Internet based question

Onixom

Prominent
May 5, 2017
So I have a motherboard that has On-board LAN. I can't really get the Ethernet cable to reach (Different room altogether). So am I able to buy a "Wireless network adapter" and install it without the On-board LAN conflicting?

Currently my Build is https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/7w2QvV (Not sure on the case make. and the power supply is "g7 power extreme 780w")

Thinking about getting the Asus - PCE-N10 PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Solution

pastit

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
It depends on what distance you want to use the wi-fi over and intervening walls.
I use powerline, it's probably cheaper to buy a kit and seems quick enough and reliable.
I have the whole house set up using them, and 3 different brands all work together OK. I used to have the house networked untill mice chewed the cables in the roof.
JB
JB

"So am I able to buy a "Wireless network adapter" and install it without the On-board LAN conflicting?"

No worries, WiFi & LAN adapters won't conflict, after all, almost every laptop has both on-board as standard, it's no different having both on a desktop PC motherboard.