[SOLVED] Internet difficulties during game

Jul 8, 2021
Hey!
I am Patryk. I have 400/40 fiber optic internet with no jumping ping to any server and 0%loss also stable +300fps. My internet connection is terrible when i play around evening the game is unplayable enemies popping up like with delay on my screen also feel like my keyboard is slower than my mouse so my movement is ****

[Moderator edit to remove profanity. Remember that Tom's is a family friendly forum.]

All the problems seems to disapear late at night. Offline in game I don't have any problems like this. Pingplotter don't help since it do not show any problems

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
What you might try to do is run ping plotter on a different machine while you run the game. You might try it in the background of the same machine but the extra cpu etc may affect the game.

What I am wondering is does the small amount of traffic the game is using constantly cause issues that you can't see when only pingplotter is running.

In general time of day issues are related to too many people competing for some resource. The most common one would be too many of your neighbors watching netflix at night at overloading the ISP segment to your house. Your pingplot should show this.
Unfortunately it could be something different about the path to google and to the game company isp/server. You could try pingplot to some IP...
What you might try to do is run ping plotter on a different machine while you run the game. You might try it in the background of the same machine but the extra cpu etc may affect the game.

What I am wondering is does the small amount of traffic the game is using constantly cause issues that you can't see when only pingplotter is running.

In general time of day issues are related to too many people competing for some resource. The most common one would be too many of your neighbors watching netflix at night at overloading the ISP segment to your house. Your pingplot should show this.
Unfortunately it could be something different about the path to google and to the game company isp/server. You could try pingplot to some IP related to the games. This can be tricky because many game servers are designed to not respond to pingplot to avoid denial of service attacks.
The other problem is if the problem is some overloaded circuit in the game company ISP you can't really fix it. It could also be the game servers themselves have too many people on them at the times you are having issue.

Not sure what to suggest. The only things you can actually get fixed are things you control in your house and to some extent the connection between your house and your ISP. So far pingplotter is saying those are fine. The first step though is to run more tests to try to find a tool that will show
the problem rather than just some "lag in game" which all ISP will blame the game company for and the game company will blame the ISP. You could try normal constant ping in background windows to various addresses. That tends to be easier to let run all the time that messing with pingplotter.

Solution
As mentioned by bill001g ... the number of people using the internet in your home will effect what you do , if i use an online game at the same time as she is watching catch up tv on the laptop she says the videos sometimes stutter.

One other thing , are all your devices locked to your internet hub with a keycode , these are used to stop others close by finding and stealing your connection without you knowing and that will also effect your performance

Jul 8, 2021
First of all i appreciate for help i have struggle with the problem for such a long time
what i have done so far i put my modem in bridge mode and bought new router with Qos which reduce bufferbloat. Im playing on faceit platform with their servers and antycheat they have decent server so i don't think its their problem. Its really annoying when its better to play on mobile internet rather than on fiber connection. pingplotter to server while gaming I linked pingplotter to server when i was playing on it and there were no issues. Like when i play at afternoon and late night I feel it's like i play 2 different games. Is there any other factor that i can check and it might casue this issue?

Pingplot looks very good actually. You need to ignore the hop close to the end, that is likely a router configured to limit it response to things like ping to prevent a denial of service attack against the router. It might be rigged to only respond to xxx number of ping packets per second total.

Maybe the issue is very intermittent. Try leaving a constant ping run in a background windows to the game server IP. You would think if there was a actual network issue when the game had issues your would also see issues in the ping window.

Many times when you see issues in a game but not actually in the network it is something like a video driver issue. This though would happen all the time and not be time of day related.

I doubt it is power you would have many other problems in your house if you had a power drop that was large enough to affect your router in some way.

Are you sure it is not purely because lots of people are playing that particular game. Maybe the game servers are overloaded. Can you try other servers or maybe a different game from a different company that uses a different data center.

Jul 8, 2021
I haven't tested it in other games i do play only one game.It is not a server side problem , i had contact servers admin. So I have internet issues that appear in time ranges and i can't see and can't do anything about them right?

Last edited:
Means nothing though.

Every test you have done shows you have no packet less or latency spikes.

This means it is much more likely it is something with your machine or the server. But you claim offline games are fine and you trust the server guys that they have no problems. You have therefore eliminated all possibilities.

Jul 8, 2021
I mean faceit is international gaming service I check their faceit server status it says its ok to play. I had issues not only on their service but also with other servers. Ping graph in pingplotter look always the same but game feeling is diffrent depend on time when i play for example now its 2am my game was ok to play but when i start to play at 8pm my game is unplayable laggy like i have extra 100ms idk what to do about it.

Try limiting your framerates to 200. Faceit does alot of checks on your computer to verify file operations to thwart hackers trying to inject processes. People on CS:GO are very competitive, but I don't think 300+ fps gives any competitive advantage.

You can limit your framerate using Riva Tuner which comes bundled with MSI afterburner.

Jul 8, 2021
I have ryzen 5600x and 1660super on 4:3 res so I have around 400-600fps i cap fps framerate at 300fps It didn't make any differnet. For sure it's my internet's problem but I can't prove it cuz my speeds and my ping/loss are good but when its up to play my game is laggy for some reasons.

It literally takes 2 seconds to try, you can set it right back after you try. This is called a process of elimination. You need to eliminate possiblities to narrow down the issue.

Network Var can be affect by large drops in frame rates. You want more consistent frame rates to provide the netcode a more consistent stream load of data. If this works, then you can increase your fps max until you find a nice setting where your system doesn't fluctuate too much and VAR stays low.

It also won't be annoying. I played Counter Strike very competitively in college like 20 years ago. Back then our computers were only hitting like 60fps. I'm not sure why the whole modern counter strike community thinks they need 300+fps to be competitive.

Last edited:
If its saying that theres not latency spikes or packet drops. Then likely the server you use is maxing out it’s processing power. They use soft virtual servers for most game servers, so the cpu cores and ram are allocatted and shared as part of a larger server. When the processor and ram get maxed out, you can have these issues.

TRENDING THREADS