Internet being capped at 130mbps by something

Jake_134

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
I am losing the will to live.

I updated my internet speed with Virgin from Vivid 100 to Vivid 200. They said I could get on average 212mbps.

My laptop was struggling to get over 130mbps after the update (I got 110mbps before I upgraded) so I decided to reset it after the Virgin man had been and fixed a wiring issue.

Anyway, I reset the computer and bam, 220mbps. However my joy was short lived as after I restarted my computer, the speed went back down to 130mbps.

I did a few things after googling and it only went back up after resetting the computer again.

On Saturday (just been) I figured it may be bullguard so decided to reset and not install. All was good but once again short lived. Today (Monday) in the morning everything was fine (220mbps) but about 2 hours ago I spotted that the speed had capped at 130mbps again.

I am getting fed up with this and need some expert advice. I am not very good at computers (only self taught) and have tried resetting and uninstalling various programmes that appeared today with no luck.

Just to advise, this has all been done on WiFI so please do not say connect to ethernet as I can get 220mbps on the wifi alone.

Hardware can accept 1gbps according to the status (when virgin had a go at fixing) so the device shouldn't be a problem.

The router is a Virgin V6 box but they are 100% happy the box is not the problem.

To be fair my GF iphone is getting 220mbps constantly so the final conclusion that I could find is that it IS the laptop and it IS something that installs itself after i reset.

Could it be asus live update?

The list of apps downloading when I reset the laptop. I have since done this again and the speed is being capped AGAIN at 130mbps!!! I haven't installed anything and the only thing I know for sure updated is Live update.

Asus Live Update
Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x64) - 11.0.61030
Intel Graphics Driver
WildTangent Games App
Intel Dynamic PLatform and Thermal Framework
Intel Watchdog Timer Driver
Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable (x86) - 11.0.61030
Intel PROSet/Wireless Software
Webstorage
WPS Office for Asus
GameFirst IV (this updated via Asus Live)
Intel Watchdog Time Driver
Microsoft One Drive
Intel Serial IO
Intel Management Engine Components
Conexant HD Audio
Windows Driver Package - Asus (Asus SGDRV) Mouse

Jake_134

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
It's not the wifi 110% sure ita software on my computer. Why would it work for 2 days and everytime I reset the computer?

As soon as I restart the first time after a reset it goes back to cap 130mbps.

In the gamefirst IV i spotted max speed 130mbps so I have uninstalled before it even updated, still capped at 130mbps!!!!

Jake_134

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
I've checked it plugged in 2 minutes ago. Also capped at 130 just so everyone knows I am not making it up.

Literally everytime i reset laptop it works at 220mbps only going down to 130mbps after a laptop restart. It's something booting up it has to be.

Jake_134

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
I think its came first iv that was blocking the speed. I've done a full reboot and it has game 3 on....when game iv was on it updated straight away and even deleting it didn't help (too late?) Will keep an eye on this

Currently running 220mbps

Jake_134

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
Left the computer on over night to install Steam, back down to 130mbps! Will have to reboot again. I think something is updating. How do I stop all updates from happening?

run malware bytes make sure you dont have malware using some of your speed. on your router log in make sure you dont have leachers using your bandwith. on the intel ethernet chipset download the newest driver from intel. uninstall the old driver and software on reinstall just reinstall the driver and not the full intel software. on some pc people have had the intel control software for ethernet act like a malware and slow there pc down. also make sure amd and nvidia experoance is uninstalled it acts like malware. use msconfig turn everything off but your anti virus see if the speeds go up.

Jake_134

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
Right final solution. I have completely reinstalled Windows. The only apps on my deaktop are edge and recycling bin. Seems to have worked, finally. It just shows what crap they preinstall on your laptops. I didn't even notice until i upgraded to a faster package. Absolute joke. Best get reinstalling steam.....