[SOLVED] Internet connection drops when connected to router.

Aug 18, 2020
My mom has an old Dell T3400 desktop that was connected to a Belkin router for years with no major issues, until a few days ago. Wifi dropped and the light on the router was solid orange instead of blue. Called Belkin tech support and after doing the troubleshooting, it was defective. Bought a Netgear router and it pretty much did the same thing. I returned it and now have a Linksys EA7250 wifi router that connects to the internet, but discinnects after a few minutes. The ethernet cable connection from the PC to the router drops and when I'm logged into the router, it shows on screen that the router is not found. I haven't changed any settings to the computer. Even had Suddenlink come out and they gave her a new modem. Also fixed the coax cable and splitter. They checked out everything and all the settings are correct. Internet works perfectly and fast when connected directly into the modem. Any suggestions on how to fix this issue? I've basically done all the steps I could find when searching Google and on this site. I get it working again after unplugging router and plugging it back in, but I can't keep doing that every couple minutes. Router came with latest firmware installed. Did the ip release and renew from command prompt and all. I'm out of ideas. Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance..

Solution
Perhaps an IP address conflict.

Present connection path:

IPS (Suddenlink) ----> New Arris modem----> Router (Belkin works, Linksys fails) ---> Your PC

also Dish ----> Sling ---> Dish DVR ----> Router

[Edit and correct paths as necessary).

Dish information/reference:

https://www.dish.com/support/get-connected/docs/getconnected-printable-instructions.pdf

And when the Dish DVR is plugged into the Router connectivity is lost - is that true for both routers? As I understand the Belkin is okay but the Linksys is not,

Try to get the Arris modem model.

Make and model Dish DVR.

Two more pieces of information:

When each router is in use look for the admin pages showing connected network devices. With and without the DVR...
Aug 18, 2020
Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
(C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig\all
The system cannot find the path specified.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : house
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-22-19-2E-46-E2
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.188
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, August 18, 2020 12:49:03 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, August 19, 2020 12:49:03 PM

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

Aug 18, 2020
Don't ask me how this worked, but I tried my Belkin router after I couldn't get the Linksys to connect. PC said limited or no connectivity. I hooked up the Belkin and it's actually working. It disconnected when I connected the ethernet cable that connects the wifi thing for Dish. Mom has an older Dish DVR that gets signal from the small Sling that's plugged into the wall outlet in her office that's connected to the router.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Perhaps an IP address conflict.

Present connection path:

IPS (Suddenlink) ----> New Arris modem----> Router (Belkin works, Linksys fails) ---> Your PC

also Dish ----> Sling ---> Dish DVR ----> Router

[Edit and correct paths as necessary).

Dish information/reference:

https://www.dish.com/support/get-connected/docs/getconnected-printable-instructions.pdf

And when the Dish DVR is plugged into the Router connectivity is lost - is that true for both routers? As I understand the Belkin is okay but the Linksys is not,

Try to get the Arris modem model.

Make and model Dish DVR.

Two more pieces of information:

When each router is in use look for the admin pages showing connected network devices. With and without the DVR connected.

Likewise run "arp -a" via the command prompt on your PC in both setups.

What we are looking for is a duplicate IP address.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS