Internet Download speed LIMITED?

iHaveAquestion-

Prominent
Jun 18, 2017
I live In canada and currently have Telus Fiber 150 Which is 150mbps Down & 150Mbps Up. Though I am only getting a max of 23Mbps from anywhere I download, Steam,Origin,Uplay,Battlenet, Epic Games Launher. ANY website ro service. it ALWAYS gets maxed out at 23 ON a GOOD day! its usually between 16-20mbps I am currently using a 25 foot cat 6 cable Brand new* snd this has been happening since I got the internet. are there any limits i could have set on my computer or something that could be causing this? or is there a way to change it in my modem settings?

Solution
You should be able to get your sync speed (attainable rate) and throughput speed (real rate) from your router. Once you have this, you can decide if the internal network is limiting your speed, or if you have to look at the WAN side of the router (i.e. the cable from router to externals, or the ISP's service).

Router should give you both download and upload speeds. Perhaps take a note of attenuation and noise margin values on both too for future diagnosis.
You should be able to get your sync speed (attainable rate) and throughput speed (real rate) from your router. Once you have this, you can decide if the internal network is limiting your speed, or if you have to look at the WAN side of the router (i.e. the cable from router to externals, or the ISP's service).

Router should give you both download and upload speeds. Perhaps take a note of attenuation and noise margin values on both too for future diagnosis.

Solution
What rates do you get from the speedtest sites. It is best if you can use a speedtest site on your ISP network that way they can't claim it is the server causing the problem. If the ISP says you will get 150mbps and you don't tell them to fix it. They always say "up to" but it should not be massively less like you are seeing.

iHaveAquestion-

Prominent
Jun 18, 2017

Thanks for the response! but I am not an expert on this I might need a little more clarity on this answer please

iHaveAquestion-

Prominent
Jun 18, 2017

thanks for the response! The speed tests I am using is the actual Telus one on their website and I get around 170down and 150-170 upload I also used the Ookla one and the results were the same. and I asked the Telus Representative on the phone he said that the fibre 150 plan can support 150mbps download combined* so multiple devices can go at once using up to 150mbps shared BUT; if no other device is using it then I should NOT be limited. and my Xbox will get 50-120mbps (wire with cat 5-e) when downloading anything but even if I shut it completely off and unplug it and disable every single device in the house and download something it will still be 16-23Mbps down on my PC. I was thinking there might be permissions granted to the Xbox that my pc doesn't have that determines how much it can use of the bandwidth. I also checked to make sure my HDD read/write speeds were high enough for the downloads and they are (Seagate 4TB BarraCuda HDD, SATA III w/ 256MB Cache) If giving you guys any of my hardware info will help just let me know and I will do my best! and BTW when my technician came to my house to check it out he barely knew even knew what a Video game was...so he was pretty useless :(

iHaveAquestion-

Prominent
Jun 18, 2017

I do, sorry I put Mbps I thought it was MegaByte but yes I am speaking about MegaBytes. Fiber 150MBps and the speed tests show 170MBps Down and around 150MBps Up

Network connection speed is always in Mbps (megaBIT), so your speedtest is in megaBIT, and you fiber connection speed is in megaBIT.
When you download a file, Windows will show the speed in MB/s (megaBYTE)
I also think you are just confusing the two terms.

So as said by bill001g, your download speed of 23 MB/s is actually an internet speed of 174Mbps.

It is just strange that it is almost a exact multiple which is why I thought it was a calculation issue.

I would try a browser based download from some large site like microsoft.

The main difference is it appears as browser traffic rather than a special download port like most game things use

It almost has to be some type of traffic limiting software. I know the so called gamer acceleration drivers with the killer nic cards do strange stuff like this. It is not likely it is your router that is actually fairly complex to setup if it even has the feature. You could I suppose just factory reset it and then do a very basic setup so you know there are no limitations.

iHaveAquestion-

Prominent
Jun 18, 2017
okay, so my Fiber plan is 150 megabytes Down/Up. on my computer, I get between 16-23 megabytes/second. On my Xbox, I get between 50-120 megabytes/second. (not downloading/streaming/rendering, etc. stuff at the same time on any other devices. My question is; Why does the Xbox get way faster speeds compared to the computer, and Is there something I can do to increase my speed or change bandwidth priority? I have already checked my cables (I used cat 5-e, cat-6 and cat-7) I have restarted the modem and even factory reset it when the Telus guy came to my house and nothing changed.I have been testing downloads for the past 3 or 4 weeks trying different times of the day and night from tons of different places and it never changes. my friend with the same internet as me get 30megabytes/second on Steam easy.

If you say your plan is 150megabyte that would mean it is 1.2gbit. I seriously doubt you have a plan that fast.

Almost all network speeds are in megabits. The ISP quotes speeds in megabits and programs like speedtest quote speeds in megabits. File downloads are generally in megabyte. The conversion is almost 1/8 the speed in megabits...it tends to be some what lower because file transfer does not include the packet header overhead.

So be very careful the rates you are quoting. Like I said if you have a 150mbit plan a 16-23mbyte file download rate is the expected rate.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, I can't remember ever seeing a cable plan given as megabytes/second.

There's just a whole lot of megabits and megabytes floating around being used interchangeably in the descriptions of the issues. At this point, I think we need to see a screenshot of your cable offers package and a screenshot of your actual download speeds in Steam, etc. rather than re-enact Abbott & Costello's Who's on First?

iHaveAquestion-

Prominent
Jun 18, 2017
holy [redacted] am I having a stroke? here is what my ISP web page says

"Upload or download large files in seconds. Enough internet speed for gaming, or streaming multiple Netflix shows in 4K. Great for more than 8 devices.

Up to 150 mbps download
Up to 150 mbps upload

Unlimited monthly data"

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Watch the language.

Once again, this is the underlying problem. In a question about whether your ISP means Mbps or MBps, you tell us "mbps" which isn't actually a thing. Clarity is extremely important in questions like this and you're not being very detail-oriented, which is why I suggested screenshots as an alternative.

I checked Telus since you're apparently unwilling to supply the necessary information and they are clearly giving out their speeds in megabits per second (Mbps) not megabytes per second (MBps), just like pretty much every ISP on the planet. Given that there are eight bits to a byte, 18-20 megabytes per second is in the neighborhood of what you should be getting with a connection rated at 150 megabits per second.

If you can provide detailed information of how you are still having problems -- preferably screenshots so we can skip the vaudeville act -- I'm sure we can provide more help, but otherwise, I think there's nothing to see here.

iHaveAquestion-

Prominent
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you, everyone, for the help. Sorry I was not clear I was told when purchasing the Fiber 150 plan that it was in MB this is why I have been so confused. So I understand that getting 16-25MBps download on the pc is normal but why do I get 50-120MBps download on the Xbox then?

The most likely answer is the xbox is displaying results in megabits.

You have to go back to the beginning here are realize it is not possible for you to get 150MEGBYTE connection on any of the equipment your own even if it was offered.

You said the number you saw in speedtest sites was 170 which could be expected on a ISP that claims 150. It just means the ISP is delivering more than they promise. The reason neither of these number can be MEGABYTE is that port in your PC is only 1GIGABIT. 170 megabyte is 1.360 gigabits which is more than can possibly be transferred over a 1gigabit port.

To really get speeds that fast you would need equipment that has 10gbit ports.