Internet connection when wired to modem, none through router, but able to access within my network

Mike Edinger

Honorable
Aug 9, 2013
Hello all,
My modem is a Motorola Surfboard SB6121. Router is a Netgear WNDR3700v3

When my desktop is wired to my router, the internet is almost non-existent. When I wire it directly to the modem, everything is fine. It makes sense then that the router is the culprit.

However, I am able to access other things within my network, like connecting to my samba shares and streaming video from them. I can do this from my desktop, my HTPC (wireless) and my phone (wifi), but neither device has internet access.

I've tried two other ethernet cables to connect the modem and router and that didn't solve the probelm. Is there anything else i can try?

My router is pretty old. I've had it for two years and it was a hand me down, so it's entirely possible that it's pooped the bed and I need a new one; I'd just like to try other things first.

Mike Edinger

Honorable
Aug 9, 2013

Sorry, I don't really know what that means. I don't know if Netgear is doing NAT or if one of the computers is. The Moto only has one LAN port, and it's connected directly to the Netgear's modem input port. My desktop and home server are connected to the Netgear directly, while my HTPC (and phone) use WiFI.

EDIT: I tried connecting the MOTO to the router through one of the LAN ports and there was no internet connection at all.

I was also able to find an old router and connect it; I have both wired and wireless connectivity. Unless there's some weird networking thing I don't know about (which is entirely possible), I'm going to assume the router is dying, especially since I did nothing to change the network settings.