[SOLVED] Internet connection dropping when downloading.

Dec 8, 2020
I own a prebuilt asus desktop which I rebuilt again to a newer case and I'm always connected to the ethernet cable as I took the wifi card out. I've never had this problem until recently, when I formatted my C: drive because it was cluttered and almost always full so i'd get errors that there's no more space.
The main problem is when I'm in a call with my friends or doing internet things, then I download games or anything large(from what I noticed) when the download speed ramps up to around 20mbp/s++ i'd loose connection for 5-10 seconds downloads stop, voice calls are cut off, though the status bar says i'm connected and anything else wirelessly connected still gets connection, except my computer. Gaming is fine, and never got disconnected only when downloading. Is it a software issue since it only happened after I formatted? I've tried reinstalling drivers, removing my static ip and dns server addresses.
What can I do to so I don't loose connection

PC: Asus G11CB

Last edited:
Solution
You need to do some more testing to be sure no other device is affected. This is a common symptom of a internet connection that is taking errors. As you increase the load it gets more and more errors and finally resets.

If you really think it is your pc I would try a linux usb boot image. This would let you run tests without hurting your windows install. It should show you if the hardware is ok. It does not touch the disk drive though so if that is somehow the problem it would not show. Linux running fine would mean it is something like a driver causing this. Maybe you got a differnet one when you reinstalled windows.

The event monitor in win10 should show you any serious issues with your machine, it will show if you...
You need to do some more testing to be sure no other device is affected. This is a common symptom of a internet connection that is taking errors. As you increase the load it gets more and more errors and finally resets.

If you really think it is your pc I would try a linux usb boot image. This would let you run tests without hurting your windows install. It should show you if the hardware is ok. It does not touch the disk drive though so if that is somehow the problem it would not show. Linux running fine would mean it is something like a driver causing this. Maybe you got a differnet one when you reinstalled windows.

The event monitor in win10 should show you any serious issues with your machine, it will show if you are getting actual disk errors.

Solution
Dec 8, 2020

The event monitor in win10 should show you any serious issues with your machine, it will show if you are getting actual disk errors.

So after checking Event Viewer and looking at the drivers, even thought it said that it's "The latest driver installed" I went on to Realtek's website to update it manually with a much newer driver for my network adapter. Now after testing continuous pings and downloading, it doesn't drop anymore. Thanks!