfig/release'
10) The next command should be 'ipconfig/renew'

<reopen the configuration screen>
11) Open your browser window and go to the router configuration page on 192.168.2.1
12) Go to the menu 'Status' --> 'Router'
13) Check the field that says IP address, if it says 0.0.0.0 then first click 'DHCP release' and then click 'DHCP renew'

<if internet does not yet work (or the IP field still says 0.0.0.0, because it will not work then) we will check the PPPoE settings)>
14) Go to the menu 'Setup' --> 'Basic setup'
15) At internet connection type it should say 'PPPoE'
16) Username and password should be provided by the Internet Service Provider
Note: The username might be only your username OR username@ISP.xx (meaning you might have to add the ISP domain after the username AND xx not being xx ofcourse but the top level domain used by your ISP like .net or .co.uk
17) The button should mark 'keep alive', redial period 30 seconds (at least that is what the cisco support site has in its own window)
18) Click 'save settings'

<now we check the connection again>
19) Go to the field 'Status' --> 'Router'
20) After the field 'login status' it should say connected
21) If it says disconnected click the 'connect' button

If you get an error message you can post the error message and we can check what we can do with that.

bleijendeckers

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
Additionally, if you get an error there should be 4 possibilities.

Error 1, PPPoE authentication error, your username/password is invalid (you will not get internet trough these credentials)
<Check for example that the @isp.net part is added to the username

Error 2, PPPoE LCP handling error, this one I cannot really comment on
<The solution according to linksys should be the same as with error 1>

Error 3, Cannon connect to PPPoE server
<this should not happen as you do have internet when you are plugged in directly modem to pc, if it does happen pull all plugs (modem and router) from the power socket and wait 30 seconds. Replug the modem and wait until all lights blink. Plug in the router and try again>

Error 4, Cannot get an IP from the PPPoE server
<the PPPoE server got your connection request but did not give you a public IP address (which you need to communicate with the internet). This also means unplugging everything just as with error 3.

Amazonian

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

I'll check this out tomorrow and let you know. Thanks,

Amazonian

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

Hi, bleijendeckers,
I followed all of your instructions, including the change of IP address. At the end, I received the message 4, 'Cannot get IP address from PPPoE Server. So I changed it back to DHCP Automatic configuration, and it still would not work. Finally, I followed the instructions for solution to number 3 and 4, unplugging everything for 30 seconds. Whereas, I had done that before (when I had the old IP address - 192.168.1.1) and it had never worked before, this time, upon restarting everything, it finally kicked in. Problem solved for now. Thanks for the help, and have a great day. God loves you, I hope you know Him.

ashwin95

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013

even i have the same problem and i tried everything u said earlier....twice...still no help
can u plese help me?
i always get error 4

hubbardd

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016

Hi, I'm trying to get wireless/wired internet working on a linksys wrt54gs router. I have the same problem... I can get internet when plugged into my modem (DSL), but not while plugged directly into my router via an etherrnet cable. I tried everything listed above and haven't been able to figure it out. Even when I tried the extra tip of going back to DHCP automatic and trying to power cycle the modem and router again. That didn't work as well. If I can't figure this out my only option is to get a new router so any help would be great.