Question Internet connection doesn't disconnect, but drops/freezes

Nov 8, 2020
Update: Fixed?
ISP had to do something on their end. Seems to be okay now

Got a new ISP the other day and my first time using fiber optics. Went from an average of 60 down, 10 up to 250 down, 100 up.

So far so good, except when it comes to online gaming about once every 10 minutes or so the game connection freezes for a good 5 seconds then returns to normal.

In game example: World of Warcraft. I'll fight something, then nothing moves. I can see the input of my key presses trying to activate an ability and I'm able to move around while the world around me is still, then everything that has been done all hits me at once and I can continue playing as normal. This issue does not occur only for games. Something simple like clicking on a youtube video will cause this moment of freeze and everything else does work. I even downloaded games to test it and I can see it download at a steady pace, then drop and tell me the download would've taken an hour but now it's going to take 14 weeks, then returns to normal

I have watched my network graphs through wireless on my desktop and through a direct connection using a separate laptop and those dips in connection happen on a laptop as well.

This ISP was installed 3 days ago. The first day was the worst which gave me disconnects per dip, the second day ran quite a bit better with some disconnects, and today is even better than yesterday, but the dips are still there and only freeze me up.

Things I have tried:
power cycling, updating/reinstalling drivers, using another router, disabling firewalls, qos, DMZ, static ip, and more I probably can't think of since I've been doing this for 3 days now.

I will be finally calling my ISP when their offices do open, but I want to understand what possible issues this could be and if and why my ISP is the only one who could fix it

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2020
Last edited: