Question Internet disconnects from WiFi when connected to 2.4G ?

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
Hello its me again pls I'm sorry. So It was doing fine earlier, until I did a speed test and although I am connected to the 2.4G WiFi, I don't have any internet connection. I am currently connected to my 5G WiFi rn but the WiFi modem is downstairs and it's slow compared to my 2.4G.

Also when I was playing Roblox with my friends, I got disconnected twice in a span of 1 hour.

Edit:

This is what the event logs look like: https://prnt.sc/rUMjenKWP6xt

Lutfij

Titan
If your other devices connected to your wireless router is operating without any issue, then the issue is on your platform/PC. What is the make and model of your wireless adapter in your PC? Can you go into Device Manager and see if any devices are flagged with a yellow exclamation mark?

You should include the version(not edition) of Windows 11. Have you tried uninstalling your wireless adapter's drivers, then manually reinstalling with the latest driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator ?

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
It's weird because right now it's working. Here's the full details of the drivers (version, and date) https://prnt.sc/argIoRgIPdPr. And no, there aren't any devices flagged with a yellow exclamation point.

The Windows 11 version I got is 23H2 (Which is not activated yet). I did troubleshoot it earlier by uninstalling the driver then restarting the PC, and I think that's why the WiFi is working right now.

I think it's worth pointing out though that when I go to the Network and Internet troubleshoot option, it says that my PC is not connected to the pc when in fact right now I am. Here's a pic:
https://prnt.sc/f4DzcnogmJNv

And also after I installed the drivers I don't know where they were installed. I can't find their file folders. Also it's worth nothing that my PC was upgraded ang got a full data wipe because I wanted to have a legit Windows. I replaced my CPU, MOBO, RAM, PSU, and case.

Ralston18

Titan
In Device Manager > View look to see if "Show hidden devices" is checked.

= = = =

Also add a post to include the full results of "ipconfig /all".

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

You should be able to copy and paste the full results into a post without needing to retype it all.

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : (Not saying lol)
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 74-56-3C-FC-AD-20
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 1:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-A5-54-AD-97-E3

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-A5-54-AD-97-E2

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-A5-54-AD-97-E2
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:4453:7f8:8e00:e309:7ac5:10bf:602b(Preferred)
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2001:4453:7f8:8e00:d4de:b67b:d8c7:593c(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::f6cc:b0d1:fe4:711e%12(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.6(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, 22 June 2024 9:19:38 pm
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, 23 June 2024 9:19:38 pm
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::1000%12
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 318809428
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-2E-07-6F-23-74-56-3C-FC-AD-20
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 2407:9800:142:c003::6
2407:9800:162:c003::6
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

" In Device Manager > View look to see if "Show hidden devices" is checked "

It's unchecked but I did check it earlier for troubleshooting. Don't know why it got unchecked.

Ralston18

Titan
Comments:

Per "ipconfig /all" your computer is (at the time "ipconfig /all" was run) being provided a DHCP IP address of 192.168.1.6 via the router at 192.168.1.1. That is normal as is the expected subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

However, that 192.168.1.6 IP address can and will change with future logins.

The lease time is only 24 hours. Should not make a difference per se but if possible increase the lease time to at least a week or more even as the router allows.

Disabling IPv6 has proven helpful for many people.

Also changing the DNS Servers to Google at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 may prove helpful as well.

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
Comments:

Per "ipconfig /all" your computer is (at the time "ipconfig /all" was run) being provided a DHCP IP address of 192.168.1.6 via the router at 192.168.1.1. That is normal as is the expected subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

However, that 192.168.1.6 IP address can and will change with future logins.

The lease time is only 24 hours. Should not make a difference per se but if possible increase the lease time to at least a week or more even as the router allows.

Disabling IPv6 has proven helpful for many people.

Also changing the DNS Servers to Google at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 may prove helpful as well.
How do I change the DNS servers to Google? I did the first one but Idk how to do the second one.

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-change-dns-servers-in-windows-2626242

If there is a problem then take some screenshots and post the screenshots here via imgur (www.imgur.com).
Neither disabling the IPv6 and changing DNS to 8 8 8 8 and 8 8 4 4 yielded any good results. My inboard WiFi is really weird. Sometimes it's fast and sometimes it's slow, and most of the time it is fluctuating. I no longer know what to do. I also went to discord to seek help and they told me that it is because my WiFi's modem is 802.11n and my inboard WiFi is 802.11ac and idk if that's true.

LAN is not an option for me because my room is upstairs and the modem is downstairs. It's not up for me to decide if I can run a LAN cable through the house.

