Internet connection keeps dropping out.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jamesey

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
Hello all,

I've been trawling the web in hopes of finding a solution to my problem, but alas, to no avail. I have decided to make my own thread to try and get this sorted.

The problem.

I used to have a Netgear DG834 but after experiencing the following problem, I got my parents old Netgear DGN2200, again, to no avail.

A while ago, I started having problems with my internet connection. It drops out for maybe 30 seconds, and then reconnects, but, sometimes it drops out and requires a reboot through the 192.168 etc or pushing the power button off and on before it will reconnect. It happens no matter what, but seems to be exacerbated by having many devices connected at a time. I have tried changing the router wireless channel, and have also checked what wireless signals are in the airwaves but there is little to no interference, and none on the wireless channel my router is using.

Could my digital radio be the problem? It is positioned quite close to the router, but the dropouts happen regardless of whether it is on or off. I have moved the router around my house, away from all possible places interference could occur. I have changed the splitter, and also the wire running from the splitter into the router. I have also moved my router to the phone socket where the phone line where it comes into the house to rule out faulty wiring. I can post pics of the router config GUI when I get home, can't access it from work RN.

It occurs roughly every 10 minutes or so, but it varies and I have seen it happen within a few minutes of the first occurrence. The lights on the old router that signified internet connection went orange before going green again after about 30 seconds. I never had to power cycle the old router, that is a problem with the new router. My download speeds are typical of england, 450 600 kbs down, 100 - 150 up at peak times. All my neighbors get the same speed, and fibre has not been rolled out and according to the BT website, it wont be anytime soon. My next door neighbor has the same speeds, but has never experienced a drop out while I play with him on bf3 etc.

At any one time, there can be various devices connected. There are 3 ps3s in my house, 3 iphones, 2 android phones, a blackberry, 2 amazon kindles, 3 laptops. (My parents and my two brothers). I have never had all connected at once, but usually, there will be at least 2 phones, 1, 2 or all of the ps3s, at least one laptop, maybe 2, never 3 connected all at once. So maybe between 3 - 6 devices at any one time, with constant dropouts every 10 minutes, maybe more, maybe less, and the length of time the dropouts last for is varied, but more recently after getting the new router, I sometimes need to power cycle the router to get it back working.

This is literally driving me nuts, could it just be a case of needing a better router? I've always dismissed that general "Oh you're having trouble? throw money @ problem to fix" advice, but this once I'll listen if that is the case.

Any help at all will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

James

----------

EDIT

----------

The issue seems to have been fixed. BT upgraded the connection, we got sent out a letter, now we get 700 KBs down! Marvelous! However, it wasn't until I ran a new wire from the master phone box where the line comes in that I fixed it. Faulty wiring it would seem after all. My house is only 25 Years old, but still, to anyone who has this issue with DNS desync, it seems to be fixable by getting a new master line box and running a wire directly from that to the router, and also dont connect a phone to the same splitter.

Solution
Either you have dysfunctional wires on the house either is problem with your internet provider. Try contact them.

I had a similar issue. Random disconnections and sometimes tend to happened very often. Tried many things like you did and nothing worked.I figured out that the cables on the outlet where messed up due to a water leak from the upstairs neighbor.

I changed it to a new outlet of the house which was in different cables and the connection got a little more stable but not much better.

After contacting my internet provider, they sent a technician and he told me that it most likely problem from the provider. Currently im in the processes of changing internet provider.

Romanticapped

Honorable
Feb 16, 2013
Cheers bud, I've been looking at the logs for the router and the recurring message is a dns down message. What you say makes sense though, I'll give th a ring tomorrow and find out. Ill post the results back here
[/quotemsg]

I have a similar issue, the problem seems to be different security types between the devices, the wifi router uses the older and the Modem uses newer encryption so this sometimes causes a conflict, the older wifi does not support WPS or encoding so sometimes the signal drops. Make sure both devices are set to use the same type of security and see if that helps.

srobin

Reputable
Apr 4, 2015
I have a similar issue. I am with suddenlink and using their modem/router. My computer seems to cause this issue where my wife's computer doesn't. I had the IP replace the box, but it began doing the same thing. I am looking into virus and malware issues, but haven't found a thing, have run scan after scan, rebooted modem, changed dns servers, shut off firewall.

Set up an event trigger to see when I loose DNS. loosing dns is always the first part of the problem, then the modem will reboot itself. Sometimes this happens 10 or 12 times a day, and other times once or twice.

The solution given here is no solution. I'll keep checking in, I'm sure someone has found the issue.