Question Internet drops but not always completely

Feb 13, 2019
Hello,

I feel like I tried everything already and it drives me nuts, even my ISP don't know what is going on so I am posting here as my last resort.

I keep dropping connection every roughly 30 minutes. The drops are usually 3-5 minutes long. The thing is they are not always complete. What I mean by that is sometimes everything dies, websites won't load, games, voice comms etc. have no internet but sometimes only games, voice comms, programs have no internet access but websites load just fine.

When I use cmd and ping www.google.co.uk and my router and when I have such drop happening I can see "Request timed out." constantly on the google ping and router ping is fine. Even though it says request timed out I can go to Chrome, load www.google.co.uk and google in it whatever I want. That's partial DC. Sometimes even that doesn't work but most of the time DCs are partial like that. It happens on my laptop and desktop, tested on WIFI and Ethernet connection - makes no difference.

I tried the obvious things like resetting everything and re-configuring, removing antivirus, adding exceptions to windows firewall and antivirus.

I would appreciate any help and ideas what else could I try. Thank you.

It is likely a problem with the internet connection itself.

Run tracert and get the second hop in the path or the third if that does not respond. Let constant ping run to your router and that hop. The goal is to be able to prove to the ISP that there is no problem in your house but you have issue going to the first ISP router. You can check the cables inside your house and maybe the modem but it is not likely you are going to find anything. Of course make sure you reboot your router and modem the ISP is going to tell you to do that and you can correctly claim you already did and the problem persists.

Feb 13, 2019
It is likely a problem with the internet connection itself.

Run tracert and get the second hop in the path or the third if that does not respond. Let constant ping run to your router and that hop. The goal is to be able to prove to the ISP that there is no problem in your house but you have issue going to the first ISP router. You can check the cables inside your house and maybe the modem but it is not likely you are going to find anything. Of course make sure you reboot your router and modem the ISP is going to tell you to do that and you can correctly claim you already did and the problem persists.
Thanks for your reply. When I try tracert on random websites during DC I also end up having "request timed out" straight after the first hop where the router is the first one and yet I go to Chrome and every webpage loads just fine. This isn't normal because I cannot connect to games or TeamSpeak etc. so certainly it's down and it can't be saved copy in Chrome because I try random websites I never visit, do a search on eBay, YouTube videos buffer etc.

Last edited:
It sounds like you have a different problem if some application continue to work when you think the system is down.

Just a guess but maybe you have IPv6 support. IPv4 and IPv6 are actually different networks even though they share many routers. I would try to disable the IPv6 support in your pc...and your router if you like..and see if the problem is the IPv6 network is dropping but IPv4 is staying up..

Reactions: sinnertie