Ralston18

Titan
Reading back:

Do I understand correctly that Wifi was working without issues prior to some wifi speed test?

If so, what speed test was run? What tool/utility?

Does the internal wifi card have external antennas? What about the downstairs modem - does it have antennas? Make and model modem? Make and model router?

Could or did someone move the antennas or otherwise re-arrange either modem and/or antennas?

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
Reading back:

Do I understand correctly that Wifi was working without issues prior to some wifi speed test?

If so, what speed test was run? What tool/utility?

Does the internal wifi card have external antennas? What about the downstairs modem - does it have antennas? Make and model modem? Make and model router?

Could or did someone move the antennas or otherwise re-arrange either modem and/or antennas?
When I was doing a speed test for a first time after I got my pc. The Speed test came out fine. But when I started updating my games on steam and epicgames, the download speed keeps fluctuating. Sometimes it's even worst. It's at 50mbps for 5 seconds and then it drops at as low as 0kb/s and it stays like that for 10 seconds and repeats the cycle.

I always run my speed test with Ookla. I ran both Download and Upload speed.

Yes, my inboard WiFI has antennas. I have the Gigabyte GA-A520M-DS3H-AC mobo incase it is needed. Yes our modem has antennas (2 to be precised) and it supports 2.4ghz/5ghz band. We only have a modem and not a router and here is the model of it. HG6245D and here's the link of the modem: https://www.router-switch.com/hg6245d.html

And no. The antennas are straight on the modem and no one has ever altered it. But my inboard's antennas are slightly on a 3 degree angle.

Last edited:

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
When I was doing a speed test for a first time after I got my pc. The Speed test came out fine. But when I started updating my games on steam and epicgames, the download speed keeps fluctuating. Sometimes it's even worst. It's at 50mbps for 5 seconds and then it drops at as low as 0kb/s and it stays like that for 10 seconds and repeats the cycle.

I always run my speed test with Ookla. I ran both Download and Upload speed.

Yes, my inboard WiFI has antennas. I have the Gigabyte GA-A520M-DS3H-AC mobo incase it is needed. Yes our modem has antennas (2 to be precised) and it supports 2.4ghz/5ghz band. We only have a modem and not a router and here is the model of it. HG6245D and here's the link of the modem: https://www.router-switch.com/hg6245d.html

And no. The antennas are straight on the modem and no one has ever altered it. But my inboard's antennas are slightly on a 3 degree angle.
Also when I mean about inboard WiFi I mean the built-in WiFi that is in the motherboard lol.

Ralston18

Titan
Use Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) to observe system performance.

First while not downloading and then, not changing anything, start a download.

Use all three tools but use only one tool at a time.

The objective being to determine what, if anything changes, on the system when a download is launched.

Determine what system resources are being used, to what extent, and by what app, utility, etc..

May take a bit of trial and error to get a sense of the process and then methodically manage the download and observation process.

Immediate objective being to discover if the culprit is related to the PC: hardware, software, or configuration.

FYI:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
Use Task Manager, Resource Monitor, and Process Explorer (Microsoft, free) to observe system performance.

First while not downloading and then, not changing anything, start a download.

Use all three tools but use only one tool at a time.

The objective being to determine what, if anything changes, on the system when a download is launched.

Determine what system resources are being used, to what extent, and by what app, utility, etc..

May take a bit of trial and error to get a sense of the process and then methodically manage the download and observation process.

Immediate objective being to discover if the culprit is related to the PC: hardware, software, or configuration.

FYI:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer
I downloaded Process Explorer and idk where to look for the WiFi option. I also don't understand a single thing in the resource monitor lol.

Ralston18

Titan
Resource Monitor: Use to observe system performance.

Start observing via the Overview tab. Open the window and position the window so you can continually see the performance graphs.

Three steps.

1)Simply do nothing - watch until system performance stablizes without any flucuations - basically all being static.

2) Launch a download as you normally do. Watch the Overview and pay attention to which graph(s) begin changing and especially any changes of larger magnitude.

3)Select the applicable tab (CPU, Memory, Disk, Network) to focus on what all is running and using that resource in particular.

Like any other tool, learning to use Resource Monitor (and the other tools) takes some time and effort.

The tools are not perfect but often prove helpful to at least narrow things down or to identify potential culprits.

In your situation, the objective is to find out what changes during downloads and what be causing that change.

How commonly does this happen. Could you move the PC close enough to the router so you could test using a ethernet cable. Could you use a long ethernet cable running over the floor to test.

Mostly this is to see if the problem is with the wifi or maybe something else. If it work fine on ethernet then you at least know it purely a wifi issue.

Wifi is tough many times to fix. Could be your neighbors is using his wifi more when you have troubles.

You might start to consider buying MoCA if you have coax cables or powerline networks. Powerline networks sometimes might be slower than wifi but that is only for downloading. They are much more stable for actually playing games since that requires very little bandwidth.

I reread this after. It is somewhat strange 5g works better but you never know since it depends what the house is built out of. If the 5g is stable even if it is slower it should be more than enough to run games. Most online games only need 1mbit/s...many are far less. Extra bandwidth/speed makes no difference the game will not use it.

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
I reread this after. It is somewhat strange 5g works better but you never know since it depends what the house is built out of. If the 5g is stable even if it is slower it should be more than enough to run games. Most online games only need 1mbit/s...many are far less. Extra bandwidth/speed makes no difference the game will not use it.
Well rn the 2.4GHZ is performing ok, I don't understand this pc for a single bit. But earlier it was also fluctuating. Staying at 6mb/s for 5 seconds and significantly dropping to as low as 300kb/s for 10 seconds or longer. Here's a pic https://prnt.sc/Cdldcir4BGEJ

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
Resource Monitor: Use to observe system performance.

Start observing via the Overview tab. Open the window and position the window so you can continually see the performance graphs.

Three steps.

1)Simply do nothing - watch until system performance stablizes without any flucuations - basically all being static.

2) Launch a download as you normally do. Watch the Overview and pay attention to which graph(s) begin changing and especially any changes of larger magnitude.

3)Select the applicable tab (CPU, Memory, Disk, Network) to focus on what all is running and using that resource in particular.

Like any other tool, learning to use Resource Monitor (and the other tools) takes some time and effort.

The tools are not perfect but often prove helpful to at least narrow things down or to identify potential culprits.

In your situation, the objective is to find out what changes during downloads and what be causing that change.
Ok this is what the graph looks like in the resource monitor: https://prnt.sc/-ygouqevytqn And also can u also teach me how to use process monitor, thanks!

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021
How commonly does this happen. Could you move the PC close enough to the router so you could test using a ethernet cable. Could you use a long ethernet cable running over the floor to test.

Mostly this is to see if the problem is with the wifi or maybe something else. If it work fine on ethernet then you at least know it purely a wifi issue.

Wifi is tough many times to fix. Could be your neighbors is using his wifi more when you have troubles.

You might start to consider buying MoCA if you have coax cables or powerline networks. Powerline networks sometimes might be slower than wifi but that is only for downloading. They are much more stable for actually playing games since that requires very little bandwidth.
It happens most of the time when I update my games on steam and epicgames. I could put my pc down near the ethernet and check whether it is the WiFi that is the problem. But I can't do that rn bc it's night time, so I'm gonna do that tomorrow.

I don't have any problem when it comes to the latency. It's just the fluctuations when I download and update my games. It will always take long when it does that. I went to discord yesterday and asked the same problems. They asked me about my router and my built-in WiFi and they concluded that it could be because my router an older 802.11n radio technology and my built-in WiFi uses 802.11ac, but I don't know if it's true.

It's just so weird that my old WiFi dongle is outperforming my built-in WiFi. It always remained at consistent 70mbps without any trouble.

Maverick1234

Reputable
Feb 20, 2021

Since I can no longer wait. I just did it today anyways. So I brought my pc down and plugged the hdmi to our living room's pc and I plugged in the LAN from the Router to my PC. And the Results from Ookla's Speed test is outstanding. Here's a pic: https://prnt.sc/qGsrVNNfaraB

I also went to Epicgames and had the GTA V downloaded again, and yet again wonderful results https://prnt.sc/B15OB-kIHPH2

I checked the task manager to check if it is really utilizing that much of network, and yeah it does. https://prnt.sc/ACvfCN7dSI4t

Even the built-in WiFi is more stable and is yielding better download speed now that is downstairs: https://prnt.sc/8-ajAO5D2IAG

But the thing the thing that I don't understand is how and why my WiFi dongle was able to perform ok in my room and hitting 80mbps max when my new motherboard's WiFi can't. They are both placed in the same matter, I don't understand a single bit.

Could it be because my router uses 802.11n and my built-in WiFI has 802.11ac. Because that is what someone told me on discord.

Edit:
Bruh I don't even need to use the LAN cable the 5gb band is able to achieve what the lan cable can achieve. It's just that my router is just way too far away from my PC. Photo: https://prnt.sc/ESYAh4bDAQwg

I also check the site of my router brand, and the 5Ghz uses AC while the 2.4GHz only uses N. Could it be true?

Last edited: